Turntable Geekery

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
The B&O stuff I have was never the 'best' but it still sounds absolutely superb. I also own few CDs, if I'm listening to music it either comes off a hdd or a slab of vinyl.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
A m8 got given a stereo the other month off his aunt. its an old turntable with a single tape deck set into the top. its pretty massive tbh.
the most amazing thing is the sound from it, he got a load of vinyl with it and they sound AMAZING! lots of mono stuff but it didn't matter its just brilliant for any records you can think of.
they dont make em like they used to tbh.
digital sound is nice but your are seing more people switch back to original tech for sound recently as its just better, there's more feeling and heart to it rather then some clinical noise reduction technique pitch adjusted rubbish.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
A classic set-up Alan.
A couple of pics of my DIY tweaked Thorens TD160. Sorry the pictures are naff but the family compact is ancient and the lens is filthy.

dsc01980w.jpg

dsc01985h.jpg

dsc01983m.jpg

dsc01982ui.jpg

Quality tune Rez! not heard that in years.

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
A classic set-up Alan.
A couple of pics of my DIY tweaked Thorens TD160. Sorry the pictures are naff but the family compact is ancient and the lens is filthy.

dsc01980w.jpg

dsc01985h.jpg

dsc01983m.jpg

dsc01982ui.jpg

God that takes me back! First turntable I bought and never equalled until I purchased a Gryodec albeit more for the looks than sound.

Still saving for a matching silver SME arm though and somewhere in the loft I have the SME skeletal chrome arm that was often used on the Thorens.

Cheers

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
Sadly all my 'Hi Fi' is packed away now and we just use CD's in a Bose Lifestyle. not bad sound form it though.
but not the same.
Alan

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I guess we all recall these turntable essentials...

2p%20piece.jpg
43390X.jpg
toby_christian_red_elastic_band.jpg

It was great to see someone else use the term 'needle' in place of the techno-rubbish these things get called.

A living room/workshop shows a duality of purpose, good practice and positive thinking. Unfortunately, one's partner seldom see's these benefits...

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Go on then - what did you rewire it with? I've got a load of mil-spec kapton-sheathed silver / copper screened twisted pair in the cupboard somewhere that I've been meaning to rewire my Bix / OL-1 combo with for years...

I'm kinda scuppered on cartridges though - I picked up an Ortofon MC-25FL at a very reasonable second-hand price a few years back, but I can't afford to replace it with anything equivalent... And I'm not sure where or how I'd get it re-tipped.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE