Traditional British Recipes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Being an East coast loon I was brought up on soup and mince & tatties. One of my favourites and something that was always served on Bonfire night was stovies. Best served with oatcakes, or toast & butter, but always with a peppermill on the table. By the way if it's made with a tin of corned beef then it's not stovies, it's corned beef hash. Good in it's own way but not the same. There's debate as to where the name comes from, most say from the French but I'm more inclined to the Dutch "stoven".
6 portions (or two big teauchters :D )
6lbs/3kg Potatoes. (Maris pipers, King Edwards or Roosters. Sliced supposed to be peeled too but I like the skin on).
1 or 2 onions, chopped.
100g dripping. Usually left over from a roast or chops. We used to save all the fat back then.
1kg meat. This is a posh amount, any left over scraps will do, lamb or beef is best though pork or chicken will do. You can also get something cheap with bones (chops, ribs...) roast and shred the meat off the bones.
200 grams of gravy, best made with the meat juices.
Salt & pepper.

In a pan melt about 100g of your lard/fat. This will go quicker than you think so be quick prepping the onions, add them to the pan and gently fry 'till soft, don't let them go brown. Add the potatoes and coat with the lard. Now you can do this in a slow cooker, oven or at a peep on the stovetop. Add everything else and give the odd stir - gently. You don't want to break up the tatties with the spoon, they'll slowly break up as they cook. It'll take good few hours, we used to leave it overnight on low in the oven or at least 4 hours on the ring. You may have to add the odd splash of water to stop it burning/sticking though the crunchy bits are often fought over.
As said serve with oatcakes, and traditionally a side of beetroot (pickled or boiled/roasted) and a glass of milk. In recent years a side of baked beans has become the norm.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Where I'm from that would be called Scouse... where I live now I think they call it hotpot... but generally it will have different names all over the country.

What it should be called is "Anything we have to hand in a big pot so we can feed the family for a couple of nights"... generations before us didn't have the luxuries we have with our food nowadays.

Good food though... we make it mostly in winter and warm up stale bread for dunking (I do have a tendency to cover my bread with butter though)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Where I'm from that would be called Scouse... where I live now I think they call it hotpot... but generally it will have different names all over the country.

What it should be called is "Anything we have to hand in a big pot so we can feed the family for a couple of nights"... generations before us didn't have the luxuries we have with our food nowadays.

Good food though... we make it mostly in winter and warm up stale bread for dunking (I do have a tendency to cover my bread with butter though)

Funny how stuff that was cheap to fill our bellies like yours and mine and the Cornish Teddy Chod have become comfort food that fill us with good memories.
Was talking to the chap in our local shop the other day about how he was craving mince on a roll. Another poor mans food that takes us to good places, though some folk don't get it.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Probably one of the oldest ones I know, according to Jacqui Wood's Prehistoric Cooking dating back to 6'000 BC. Great to forage and make while away and tasty too.
Nettle Pudding.
Bunch of sorrel
Bunch or watercress
Bunch of dandelion leaves
2 bunches of young nettle leaves
Some chives or wild garlic
1 cup of barley flour
1 tsp of salt.

Chop up the herbage (flint knife if you have one :D ) and mix in the barley flour and salt. Add enough water to bind & place in the centre of a linen or muslin cloth. Tie the cloth and add to a pot of simmering stew or pottage. (Suppose venison or wild boar would be best though a pork joint does as nicely). Leave in pot 'till the meat is cooked.

Last time I had this was camping up north, eaten from wooden bowls. Suppose it's an early version of mince & dough-boys. :p

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Funny how stuff that was cheap to fill our bellies like yours and mine and the Cornish Teddy Chod have become comfort food that fill us with good memories.
Was talking to the chap in our local shop the other day about how he was craving mince on a roll. Another poor mans food that takes us to good places, though some folk don't get it.

True enough... but do you not feel sorry for the next generation? What is their comfort food going to be? KFC?

Roast meat, roast potatoes... actually pretty much everything roasted and covered in gravy (made from the meat juices) and thats my food perfection... we have a variety of foods during the week as a family, but all of us like a roast dinner. Hope my kids grow up to carry that on in their own way.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Suppose with all the instant meals even if families eat together quite often they're not eating the same thing. Although most of our meals as kids were or at least one course was soup we tended to have a set repeating repertoire of meals. Suppose it was partly money, partly parents not knowing a huge amount of recipies and habit as rationing hadn't ended all that long ago.
I like to cook food from all over the world but about 12 years ago started to to explore traditional British cooking again. Turned up some great treats and have been honing some others. They say chicken tikka is now our national dish, and it was invented here so it's not so bad if that becomes a trad dish of the future. Some foods I wouldn't be sad of loosing, tripe for one and the devils unmentionables Brussel Sprouts.
Be nice if this thread took of to see about making it a sticky so that folk have a place to come and pick up good idea meals.
I put together a book on cooking for my best mats Christmas last year. Mainly aimed at cooking outdoors but some cracking food in there. The two of us believe that if you can cook it indoors you can cook it outdoors. Folk often say that they eat better when camping with us than they do in their own homes.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
We were stuck in a rut as a family. Both my wife and me would cook a meal every night, centred around food that wasn't from the freezer... ingredients cooked together to make a meal.

Problem is it got boring with the same half dozen meals doing the cycle every week, so we signed up to one of these delivery services that deliver fresh meat and veg, spices and condiments to make a meal that you follow one of the recipes supplied.

It hasn't worked out brilliantly as the kids don't appreciate some of the meals, and admittedly some of the meals are a little too spicy for a family meal.... but for the most part we get 4 new recipes a week, all the ingredients to make it and we're trying something new. We still have take-away night, we still have egg and chips night, but for 4 days we try different tastes than usual. My kids might disagree, but I think it's been a welcome change and enjoyable for the most part.

Food seems to play a much bigger part in our lives now than it did when I was a kid. It used to be you eat what you're given, but now it seems to be such a wide variety... good, but still strange.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I raised my kids. Just the two girls. Made a serious effort to feed them as diversely as I could.
I built a digital cook book for them when they went off to University.
Inventory of all the oils/herbs/spices/condiments needed.
The digital cookbook is now about 250 recipes. No crap. Just home run goodness.
I guess that you Brits would call each recipe a "six."

What do you need? Grandpa's pizza crust & sauce? Bread? Wine braised Bison/Canada goose?
Baked, stuffed green peppers? Waffles?

You name it. I had no choice but to make everyday meals as attractive as I could.
D1 is a 3rd generation PhD medical researcher, working at Stanford University/Palo Alto/CA.
D2 is a nurse with twin grandsons.

They have and use copies of my digital cook book.

Look. It seems to me that traditional family recipes die with the people.
That has to stop. You have to get those, compile them and hand them down forever.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Travel widened my tastes a bit, I like middle eastern food. Lots of flavours and textures. One of my mates Ian is a great cook. Got him Otto Lengie's book a few years back and he's really gone off and explored it to tye max. Finding a chef you like is often a good way to try new things. Hugh Fairly-Unstable is one of my favourites, I like his whole ethos of eating and he makes some braw stuff. Also the Hairy Bikers, saw their first series and got hooked. Saw them live in Glasgow, great show, good food and funny to boot. I like that they cook outside too as it means a lot of their stuff doesn't need translated to my camp cooking style too much. Keith Floyd was the same and sad he's gone now.
As a kid I quite liked the repetition. Looking forward to "mince night" or "mac&cheese night". But then I didn't know better. Like you though we had to eat what was put in front of us. I've found that as I've aged that I've grown to like some things I didn't like when younger. I still keep trying things and now like olives and some otyer stuff that I didn't as a kid. Celery and Brussels still give me the boak.
Wondering what to.post up next, Homity pie, furmity/furmenty or fatty cutties? You folks decide.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Quite a feat Robson. The book I put together has about two hundred all told, though the beauty is that I can up date it as it's a word style file (I use Libre Office).
Also means I can send it as a PDF when updating larger sections to my mate. Be interesting to see some of your recipies, though they say as American as apple pie it's found in old books before America was founded. :D Some of the trad stuff like meatloaf turns up all over the place, like here in the UK or as Falscher Hase in Germany. Be good to hear a couple of US takes on UK classics.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
One of my favourites is not a meal as such, but an accompaniment to one.
Skirlie
Dice a large onion and sauté in butter until soft.
Add oatmeal and cook until butter is absorbed.
Serve with roast chicken dinners for best effect, although it's good with mince and potatoes too.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Your digital cook book interests me, one of my most treasured possessions is my Mums cook book, recipes in there from all over, some written by my Nan or other family and friends, some just noted as X's recipe, but it brings back so many memories of childhood, and there are some great recipes in it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE