Veggies get a raw deal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

forest_girl

Forager
Nov 29, 2016
Edinburgh
I'm vegetarian and lactose intolerant but I also like to keep lightweight so try not to carry too much cooking stuff or fresh food.
Before I've had cous-cous (the lidl roasted vegetable one is vegan) and a sweet potato thrown into the embers.
Another favorite is Linda Mcartney veg sausages on a stick in front of the fire!

I'm considering getting a dehydrater so I can dehydrate sauces or individual ingredients like beans or potatoes for lightweight chillis and stews too... For now fresh vegetables are just too bulky and heavy to justify taking!

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I'm vegetarian and lactose intolerant but I also like to keep lightweight so try not to carry too much cooking stuff or fresh food.
Before I've had cous-cous (the lidl roasted vegetable one is vegan) and a sweet potato thrown into the embers.
Another favorite is Linda Mcartney veg sausages on a stick in front of the fire!

I'm considering getting a dehydrater so I can dehydrate sauces or individual ingredients like beans or potatoes for lightweight chillis and stews too... For now fresh vegetables are just too bulky and heavy to justify taking!

Would you dehydrate cooked potatoes, beans and veg or raw? Your idea is super, imo.

forest_girl

Forager
Nov 29, 2016
Edinburgh
Would you dehydrate cooked potatoes, beans and veg or raw? Your idea is super, imo.

Cooked. From what I have seen you get the same thing as the powder in cup-a-soups and pot noodles, so when you add water it rehydrates into something close to the original... Means you aren't carrying around the weight of the water in your meal... Never tastes quite as good though, if i had the extra space and weight allowance for proper cooking utensils and fresh veg I would always choose that option!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I can't say I use the Mouli much, it's a bit of a footer in these days of the whizzy stick blender, but mine would pack inside a pot I reckon. It even comes with different grades of plates.

I like old fashioned porridge oats that are soaked overnight and then brought up to the boil the next day. I also like the cold, set, porridge too though. Quite happy to eat that like polenta is taken. It's a slice of chewy, oaty, salty goodness :D

The dehydrator (mine's one of the simplest thirty quid, five tray ones) has been worth every penny. Dehydrated veggies are good, but fruits are superb.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I find lentils a bit of a disappointment. They look so colourful when they're dried, but they go to a yucky yellow coloured mush in about twenty minutes cooking.
Not saying they're not useful or nutritious, but they do rather need something else done with them, don't they ?
The Indians do a brilliant job turning them into dahl, and they can be used in veggie burgers and the like as well as in soup, or as a base of something to stuff the odd pepper with; just, y'know, lentils :rolleyes:

M

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I find lentils a bit of a disappointment. They look so colourful when they're dried, but they go to a yucky yellow coloured mush in about twenty minutes cooking.
Not saying they're not useful or nutritious, but they do rather need something else done with them, don't they ?
The Indians do a brilliant job turning them into dahl, and they can be used in veggie burgers and the like as well as in soup, or as a base of something to stuff the odd pepper with; just, y'know, lentils :rolleyes:

M

Yeah, they do need something with them (I like various meats but that would defeat the purpose of being vegan) A yellow colored mush? Do you only get the yellow ones? 20 minutes is longer than I normally cook them.

I do need to try dahl.

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Yeah, they do need something with them (I like various meats but that would defeat the purpose of being vegan) A yellow colored mush? Do you only get the yellow ones? 20 minutes is longer than I normally cook them.

I do need to try dahl.

Yes you can get different coloured one's, I use them for base of a veg soup mix, with yellow and green split peas and pearl barley.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Chick peas and pesto is easy, tasty, filling & nutritious.

Sent from my X_10 using Tapatalk

Snap!

Chick peas with Ramsom pesto and wrapped in flatbreads of various types - been one of my stand-by outdoor foods for a long time, and lots of scope to play with scavenged items, when and if found.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
By far its a good vegetable curry. Most commonly with sweet potatoes, peppers, onion, carrots etc and anything else found and put in. Plenty of hot sauce and garlic. Brilliant this time of year.

Tonyuk

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Oat porridge is very common in Scandinavia too. The boiled version.
In some parts in Central Europe they also do a cold version, where rolled oats are soaked overnight and served with shredded apples and other fruits, both fresh and dried.
My mum used to feed me that for breakfast until I moved from home age 18. I think it was a German or Swiss-German doctor that invented it around 100 years ago.

Personally I love to soak rolled oats in lactose free milk or Oat Milk. Love the flavour.

Carry a moullin in the backpack? Do you pack it above or below the pasta machine?
:)

Edit : the cold made Oats porridge is called Bircher müsli after the inventor, a Swiss German doctor Bircher-Benner

I have cold oats for breakfast most weekday mornings now, i started using recipes such as these;

http://wholefully.com/2016/03/07/8-classic-overnight-oats-recipes-you-should-try/

Brilliant and filling.

Tonyuk

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
:lmao: :D

While I mind, thank you for the recipe Ian :D

M

I had to find out what it was; partly out of curiosity, partly because it looked like it might suit a vegan friend whose GP has recently offered the following dietary suggestions, 'She told me that I needed to be completely dairy free, no alcohol, was sat there feeling good, yeah gonna boss this one! Already on it! Then she said NO BREAD NO SUGAR NO WHEAT!
1f633.png
��
1f633.png
��
1f633.png
��
1f633.png
��
1f633.png
�� 6 weeks!'

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
You obviously haven't tried.

No. I do not even own one. Have a Nutri bullet, mixer stick, Mixer, Ixe crusher ( heavy duty mixer) and a Food processor.
But no moullin. Or a pasta machine.
I fo not like the texture or taste of fresh pasta, Bronze die pasta is what I like.

When I am in Nature I like to go light. Ultra light.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Just made meself a toasted ham, onion, and halloumi pannini (pre fried the halloumi)

Yeah, its not bad at all. i couldn't eat too much of it, but its nice just as a flavouring

:D

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I know that they are both legumes but lentils are a big disappointment to me when compared with split peas. Why, I'm not sure. Maybe seasonings.
I'll eat it, set in front of me, but will never go out of my way to shop for lentils.

I have a good recipe for durum pasta dough, keeps for months in the freezer. While I like all sorts of factory durum pasta,
rolling my own allows me to make stained glass linguini with fresh or dried herbs rolled into the pasta. Nice with birds.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE