Lovely Noodles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Surely if you are buying packs of noodles from Tesco and then adding a bought pack of stock powder then...what's the point?
Just buy the tub of noodles as is.
You've as much control over the ingredients.
Yeah, making it all from scratch, I can see why someone would do that.
But buying the separate bits that have already been mass produced? Not sure I see what that's achieving.

grainweevil

Forager
Feb 18, 2023
Cornwall
A noodle flavour not currently offered in a pot?

You could argue making from scratch is foolish - if you're going to that trouble why not make something nicer anyway? :)

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Ear fungus that's been dried and powdered?
That's how it's used in Asian cooking (as a thickening agent), but not sure how well it would bind with the other ingredients.

Yes - also heard that - not much flavour i've found in Jelly Ear however and as you say I'm not sure if it will interfere with the gluten elements. I shall give it a go.

I did make Pasta few years ago with Dandelion root in.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Pasta / Noodles:

lunga vita alla differenza.

差异万岁
Chāyì wànsuì.

At the risk of being frogmarched off this site: I would never use pot noodle or equivalent and I don’t much like dehydrated food packs.

Rice and pasta are both high density, easily portable dry foods. What’s more they come in subtle varieties Even on a weeks expedition I can take plastic mugs full of beans, chickpeas, peas and sweetcorn. Lentils are sooooo flexible. I have little double ended cruets from Military Mart with salt pepper chilli and curry. Oxo (various)takes up no space at all. I just wish there was a dehydrated soy.

Leftovers from the night stop = lunch.

For me, camp cooking is half of what it’s all about.

I’ll get my coat. :coffee2:

Edited to add:
This is clearly a passionate subject. Six posts since I started writing mine!
Apologies for any overlap in the interim.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Pasta / Noodles:

lunga vita alla differenza.

差异万岁
Chāyì wànsuì.

At the risk of being frogmarched off this site: I would never use pot noodle or equivalent and I don’t much like dehydrated food packs.

Rice and pasta are both high density, easily portable dry foods. What’s more they come in subtle varieties Even on a weeks expedition I can take plastic mugs full of beans, chickpeas, peas and sweetcorn. Lentils are sooooo flexible. I have little double ended cruets from Military Mart with salt pepper chilli and curry. Oxo (various)takes up no space at all. I just wish there was a dehydrated soy.

Leftovers from the night stop = lunch.

For me, camp cooking is half of what it’s all about.

I’ll get my coat. :coffee2:

Edited to add:
This is clearly a passionate subject. Six posts since I started writing mine!
Apologies for any overlap in the interim.

How about ? https://www.amazon.co.uk/itsu-MisoE...-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

1697819364535.png

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Surely if you are buying packs of noodles from Tesco and then adding a bought pack of stock powder then...what's the point?

I half agree with you but I tend to have the other stock ingredients around the place anyway and I can avoid some of the additives.

Having said that...

Chuck a mug shot into a packet of noodles,job jobbed.

Not seen them but the ingredients list looks better, thanks.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Tesco do a two pack of Udon noodles. They only need heating up as they are not dried and have no added salt or msg. They are individually wrapped and don't need to be kept refrigerated. They can be spiced up obviously and at £1 they work out superb value for the starters of two meals.
Straight to wok noodles.
We use them regularly at home and on camp!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I like the itsu rice noodle satay pot. Expensive, but tasty, and I love satay.
I can't eat the normal wheat noodles anyway, so I'm pretty much confined to this one product unless I do it myself from scratch with dried rice noodles. Good job I like it!
But the price makes it a treat rather than a cheap everyday snack to just pop into the pack.
I have some dried rice noodles, they are a lot thinner than the pot ones, but with homemade satay sauce, they are not bad, but you do need to use a pan to warm the sauce, which means washing up needed, kinda defeats the pot noodle idea, and means extra weight.

If I'm being lazy, I get a pre prepared stir fry satay sauce. Sweet and sour works well too. I'm going to try black bean next. I've only just started exploring home made rice pot noodles.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE