Lovely Noodles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
I know you.
You like a bowl of noodles whilst out sitting in the woods as well, eh?
I know I do!
Just had these:

53269740099_a15218bf55_n.jpg

They come from Poundland.
I'm going to stick my neck out here - they're probably the loveliest bowl of dried noodles I've ever had!
There, I've said it.
It's out there.
I can't take it back.
They had just the right amount of chilli in them to give them a background zing without knocking your socks off. The soup/broth base is just gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous. And they came with a little placcy fork as well.
One to add to your outdoor menu.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Yeah, I like those ones too, just need to add teryaki or chilli jerky. TBH any of the SE asian noodle bowls are better than eurpean "Pot Noodles"equivalents.

Last edited:

grainweevil

Forager
Feb 18, 2023
Cornwall
I'm going to stick my neck out here - they're probably the loveliest bowl of dried noodles I've ever had!
Them's fightin' words!

Rather more expensive than Poundland, unfortunately, but in tune with the Asian noodles beating western equivalents, I rather like the Nissin Soba ones. I'm assuming, as my understanding of bushcraft develops, I will come to know from which tree these pot-shaped fruits of noodley goodness come. Presumably an Asian native and thus at a disadvantage in our climate...?

Reactions: ESpy

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I like noodles but not sure about the ingredients such a MSG. (My body is a temple and all that, one that's been in ruins for years and covered in weeds...).

Doesn't anyone make their own with some plain instant poodles and home made seasoning?

As for a plastic fork, surely a set of chopsticks can be fashioned in the wild?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I like noodles but not sure about the ingredients such a MSG. (My body is a temple and all that, one that's been in ruins for years and covered in weeds...).

Doesn't anyone make their own with some plain instant poodles and home made seasoning?

Noodles is just pasta and pasta is super easy to make. One doesn't need the whole film-flam rolling machine.

Reactions: crosslandkelly

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Noodles is just pasta and pasta is super easy to make. One doesn't need the whole film-flam rolling machine.

Yes, we used to make a fair bit of our own pasta/noodles when we had hens. I can cope with sourcing acceptable noodles it was more the wish to use flavourings with less E numbers. Something like home dried chilli and shiitake powder?

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Yes, we used to make a fair bit of our own pasta/noodles when we had hens. I can cope with sourcing acceptable noodles it was more the wish to use flavourings with less E numbers. Something like home dried chilli and shiitake powder?
Ok gotcha now - so getting flavours into the noodles?

How about

1697749490718.png

grainweevil

Forager
Feb 18, 2023
Cornwall
BBC Panorama 1957. (early April). The first broadcast of its kind ever.

Clearly cultivars. ;)
Noodles is just pasta and pasta is super easy to make.
Isn't it more that pasta is just noodles? Marco Polo or some other similarly minty guy is supposed to have nicked the notion from the East and inflicted it on the Italians. This cultural disaster culminating in them spending many years finding new shapes to make them in and believing it results in a completely different dish.

Reactions: Pattree and TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Clearly cultivars. ;)

Isn't it more that pasta is just noodles? Marco Polo or some other similarly minty guy is supposed to have nicked the notion from the East and inflicted it on the Italians. This cultural disaster culminating in them spending many years finding new shapes to make them in and believing it results in a completely different dish.

Feeling a dangerous thread hijacking situation possibly arising.
Not sure and you are probably correct - but can you 'cook' ( add boiling hot water ) to pasta ( vermicelli ?? ) and then have it ready to be consumed??

I like the idea of flavouring noodles - I'm off for a squizz on the t'internet

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
The time I had a bowl like that....it was vile.

Ill stick to proper pot noodles. Or instant ramen.

But some noodles I do like.

Weesi

Forager
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland
Tesco do a two pack of Udon noodles. They only need heating up as they are not dried and have no added salt or msg. They are individually wrapped and don't need to be kept refrigerated. They can be spiced up obviously and at £1 they work out superb value for the starters of two meals.
Straight to wok noodles.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

Don’t worry about msg. It got an undeserved bad press back in the 60’s. It’s an old ingredient that occurs in nature, and contains 2/3rds less sodium than common salt.

There is nothing to suggest it’s bad for you at all.

A quick google, but there are loads of scientific articles and studies, all agreeing the scaremongering was due to misinformation by a professor who claimed Chinese food gave him a headache.

Reactions: ESpy

grainweevil

Forager
Feb 18, 2023
Cornwall
Feeling a dangerous thread hijacking situation possibly arising.
Not sure and you are probably correct - but can you 'cook' ( add boiling hot water ) to pasta ( vermicelli ?? ) and then have it ready to be consumed??
Given the little bits of pasta in cup a soup minestrone and the like, it seems yes. Up to a point.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

I had a look - I'm thinking whatever flavour needs to be introduced in powdered state with the flour or via an Infusion within the water as opposed to be able to just introduce small extra elements into the mix , I think it wouldn't bind and just break into a mess.

As the noodle is purely carbohydrate one needs to be careful to not interfere with the gluten.

So flavour wise anything that can be dehydrated , then powdered to a fine milled format would I think stand a reasonable chance of being flavourful.

I am stuck in terms of ideas for what one could potentially introduce however , currently my list as powder is

Dried Peanut Butter PB2 - this I think may interfere with the consistency somewhat but I'm happy to try it out.

Dried Pumpkin - powdered - it is the season.

Oxo cube / Vegemite???? Dried and then added like a bouillon??

Dried Shrimp paste - You can get it powdered from Amazon.

Curry - actually introduce the curry seasoning into the flour stage.

Whilst I'm sure I could make any of the above and then dry them to use - my concern would be that of rancidity and effective shelf life without accidently poisoning oneself.

Last edited:
Reactions: slowworm

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE