trangia argument

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

what type of stove?

• gas

Votes: 105 21.9%
  • trangia

Votes: 375 78.1%

• Total voters

mazeman

Forager
Jun 7, 2007
Porthmadog, Gwynedd
Are you talking about a proper Trangia stove set or the heavy slow burning Swedish army junk? I'm a great fan and advocate of the 25 and 27 series, the 27 is always my stove of choice from my collection on a solo trip, simply because it is 100% reliable:) :)

T'is the 'proper' one - a 27 (though I don't think it had such a number in the old days!) - a trifle on the large side, it must be said, but a lovely thing nonetheless. It's been bashed about in saddlebags (horse, of course) and never missed firing up once.

slamdunk

Nomad
Sep 21, 2006
Sussex
Gotta go with Trangia - years and years of service, silent so no intrusion on my enjoyment of the solitude......

Treated myself a few years ago to the titanium pans too - they're wearing well!

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
Neither - Petrol coleman.

Gas is too unreliable. When it gets cold it doesn't work.
Trianga's are ok, but in my experience I don't want to wait 20 mins to boil a pot of water for a cup of tea. My good old coleman gets a billy done in about 2 mins - I've had it for about 5 years and it's never failed.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Neither - Petrol coleman.

Gas is too unreliable. When it gets cold it doesn't work.
Trianga's are ok, but in my experience I don't want to wait 20 mins to boil a pot of water for a cup of tea. My good old coleman gets a billy done in about 2 mins - I've had it for about 5 years and it's never failed.

To be fair, the new gas mixes which contain Isobutane work well in the cold, thats what they are designed for. If you waited 20 mins for a brew off a Trangia, you must have been using one of those Swedish Army meths setups, to be honest, they are too heavy and slow for serious use:ban: :tapedshut

Coleman make good stoves, I have a few myself, but I find them harder to fettle when they go belly up on you so I use a Nova or Omnifuel these days, both can mount in a proper Tangia, making the perfect cold weather cook system:)

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I'm a trangia convert. My MSR pocket rocket is great, nice and light, but a bit of a bugger in windy conditions. My recently acquired stainless steel SA trangia recently cooked happily away in REALLY windy condition. It is a bit heavy though.

A bit?

I am considering getting a Sankey trailer for mine, though I'm not sure the axles can take it. Mind it could double as a land anchor if I get bogged. :lmao:

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK
Thinking of dipping my toes in the trangia-pool, so to speak..

Wondering if anyone's had any experience with the new Hard-Anodized models? They look like they might be pretty good...

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
I could perfectly fry meat in the trangia pan, but the burner should go for a minut to get its maximal heat output. As for the smelly fuel, that's true for the methylalcohol sold in Britain and Ireland. I go often camping in Ireland and discovered that the meths were very expensive and that a disgusting smell was added. Also the fuel there was blackening the pots. The methylalcohol sold here in Belgium ,costs about 1 € a litre(in a 5 litre can), is colourless and doesn't smell or blacken the pots.I used gas and colemanburners for many years and since 4 years a trangia . I like it a lot and will never go back. Excellent for cooking,no burned on pots, reliable, cheap and no noise

no smell or Blackening ;) here in Canada Either, I use yellow Heat gas line anti freeze, best thing I've ever used in cold Canadian Winters whike ice fishing!
Trianga on the trail,hunting and Fishing, Coleman multi-fuel lives in my truck for the heck of it, Coleman 2 burner Camping in a camp ground with the wife so my wife will cook!
Unless It something in the Dutch Oven with a fire Which is my all time fav!!
Try bean hole beans or a stew . Dig a hole, lite a big fire out of hard wood and medium stones. burn down to coals ,bury the Beans or stew, cover with dirt. Go hunting till dusk, when you get back ,tasty stew hot and ready to eat!

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
Meths = no empty fuel cantainers filling up the land fills, less pollution in manufacturing the fuel .
I use a refilable 5lb tank for my 2 burner coleman propane, because I don't like thr throw away tanks!
my 2 cents.

robadams

Forager
Aug 19, 2004
Hampshire
I have had a Trangia for over 25 years and it is still going strong, mind you I have worn out and replaced most of the components over that time.
A few o rings due to a hot burner, a new burner after wearing it out(yes you can), a new kettle after the 1st one developed a couple of holes in the base, new pans when they started offering non stick and stainless steel versions.
I own and have used gas and multi fuel over the years but keep going back to the trangia.
It is simple to use and no moving parts to break, stable, great in strong winds,the pans can be used with other cookers, if the fuel leaks it won't ruin your kit, the fuel is available pretty much everywhere if you know what it is called in other countries and requires no preheating in the winter.
As for the wait time, simple, at the end of the day, drop your pack, set up the trangia and then start to make camp. 15 mins later you have water ready for a brew. Stick a rock on top of the Trangia and it can be left alone without any worries.
Now I am introducing my 7 & 9 year olds to the joys of camping it is perfect for them to use!

Variant 13

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Berkshire
I hate Trangia, used them in my teens and had one for years with a gas attachment. But they are huge, heavy and slow.
These days I use real flames where possible and failing that a Jet boil as it's small, quick and lightweight and I can use the pan/cup over a flame as well.

Graham

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Had a Trangia for years. Converted mine so that i can use an alpine gas stove (legs removed) and cut a hole and slot so that the gas tap fits through, not the best fit but better than the high price for a Trangia gas one.:swordfigh

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I have had a Trangia for over 25 years and it is still going strong, mind you I have worn out and replaced most of the components over that time.
A few o rings due to a hot burner, a new burner after wearing it out(yes you can), a new kettle after the 1st one developed a couple of holes in the base, new pans when they started offering non stick and stainless steel versions.
I own and have used gas and multi fuel over the years but keep going back to the trangia.
It is simple to use and no moving parts to break, stable, great in strong winds,the pans can be used with other cookers, if the fuel leaks it won't ruin your kit, the fuel is available pretty much everywhere if you know what it is called in other countries and requires no preheating in the winter.
As for the wait time, simple, at the end of the day, drop your pack, set up the trangia and then start to make camp. 15 mins later you have water ready for a brew. Stick a rock on top of the Trangia and it can be left alone without any worries.
Now I am introducing my 7 & 9 year olds to the joys of camping it is perfect for them to use!

Good post, that just about sums up a real Trangia, they are my stove of choice for solo camping although in winter when there are two of us, I mount a Nova in mine, its the best winter stove combo around (next to a nice open fire)

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
As per my earlier post, I have been using various types of Trangia since being a Scout - so 25+ years.

I have just bought myself a Vargo Triad stove, made from titanium, to use with my hobo stove and have used it a few times with meths and once "upside down" with hexy blocks and am very impressed!

Packs up small and extremely lightweight!

Bought it from these people and was impressed with comms and delivery time.

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product129.asp

Simon

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
have to say that everything i've heard about those stoves has been to the contrary. i thought they looked a great size but general consensus changed my mind. how does it compare to a trangia burner?

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
have to say that everything i've heard about those stoves has been to the contrary. i thought they looked a great size but general consensus changed my mind. how does it compare to a trangia burner?

Cons:
  • It doesn't have the fuel capacity that a Trangia has and so burns out quicker.
  • It can not store fuel in the burner either, so you have to take a bottle with you.
  • It needs a separate windshield.

Pros:
  • It packs up small.
  • It wieghs next to nothing!
  • Can be used with hexy as well as meths.

The windshild isn't an issue as I use it inside my hobo stove. Size wise I love it as it fits inside the "plate" of my zebra billy - I'll take some pics and post again later.

Simon

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
It's been an interesting read. I've only ever used a gas stove previously, but recently bought a Trangia copy. I bought it for about £8 in Lidl but haven't had a chance to try it out. I'm planning to get sorted for an outing shortly to give it a test. I'll probably take the gas burner with me as a back mind. More for peace of mind than anything else by the sound of it.

M

Marlies

Use an army version of the trangia plus a civil nonstick number 27. Really like them both.
We also have a petrol inlay for the 27...

By the way, I always have two burners with the trangia's. If the fuel runs out, I just fill the second burner to place in the trangia. This to prevent burning myself refilling the hot burner.
Second, I always let the burner burn out completely instead of putting it out. This prevents leakage.
Esp. the ideas of having two burners is a good idea for kids using the trangia. (scouts for example)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE