trangia argument

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

what type of stove?

• gas

Votes: 105 21.9%
  • trangia

Votes: 375 78.1%

• Total voters

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
I also got that idea but decided against trying because somewere on this forum I have seen a picture of a melted hobostove made from aluminium.
Alu doesn´t give you any warning like turning red, it just collapses!

nomade

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 8, 2004
Sutton (Surrey, UK)
Yes Husky, this happened to me too as in fact I had already tried this experiment but never actually cooked anything: the windscreen turned red and seems ''changed'' ever since.

I have also the steel version of the Swedish army cookset so the windscreen would be made of tin I expect (this version of the cookset dates from wartime when Sweden couldn't import aluminium).

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Brize Norton / Midlands (rest)
I've got both the aluminium and stainless steel versions of the Swedish Army Trangia, and I'm in something of a quandry.....

In theory, the stainless version should be almost perfect, but I'm finding, when cooking stews in the big pot, it tends to burn the food, right above where the flame is, even when turned down using a simmering ring.

I'm putting this down to the reduced head transmission of the stainless, so it keeps the heat a little more localised, leading to a 'hot spot' and consequent burning. For boiling water, or boil in the bag, it is ideal.

I'm thinking of getting a stainless Tatonka burner and simmering ring, has anyone used a Tatonka burner with one of these stoves? Will the standard Trangia simmering ring fit this?

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've got both the aluminium and stainless steel versions of the Swedish Army Trangia, and I'm in something of a quandry.....

In theory, the stainless version should be almost perfect, but I'm finding, when cooking stews in the big pot, it tends to burn the food, right above where the flame is, even when turned down using a simmering ring.

I'm putting this down to the reduced head transmission of the stainless, so it keeps the heat a little more localised, leading to a 'hot spot' and consequent burning. For boiling water, or boil in the bag, it is ideal.

When you say "Swedish Army Trangia", you mean set with the oval pot, right? See, the Swedish army used to have their own version of the "real" Trangia, Same burner as in the kit you appear to be talking about, somewhat hourglass shape on the set up stove (may ha e been made by Optimus, but not sure). About 20 some years ago rangers (etc) got the nice one, the rest got the oval pot with the burner kit. No idea what the current kit is.

I like the stainless version, since I have seen Al ones melt in hot fires when people have tried to melt snow without paying attention.

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
I have the version (ebay, about £10) with the oval pot and the shallow cup with the long hinged handle. I have taken the grey paint off with oven cleaner, and it looks better now.

I don't really have a big gripe, it's just that the stainless pot seems to hold the heat in a spot above the flame, causing stew to burn and stick, unless the burner is turned very low using the simmer ring. Long cooking for stew is not so bad, but frying of onions initially (used a little oil) is a task that needs constant motion in the pot, or they will stick.

I'm using the civvy trangia burner in mine, as it's smaller when packed (I have all manner of extras packed into the pot as well), and because it has a simmer ring, whereas the military burner does not work well with the simmer ring, as the mouth of the burner is too wide.

I'm considering one of the Tatonka stainless burners, but I need more info regarding the sizes first.

The smaller fuel capacity of the civvy Trangia burner does not seem to be an issue, when cooking stews, as the flame is so small, using the simmer ring closed 3/4, that it will burn for a couple of hours on a full load of meths.

It's a case of familiarity with what you have, at the end of the day. I'm learning what works, by using this setup in my kitchen at home, to make life easier when I take it outdoors.

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
I'm using the civvy trangia burner in mine, as it's smaller when packed (I have all manner of extras packed into the pot as well), and because it has a simmer ring, whereas the military burner does not work well with the simmer ring, as the mouth of the burner is too wide.

I'm considering one of the Tatonka stainless burners, but I need more info regarding the sizes first.

The tatonka burner is the same diameter as the civvy trangia burner, and a little taller, perhaps 20 mm or so from memory.

In my experience it does not burn as hot as the trangia burner, but burns for considerably longer on the same amount of fuel.

See here for some comparisons I done. :)

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69469

nomade

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 8, 2004
Sutton (Surrey, UK)
You mention a "civvi Trangia burner" but I thought both the army and civvi burners were exactly the same. In fact the only thing they have in common...I may be mistaken.

I heard that generally stainless steel is a poor heat conductor. Aluminium is a good one. Carbon steel is a good one too.

I am not too sure if my Swedish army cookset is made of carbon or stainless steel.
Nige7whit are you sure what you have is stainless steel? Could it be carbon steel?

My cookset is a WW2 issue I think. It would seem in those days stainless steel was uncommon. It has invaded (civilian) kitchens rather recently.

In my own kitchen | have noticed that all my stainless steel pots get the food to stick/burn. By the way, good idea Nige7whit to test camping cooksets at home first. If they fail outdoors you don't always have the luxury of a Plan B...

With the steel Swedish army pot my experience of it is only with boiled food so far. I have more experience with the alumium version and it doesn't seem to particularly get things to stick or burn.

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
You mention a "civvi Trangia burner" but I thought both the army and civvi burners were exactly the same. In fact the only thing they have in common...I may be mistaken.

I heard that generally stainless steel is a poor heat conductor. Aluminium is a good one. Carbon steel is a good one too.

I am not too sure if my Swedish army cookset is made of carbon or stainless steel.
Nige7whit are you sure what you have is stainless steel? Could it be carbon steel?

My cookset is a WW2 issue I think. It would seem in those days stainless steel was uncommon. It has invaded (civilian) kitchens rather recently.

In my own kitchen | have noticed that all my stainless steel pots get the food to stick/burn. By the way, good idea Nige7whit to test camping cooksets at home first. If they fail outdoors you don't always have the luxury of a Plan B...

With the steel Swedish army pot my experience of it is only with boiled food so far. I have more experience with the alumium version and it doesn't seem to particularly get things to stick or burn.

I think we're on the same wavelength regarding the heat conduction of stainless v aluminum. I got the stainless trangia, because of the fact that it would likely be tougher, and the stainless not tainting food as much, if it's an issue at all.

I am pretty confident it it stainless, it would have rusted by now, if carbon steel.

Regarding the burners, the military trangia burner is significantly bigger than the one that comes with the Trangia 27 etc. The base that holds the meths is bigger, holds more meths, the flange diameter is larger, and I think it's a little taller too. The mouth of the burner is a little large for the civvy trangia simmer ring to sit on without a balancing act.

For my purposes, I prefer the civvy trangia burner in the military cookset, as it allows me to get more accessories inside the pot with the lid on, I have:

the issue meths flask,
swedish firesteel,
small bottle of olive oil,
small bottle of washing up liquid,
small bottle of soy sauce (for noodles),
plastik spork,
piece of scotchbrite scourer,
Trangia pot grip
civvy trangia burner with simmer ring

I might try an experiment sometime.... I have been thinking about getting a piece of metal to place under the base of the large pot, to spread the heat better (like a really thick bottom saucepan, but a seperate piece). I have access to several metals, so it could be stainless, alloy, maybe copper, or even Titanium. I could cut it to a size that it would even pack away into the cookset for storage.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I just couldn't read all posts so maybe this question has been asked before. Apologies if it has:

I have a Swedish army cooking set which is just the military version of Trangia.

Like said in previous posts I experienced slow cooking and the problem of soot (from methyl. spirit).
BUT has anyone used the Swedish army set or its civilian version Trangia as a wood (or twig) burning stove? By just piling your twigs and branches under the protection of the cooking set's windscreen and putting your saucepan in its usual place for cooking? That could be a life saver when fuel has run out or as a deliberate choice to avoid using methyl. spirit. Has anyone tried that? I haven't but think I will give it a try.

Nomade, the Swedish cookset is nothing like a real Tangia, not nearly as good. Some stove sets like the Optimus Tor/91/Purple Flame are used over there I beleive. Don't compare the oval setups with a real Trangia, they are not in the same class of cook setups mate.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Any stove that is carefully designed for endless campsite entertainment gets my vote. I am particularly fond of the frisbee and nipple grippers (which usefully seem to double as a frying pan and pot grip).

That aside, i have various ultra light gas stoves (great for military use with a tiny gas cartridge and aluminium mug- but forget it if there is any wind), a peak one petrol stove- fun, but rather bulky, reletively heavy, and seems to get through fuel quickly, and the age old hexy burner (the fumes i am told make you sterile- depending on the hormonal situation of your wife, this can be a highly rated credential of any stove).

The trangia as cracking for group use (combined with an endless supply of replacement rubber O rings), copes well in the wind, and actually (with a few exceptions) in test brings water to the boil in a broadly comparative time to most other types of stove. I can't help but feel that people who whinge about their slowness are simply overly taken in by the hearty roar of the petrol and gas offerings.

Trangias are the only way to go in my opinion. Mind you I haven't used it in extremely cold conditions or at high altitude.

Here in Australia you can buy metho anywhere and its cheap. Gas canisters for small stoves are hard to find outside of the bigger Cities\towns.

They must put something in your metho over there to make it "smally", doesn't smell here.

If you add roughly 10% water into your metho it stops the bottom of your pots going sooty black.

New trangia pots, like a new billy won't boil as quick as a seasoned one. I have observed my Trangia will boil 1L of water just as quickly as a jetboil gas stove.

Dan :)

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Where does this theory about adding water to meths come from?
If you add water it slows the cooking time,this is because some of the heat generated by the meths burning is used to evaporate the water.
Now my self I'm never in that much of a rush that I need the water to boil a few seconds quicker so the time delay in boiling doesn't bother me.What bothers me is the fact that I'm burning more meths for the same end result,this means that I have to carry more fuel just to waste it.
I honestly believe that for simplicity,durability and ease of use,you can't beat a trangia,It's a self contained cookset including every thing you need and space for some extras too.
I have just bought a 27-2 in duossal and if I'm out for a bimble I am happy that this is the most efficient way to ensure that I have a full cookset and fuel in one small and lightweight package.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
As a stove fetishist, with many stoves, having tried about everything, for going light on foot in this country I would take a Duossal (light-weight stainless steel coating) Trangia with a gas burner. For canoe-camping, something like an Optimus 111 or a modern multifuel like a Dragonfly. I gave up on Trangias powered my meths, but each to his/her own.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Much hotter and faster. I seem to end up in situatons when using meths in my Trangias that either the meths won't light properly at all, or I can't get water really boiling, or I run out of meths, or I can't simmer easily.

Having said that I used a meths Trangia for a good few years and was satisfied. It's just that I like a gas trangia better

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I absolutely cant stand trangia

the fuel is prone to leaking all over your kit.

it stinks.

it gives of about as much heat as a bic lighter and takes forever to even warm your water.

the flame is invisible so you cant tell if the water isn't boiling because meths takes forever or because its gone out, you cant tell that you've spilt it either except for the smell.

the slightest breeze before you get the shield on and it goes out.

pots get covered in soot.

they are not that light, many gas cookers are as light the trangia burner.

they are not efficant, look at all the wind shields required to protect the variable flame and the extra weight and bulk of carrying it.

I remember taking a group of scouts out for a few days in the brecon beacons
and watching the group try to prepare a meal in typical brecon weather.
In the end I had to cook for everyone on an MSR.

gas is more dependable than meths in my opinion, in most good gas cookers there is only 2-3 moving parts, turn the tap and light.

they are so small I can put it in my pocket and boil a liter water in just over a minute, a distant dream for a meths burner

its a shame you cant get the canisters abroad (outside europe) easily but then it can be difficult to find meths too. but gas cookers will run off blow torch canisters if you find them (same thread)

choice between meths and gas........ gas for me, but that just my choice

Oh, and Stuart, you forgot to mention that Trangias are rubbish too. :D

I agree with all said above and I'll add that they are expensive for what they are and they're pants when it comes to any sort of heat control. Whenever I think 'Trangia', I think stench of meths and burnt dinner. I persevered with a Trangia for years as a kid because I didn't know better, then borrowed a gas stove and saw the light.

Frankly, same goes for vast majority of meths, tablet or gel burning systems, including crusader, Swedish Army Cookset, etc.

Get a teeny gas stove and stop messing about! :slap:

PS. And meths tastes blimmin' awful. :yuck:

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Just a question to all who have complained about lack of heat cntrol on the trangia.
How do you control the heat on an open fire?

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Just a question to all who have complained about lack of heat cntrol on the trangia.
How do you control the heat on an open fire?

You move the pot further or closer, or up and down the pot hanger.

In a Trangia, from what I remember, there may be a couple of hinged metal tabs to do this but there are only a couple of positions. With the Trangia, there is also the burner ring.

However, these still limit the amount of control you have to a few options.

My mind is not changed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE