trangia argument

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

what type of stove?

• gas

Votes: 105 21.9%
  • trangia

Votes: 375 78.1%

• Total voters

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
I was thinking of that but with the weather we've had over the last while I'd have had to lash myself to the clothes pole and pegged the stove down. our garden seems to be at the end of a wind tunnel. The stove might have worked but I don't know if I'd have been able to tell due to my my eyelids flapping in the gale....:D :D

Rothley Bill

Forager
Aug 11, 2008
Rothley, Leicestershire
Over the years I have used many fuels, I started with gas, like many on here. Moved on to petrol, but that has serious problems in my view. But in 1979 I bought a trangia have not looked back, I use it all year round and have used it all over the continent including the far north of sweden and norway. They are faultless in the near 30 years i have owned it I have replaced the burner and the kettle which was only 20 years old. I have also just bought a swedish army version very good but I miss the kettle which I use as a teapot.

Sussex Man

Jul 14, 2008
Robertsbridge
I must say I prefer Trangia's I've used gas in the Alps and it didn't like the cold altitude, I have an Swedish army trangia in s.s quite heavy but bomb proof and when you run out of meths you can light a little fire in them- great news if you travels are extended.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
It's been an interesting read. I've only ever used a gas stove previously, but recently bought a Trangia copy. I bought it for about £8 in Lidl but haven't had a chance to try it out. I'm planning to get sorted for an outing shortly to give it a test. I'll probably take the gas burner with me as a back mind. More for peace of mind than anything else by the sound of it.

The Lidl clone is very good quality, they have even drilled out the holes so you can mount an Optimus Nova or Omnifuel in them.

Next March/April keep an eye out at Aldi, every year they sell a two piece non stick pan set with frying pan lid for about £6, these fit the Lidl clone like they were purpose made for the job and the quality is very good, easily as good as genuine Trangia pans

Dec 19, 2008
Greetings from across the pond. I've been lurking on these forums for some time. I had a question and I figure this is as good a topic as any to ask it in. Do the Trangia fuel valves from the Trangia fuel bottles fit on MSR and Sigg bottles? I have a number of army Trangia and Svea burners and mess kits and I'm looking for a good alternative to the flat fuel bottles that come with the kit.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Greetings from across the pond. I've been lurking on these forums for some time. I had a question and I figure this is as good a topic as any to ask it in. Do the Trangia fuel valves from the Trangia fuel bottles fit on MSR and Sigg bottles? I have a number of army Trangia and Svea burners and mess kits and I'm looking for a good alternative to the flat fuel bottles that come with the kit.

They do fit

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I have just been using the swiss army ranger volcano stove, grp buy 36, without a burner just cardboard, but will use the swedish military trangia meths burner too.

Handy stove with the combo of burners and heat options.

Nick

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
OK, I'm swedish so I have to chip in!
I´ve read the whole thread and I find it a bit confusing.
When you guys (gals?) say trangia everyone means something different.
Some mean the methsburner which functions about the same as the one you can make out of beercans.
Some mean the windshield setup (which is what it means here in sweden).
Some mean the swedish army heavyduty personal stove for heating canned meals (the old swedish C-rations were just cans) which is supplied with a trangia methsburner. Not to be confused with the swedish army "ranger stove" which is similar to the trangia windshield and also comes with a trangia methsburner...

Anyway, the (any) methsburner is simple and rugged but as mentioned, meths is no good for winter conditions and it gets even worse when you, as sugested, mix it with a little water to reduce sooting. In the army when living in snow "digouts" in the mountains we would be three men in a team. Two digging and one just keeping the burner going, melting snow to prevent the diggers from dehydrating.

The real bennefit of the trangia, rangerstove and clones is that it gives great protection from wind in any direction and also channels the heat from the fuel up along the sides of the pot giving much greater fuel efficiency. Just fit the burner for the fuel of your choice.
On the other hand it weighs close to a pound and that equals quite a lot of fuel.

The trangia shield with methsburner is a great, proven piece of kit and can be overkill or not sufficient depending on your needs.
What I use?
Trangia stove with KAP-arctic keroseneburner. I did say I was swedish!

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
Having had problems in the past with gas, I now only use a Trangia for long trips, my pic shows the type i use, I think it is the heavy sweedish army type. As for the lid sticking on the burner, if you put the lid on while still warm the rubber ring seals itself. Putting a smear of vaseline on it only blocks the holes in the burner so I use a smear of olive oil.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
OK, I'm swedish so I have to chip in!
I´ve read the whole thread and I find it a bit confusing.
When you guys (gals?) say trangia everyone means something different.
Some mean the methsburner which functions about the same as the one you can make out of beercans.
Some mean the windshield setup (which is what it means here in sweden).
Some mean the swedish army heavyduty personal stove for heating canned meals (the old swedish C-rations were just cans) which is supplied with a trangia methsburner. Not to be confused with the swedish army "ranger stove" which is similar to the trangia windshield and also comes with a trangia methsburner...

Anyway, the (any) methsburner is simple and rugged but as mentioned, meths is no good for winter conditions and it gets even worse when you, as sugested, mix it with a little water to reduce sooting. In the army when living in snow "digouts" in the mountains we would be three men in a team. Two digging and one just keeping the burner going, melting snow to prevent the diggers from dehydrating.

The real bennefit of the trangia, rangerstove and clones is that it gives great protection from wind in any direction and also channels the heat from the fuel up along the sides of the pot giving much greater fuel efficiency. Just fit the burner for the fuel of your choice.
On the other hand it weighs close to a pound and that equals quite a lot of fuel.

The trangia shield with methsburner is a great, proven piece of kit and can be overkill or not sufficient depending on your needs.
What I use?
Trangia stove with KAP-arctic keroseneburner. I did say I was swedish!

Good post Husky, and I agree with you about the real Trangia and the Ranger stove. I also use a KAP Arctic type setup. The one in the pictures is using the burner from an Optimus 111T burner coupled to an Optimus Nova fuel line and pump. The burner is on a mounter plate for quick insert into the stove setup. This one is using a Trangia clone, very fast boil time (knocks spots off a Jetboil in my timed tests)

The Ranger/Tor stoves were available in the UK a couple of years ago, I bought five for £20, wonderful value for money :)

Click images

I have mentioned not diluting meths in the past, but this falls on deaf ears very often and the habit continues I'm sad to say

grebo247365

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2007
Grimsby, Lincolnshire, GB.
I have both the aluminium army trangia and the civvy trangia mini, and have used both in hill and forest conditions, the army model performed poorly in windy conditions taking 15 mins to heat up a tin of curry, also the high sides and curved shape made it a bugger to clean afterwards .
The trangia mini on the other hand I find a pleasure to use, the burner is the slightly more efficient commercial type is nestled in a small pot stand, it has pot grip, a 0.8l alu pan and a non stick lid, just big enough to fry an egg.
My only gripe with it is the pan grip which is a springy one piece affair and tricky to use with a full pan of boiling water, so I take along a standard trangia pot grip.
The mini only weighs about 300g so I take along a lightweight alu windshield to reduce boiling times and increase fuel efficency in windy conditions.
Also I never use a fire steel to light a meths burner, once I was testing a beer can stove I had made in my kitchen and opted to light it with the fire steel, simultaniously igniting/punching the meth filled burner across the room, setting said room and my hand a bit on fire.
A turbo lighter or matches are much safer!

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Question: What are the dimensions of the SA (m/42) version? Looking to purchase some kind of pouch for it once I but mine at the end of the month (buying pouch and stove together :) )

EDIT: and its weight please!

EDIT No2: found 'em :) For those that don't know:

Stove Total Weight : 950 gms
Size When Packed : 17cm Tall,18 cm Wide,11cm Across
Small Pan/Lid : 6 cm Deep, 16.5cm Wide,11cm Across
Large Pot : 13 cm Deep, 16cm Wide,10.5cm Across

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Question: What are the dimensions of the SA (m/42) version? Looking to purchase some kind of pouch for it once I but mine at the end of the month (buying pouch and stove together :) )

EDIT: and its weight please!

EDIT No2: found 'em :) For those that don't know:

Stove Total Weight : 950 gms
Size When Packed : 17cm Tall,18 cm Wide,11cm Across
Small Pan/Lid : 6 cm Deep, 16.5cm Wide,11cm Across
Large Pot : 13 cm Deep, 16cm Wide,10.5cm Across

I got a canvas kidney shaped pouch that fits it.

Nick

ryback

Feb 9, 2009
Oslo, Norway
I got a Trangia 27-4 UL some years ago and it served me well but it's not something I would use to boil a lot of water as the output is too low.

I use an MSR XGK with kerosene now whenever a fire is not available/practical. I did bring both once but it turned out not to be worth the hassle with the extra bulk/weight. I still use the Trangia pots and pans but the burner stays home.

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
Bought Trangias own multifuelburner and tested it thorougly lastweekedn with my scouts.

Its a optimus nova btw.

Very good bit of kit, and i can not see myself going out without it, or with the methsburner anymore, thats for sure.

webmuppet

Tenderfoot
I've just gotten a Trangie 27-4 (I think). People say it should boil 1L of water in 10-15mins. Best I've made it do (inside with the pot covered) is 20 minutes which is a shade long. I cooked a handful of sausages in it at the weekend and had to refill it half way through because it had run out. Maybe I just need more practice and experience :)

ryback

Feb 9, 2009
Oslo, Norway
I was out last weekend and used my trangia with methsburner to melt snow for drinkingwater. It took forever and I had to refill the burner several times. The good thing is it's pretty safe and I have no problem leaving it while I run around chopping wood. The MSR multifuel is not as stable when a big pot is resting on it and can easily tip over - especially when the snow it rests on is melting beneath it.

nomade

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 8, 2004
Sutton (Surrey, UK)
I just couldn't read all posts so maybe this question has been asked before. Apologies if it has:

I have a Swedish army cooking set which is just the military version of Trangia.

Like said in previous posts I experienced slow cooking and the problem of soot (from methyl. spirit).
BUT has anyone used the Swedish army set or its civilian version Trangia as a wood (or twig) burning stove? By just piling your twigs and branches under the protection of the cooking set's windscreen and putting your saucepan in its usual place for cooking? That could be a life saver when fuel has run out or as a deliberate choice to avoid using methyl. spirit. Has anyone tried that? I haven't but think I will give it a try.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE