Truffle Hunting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

timf2009

Tenderfoot
Nov 16, 2009
Hamburg Germany
I had the opportunity to try truffle hunting a few days ago. I had always associated pigs with trufle hunting but according to the lass that took us out to the woods dogs are better as they don't bite off your fingers when you try to retrieve the truffle!

Our "hunter" was a 2 year old golden lab called Igor.

4177287493_600511e64d_b.jpg

He was pretty sharp (when we could persuade him to look for truffles instead of bringing us sticks to throw for him :) )

Truffles apparently grow mostly in valleys where the ground is always moist and in the locale of beech, oak or poplar trees according to Igor's handler but tbh he just seemed to stop in the middle of anywhere and start digging.

The truffles are very close to the surface, an inch or two down at most and they certainly don't look like much when they come up.

4178045576_b75cce7d1e_b.jpg

After only a few minutes we had a reasonable return.

4177285965_39273db2f9_b.jpg

I didn't get any pics of the final haul but after 1 hour we had about a dozen truffles.

The ones we found were smooth and black truffles. White truffles apparently go for around £1200/kg. :eek:

When we got back they were prepared for us and we had them finely chopped on hot buttered toast. They tasted.....ok. I don't know what I'd expected but given the furore around them I expected more. TBH I preferred the boletus soup we got afterwards :D

Still it was an interesting experience and a good excuse for a walk in the woods.

Tim

Last edited:

timf2009

Tenderfoot
Nov 16, 2009
Hamburg Germany
@ Gowersponger: the black ones we found sell for 200-600 euro/kg!

@ David & Ocean: If you have an intelligent pup I reckon you could do it. The truffles smell very strongly even to our noses> To a dog they must smell like a fireworks display looks to us!

Tim

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Truffle Hunting is what we used to call those lonely trips into the bushes, armed with a shovel and a roll of special paper......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE