Veggies get a raw deal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
haloumi is amazing roasted... or dry fried. it has to be eaten immediately though, while still good and hot or it will turn bland and squeaky. I love the stuff.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Simplest of them all to cook - Jacket potato. Wrap in foil or appropriate leaves, place in embers, done. Serve with Cheese or baked beans... Nice and simple...

About the only veggie meal I cook on a fire tho...

J
Yup +1 to those too.

Also very nice is to have a whole sweet potato the same way , wrapped in leaves or foil over the embers, perfect for dinner or pudding.
Superfood goodness and the kids love it...

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Cut redskin potatoes in 1/2 or 1/3. Boil in salt water until just starting to soften. Drain & chill.
1C olive oil, 2 tbs Italian Mixed Herbs, 2-3 smashed cloves garlic, keep in a jar. "= Goop"
2tbs goop in a pan. Smash the potatoes to 1/2" thick & into the hot pan, baste with goop and fry to golden.
Salt to your preference.

Here's the dope on the Quinoa cookbook. Just cook like rice = 1+2 water, 20-25 minutes medium.

Cooking With Quinoa by Rena Patten. 2011, New Holland Pub. ISBN 97817 42570 556

Everything from Soups, Breads & Pasta thru Meat & Poultry, Seafood and Sweet Things.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Potatoes roaste in the ashes is a culinary experience, the skin is the best....
I guess sweet potatoes must be delicious too!
Aye, i agree! On a potato the skin is the best , leave it on .

On a sweet potato not so much, but YOU DO have to cook it in its skin.

After its cooked , the sweet potato skin is easily split apart or pulled off .
We just make a lengthways cut , open the skin apart and eat the spud with a spoon , as it's so soft.
No butter or beans or anything other...
👍

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Here on island, we have several tubers the locals call Sweet Potato, including the one called Sweet Potato in N. America and Europe.
That one is called American S. P. here by the spanish speaking expats.
The other ones I think are different sorts of Yams, Taro and Cassava, plus Sweet Potato different varities including the American one.
My favourite is a pale yellow/ greyish large, long root ( no clue about the name) that tastes deliciously nutty when cooked.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
1: Bury potatoes in the hot ash and leave for 45 min or so.
N.B. no foil!

When done, rake out and let cool for a minute. Brush off remains if ashes, split open. Salt. If you have, butter or Olive oil if vegan.

2: grill corn on the knob. Insert a sharpened stick at stalk end.
You can leave a layer of the covering leaves on, then just before eating you place the ear in the fire to burn them off - more smoky flavour. Salt, butter/ oil.

Dec 10, 2016
yorkshire
I always opt for a hearty homemade veg soup well loaded with veg, as much as you can get in your blender. Peppers, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes veg stock salt and pepper etc. Anything you like.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah, but a tattie masher does the job too, and that just runs on elbow grease :D

Y'know what's good cooked on a fire/ashes ? any kind of stew. Long and slow and thorough.
Brown and season veggies, add stock and beans of some kind (make sure there's enough water if they're dried) and set the covered pot in hot ashes, or just to the edge of the fire where it gets hot but not boiling.
Barley good done like this, so are chopped oats, they become soft and chewy and nutty. All good.

M

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
True, can be mashed up, with a fork in worst case ( I like to walk light).

Let us not forget the Food That Created Scotland, Oat Porridge!
Tasty, simple, filling....and lightweight.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Mimbari Flarn, tofu, peas, onion, almonds & spices.
Easy to make and solid enough to survive a day or two in a backpack.
recipe here : http://www.goldkanal.de/html/hgrund_dining/flarn.html
View attachment 42829

Ingredients:
- 2 teaspoons (TL) of oil
- 75 g of onions cut into cubes
- 2 tsp of finely chopped garlic
- 1,5 tsp finely chillies
- 2 TL Garam Masala
- 400 g protein blocks (tofu)
- 450 g of peas
- 2 eggs (e.g., earth-chickens)
- 90 g dried breadcrumbs (if necessary, breadcrumbs)
- 60 g of chopped almonds
- 0.5 teaspoon salt
- 0.5 teaspoon black pepper

Before you start mixing the ingredients, the oven is heated to 180 ° C.

Since I had no finished Garam Masala in the house I have which itself prepared from:
- 4 tablespoons (EL) coriander seed
- 2 tablespoons white cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons of cardamom seeds
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 grated nutmeg

Picture /pictures/hintergrund/dining/flarn2.jpg Okay the amount is enough for the next two years ;-).

First, the onions and chiles are stewed in oil for 2 minutes. Then add the Garam Masala, salt and pepper and steam everything with stirring for another 2 minutes.
Then add the tofu cubes and carefully apply them, so that the spices stick on all sides.
Picture /pictures/hintergrund/dining/flarn3.jpg Then add the peas (thaw in the deep-frozen beef before!) And stir everything together and let it simmer for 4 minutes.
Then take it from the stove and let the whole cool down.

As long as the pan is cooled, the almonds can be roasted in another pan.

The protein mixture is now added to the blender together with two twisted eggs. By constantly switching on and off the whole is blended. Here I must say that the mass was so tough that it could only be mixed with the help of a wooden spoon. Picture /pictures/hintergrund/dining/flarn4.jpg One should better take a blender.
Then the mixture is put into a bowl and the breadcrumbs and the roasted almonds are mixed. Important: use a wooden spoon!

If everything is mixed thoroughly, the mixture is put into a baking dish. The floor can be laid out with baking paper.
Now everything has to bake for 20 minutes.
Picture /pictures/hintergrund/dining/flarn5.jpg Leave to cool and cut into 2.5 cm x 2.5 cm cubes.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Oat porridge is very common in Scandinavia too. The boiled version.
In some parts in Central Europe they also do a cold version, where rolled oats are soaked overnight and served with shredded apples and other fruits, both fresh and dried.
My mum used to feed me that for breakfast until I moved from home age 18. I think it was a German or Swiss-German doctor that invented it around 100 years ago.

Personally I love to soak rolled oats in lactose free milk or Oat Milk. Love the flavour.

Carry a moullin in the backpack? Do you pack it above or below the pasta machine?
:)

Edit : the cold made Oats porridge is called Bircher müsli after the inventor, a Swiss German doctor Bircher-Benner

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE