Veggies get a raw deal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I know real men eat steak, rare bloody steak, still mooing, whilst tavern wenches faint at their feet.

This is modern Britain and not everyone wants to eat charcoal flavoured incinerated burgers and chicken dippers cooked badly over the fire. Some have a more refined palate and want to graze healthy vegetarian options that are both tasty and nutritious.

So what's your favourite non meat meal cooked in the great outdoors.

Im looking for recipe ideas.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Haloumi's pretty good, and it's a useful protein as well as being tasty too.

I like tofu, but most meat eaters cringe at it, but haloumi's easy to carry and easy to use and the meat eaters like it as much as the vegetarians do.

Vegans ? stick to the tofu or seitan.

Haloumi fries well in a non stick pan, so you can keep it relatively low cal too. It's brilliant cut into chunks and dipped in batter and fried too though. (Gluten free flour and cornmeal mixed up with a bit of salt and fizzy water or beer makes a really good batter, and even those who aren't gluten free find it tasty)
I like halloumi cut small and added onto a wild green salad though, just as it comes.

There's also a very good recipe for decent home made veggie bangers that are pre cooked by steaming. They pack well in tinfoil and they'll hold up well to bbq or cooked over flames like ordinary ones do. I can find an online copy of the recipe ?

Other than that, stir fry is always good, and mexican food is excellent. Indian too, but the curry smell is inclined to linger.
Thing is though that both of those cultures make flat breads, and those can be cooked on a girdle/griddle/flat pan or even a decent clean hot rock :)
Flat breads rock :D they make a really filling meal, you can stuff them, they smell great when they're cooking, if you get the mix right then they're a 'complete protein' too (beans and grains).

I'm going to bed; this thread's making me hungry :eek: :eek:

M

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I love extra firm Tofu that has been touched by a flame. The best way is to slice it then place the slices in ine if those holders for fish, or it breaks and you loose a lot!

Tempeh is nice to fry.

Compo Semite

Feb 7, 2012
Wales
Marsh samphire, gently steamed with salt and pepper and butter(not vegan I know!) Couscous , easy to prepare and very filling.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'd have trouble coming up with a vegan meal. That said, there are loads of vegetables I love. As Toddy said, stir fry is always good. Raw is usually good also. The advantages of veg for camping include not usually needing refrigeration until cooked. Unfortunately most of my veg recipes include adding pork (bacon, jowl, or hock) or bacon grease to season but there are plenty of recipes out there that don't.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
vegetable kebabs on skewers over the coals, works with any veg

20150809_212315.jpg

I must admit though i am usually cooking them beside some meat, but my meat is cooked to perfection as requested by the diner, i see no reason for the quality or standard of food to drop just because we are outside

20150809_214458.jpg

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
+1 for halloumi cheese.
My boy is a vegetarian and we both eat veggie meals when out and about.
His favourite at the moment is creamy pesto pasta .

I usually fry chunky diced halloumi in a little oil, whilst boiling the pasta.
When the halloumi has got the golden crispy look I add halved cherry tomatoes and stir for about a minute.
Then I add a couple of generous dollops of pesto sauce ( about 2 big tbl spoons) and about half a small pot of double cream (small pot = 300ml) and heat again without letting it boil, stirring it continuously.
By then the pasta is Al dente and so I drain and throw it in the pesto saucepan with all the stuff

I then add raw spinach leaves and mix it all up .

I add a little chilli sauce to my taste (usually the Cholula brand one as it's not super hot , just tasty) .

Cheap, easy and very nutritious

👍

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
OK these are toxic for you Wayne:
Roasted mixed veg with halloumi and garlic tomato sauce is good
Vegetarian Moussaka
Peppers stuffed with couscous and goats cheese

These won't be toxic:
Spicy roasted nuts/seeds
Stuffed mushrooms and/or tomatoes
Hummus and veg/ home baked bread
Lots of soups/stews work out well over the fire
Marrows or butternut squash stuffed with a chickpea chilli and roasted

I'll have a think of some more.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am a self confessed omnivore and I overdosed on tofu (and soy protein of any sort gives me terrible wind) when working on a veggie orphanage in Thailand but I love
"African Pilaf"
8oz brown rice
3 onions
4 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon curry powder
juice of 1 lemon plus grated rind of 1/2 lemon
4oz sweetcorn (tinned or fresh) 4oz tomatoes (chopped fine - you can skin them but I do not bother ... or you can used tinned)
5oz red pepper 4oz salted peanuts
fry dry rice with onions in the oil stir in curry powder and lemon juice and rind plus 1 pint hot water and sweetcorn.
Cover and simmer for 20mins then add tomatoes and peppers. cook for 10 mins or until rice is tender and the liquid absorbed.
Add more water if needed.
Stir in peanuts. Season to taste and serve garnished with a couple of rings of peppers and slices of lemon.
Serves 2-3 campers.
Cooking time about 3/4 hour
Prep time - next to nothing
All good "keeping " ingredients - especially if you choose tinned not fresh toms and corn!

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
haloumi sounds like a popular choice....might have to give it a try, does it taste like feta?

As for veggie meals. My main one would be couscous. You can make anything from a porridge style breakfast with milk to a curry or salad
Well, its tastes good to my unrefined blood soaked palate anyway :rolleyes:

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Pre boiled to soften then Marinade cubed squash for a few hours then BBQ. Lots of nuts pulses, peppers roasted over the fire. I'm keen to try cooking nut roast in the Dutch oven also millet and mushroom pie.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
haloumi sounds like a popular choice....might have to give it a try, does it taste like feta?

As for veggie meals. My main one would be couscous. You can make anything from a porridge style breakfast with milk to a curry or salad
Well, its tastes good to my unrefined blood soaked palate anyway :rolleyes:
No, haloumi has a very bland taste. It squakes ehen you chew it.
Not sure if you can get a similar, but Finnish cheese in UK? Tastes more.

I am an omnivore, but most we eat meals are vegetarian.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Haloumi when roasted /fried has a crunchy outer and it's a bite of salty goodness :) It browns beautifully, but it cooks on the outside even in batter.

Like a heavier/thicker version of mozzarella balls in texture I suppose….kind of.

Vegan beer though….there's at least 5,000 available :D
http://www.barnivore.com/beer

M

Last edited:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Simplest of them all to cook - Jacket potato. Wrap in foil or appropriate leaves, place in embers, done. Serve with Cheese or baked beans... Nice and simple...

About the only veggie meal I cook on a fire tho...

J

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Not vegetarian unless specifically stated. Beer is clarified using Isinglass, which is basically fish bladders.

Whisky, vodka and rum are though!

I drink Corona and Peroni... They're vegetarian / vegan. Not all beer uses fish guts to settle yeast sediment. There aren't that many which do I believe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE