Traditional British Recipes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I really liked Toddy's comment in the 'Do you 'cook' porridge' thread about having a thread dedicated to British recipes and going on comments made one or two others did as well.

I did wait a while but no one looked like they were doing anything so I thought lets get it up and running and make everyone hungry :D

So come on folks, please share the recipes you use for your favourite British food :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have that one Robbi, and it's very good. The lady is a Irish countrywoman with a very sound head on her shoulders and it's both a well written, interesting read of a book as well as full of good recipes.

Nice idea for a thread Mesquite :D

M

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
you obviously don't understand my reasoning for posting that link......

it's ( IMO and now Toddys ) a great book, well written with some super "traditional" / "British" recipe's that folks can enjoy.

If you actually go to the link, you can flick through the pages and have a look at some wonderful recipe's and cooking without having to buy a book you may not want.

What's up with you, you grumpy old git ? bang yer head this morning ?

You obviously don't understand the purpose of the thread...

It's for people to share their own personal favourite recipes with the rest of the forum rather than links to books that they may not want to buy...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oi!

Chill out. It's an easy misunderstanding that's all.

I can see Steve's point, but Robbi's right too, and I didn't help things by chiming in with an agreement about the book and not giving any recipes.

Folks like photos though, …..I need to clean the cooker (I made jam earlier and it's still slightly sprackled) before I take any photos.

Mary

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'll start my list with a Welsh vegitarian one so Toddy can have a bash.
Glamorgan Sausages. (makes 6)
50g butter
100g leeks, finely sliced
Nutmeg to taste, fresh grated
170g fresh breadcrumbs, a mix of brown and white if possible
2 tsp thyme, finely chopped
2 eggs, separated
1 &1/2 tsp English mustard (I prefer wholegrain mustard)
175g Caerphilly
2 tbsp milk
50g flour.

Melt half tge butter in pan & sweat the leeks 'till soft. Season well with salt, pepper & nutmeg.
Mix 100g breadcrumbs with the thyme and beat the egg yolks & mustard together. Crumble the cheese into the breadcrumb mixture & stir in the leeks, followed by the mixed egg yolks & mustard. Adjust seasoning, mix well & add the milk.
Shape into six sausages (dampen hands to make t easier) and if doing at home chill for half an hour.
Heat oven to 180°c/350°f/gas mark 4. Meanwhile whisk the egg whites 'till frothy. Put the egg whites, flour & remaining breadcrumbs on separate plates & roll the each sausage in the flour, then egg whites, then breadcrumbs to coat them.
Melt remaining butter in a pan over a medium heat, add the sausages and cook 'till golden on all sides. Transfer to a baking sheet and cook in oven for about 20 minutes 'till richly golden.
Serve with what you like but kale and chappit tatties does it for me.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Obviously I don't have any recipes for British food (even if I did, they wouldn't compare with what y'all can post) so I'll do my bit by making requests. Does anybody have a good one for Hot Pot? How about Bubble & Squeak?

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Conventionally lamb stews and hotpot included the bones, something I hated as a child and hate now. Lamb stew and hotpot are delicious and eaten with avidity if they do not have the bones in.

One of the best bits of a hotpot is the topping of sliced potatoes that brown on top and absorb the liquid on the underside.This is one method although I see no need for the Worcestshire sauce. All these dishes just need the meat browned and the onions softened. Herbs to taste if you wish.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9099/lancashire-hotpot

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Pea soup is one of the simplest and most delicious. Boil a large piece of smoked bacon (must be smoked). Save the liquor, soften onions very lightly, split yellow peas, cook for a long time. Let the boiling liquid smile but not laugh, simmer in other words. Carrots improve it as long as not too many. Dried thyme, rosemary, marjoram, again to taste.

Depending on saltiness the bacon water saved can be the second boiling when the real cooking of the meat is done.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Obviously I don't have any recipes for British food (even if I did, they wouldn't compare with what y'all can post) so I'll do my bit by making requests. Does anybody have a good one for Hot Pot? How about Bubble & Squeak?

Bubble and squeak is basically vegetable left overs mixed together then fried up Dan.

About the only rule I know for it is that it has to contain potato, anything else usually like cabbage, onions etc is fine. Some folks even include that horror of horror vegetable brussel sprouts
smiley-sick006.gif

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
On pea soup, here is an extract from CS Forester's The Commodore, when Hornblower entertains the Emperor of All the Russias.

Luncheon was served in Hornblower’s cabin to a party of eight, Hornblower, Bush, the two senior lieutenants, and the four Russians. Bush was sweating with nervousness at the sight of the inhospitable table; at the last moment he had drawn Hornblower aside and pleaded unavailingly for Hornblower to change his mind and serve some of his remaining cabin delicacies as well as the plain ship’s fare. Bush could not get out of his mind the obsession that it was necessary to feed the Tsar well; any junior officer entertaining an admiral would blast all his hopes of future promotion if he put the men’s ration beef on the table, and Bush could only think in terms of entertaining admirals.
The Tsar looked with interest at the battered pewter tureen which Brown set before Hornblower.“Pea soup, sir,” explained Hornblower. “One of the great delicacies of shipboard life.”Carlin, of long habit, began to rap his biscuit on the table, stopped when he realized what he was doing, and then started rapping again, guiltily. He remembered the orders Hornblower had given, that everyone should behave as if no distinguished company were present; Hornblower had backed up those orders with the direct threat of punishment should they be forgotten, and Carlin knew that Hornblower did not threaten in that way without every intention of doing what he promised. Alexander looked at Carlin and then inquiringly at Bush beside him.“Mr. Carlin is knocking out the weevils, sir,” explained Bush, almost overcome with self-consciousness. “If you tap gently they come out of their own accord, this way, you see, sir.”“Very interesting,” said Alexander, but he ate no bread; one of his aides-de-camp repeated the experiment, peered down at the fat white weevils with black heads that emerged, and exploded into what must have been a string of Russian oaths—almost the first words he had said since boarding the ship.The visitors, after this inauspicious beginning, gingerly tasted the soup. But in the British Navy pea soup, as Hornblower had remarked, was the best dish served; the aide-de-camp who had sworn at the weevils exclaimed with surprised gratification when he had tasted it, speedily consumed his plateful, and accepted another.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Starting ofv with a vegie recipe.......this does not bode well

Only a joke :D

Allrighty Sunndog a meaty stodgy one just for you. Can't inclde pics as on my phone.
Buckinghamshire Bacon Badger.
Sadly no badger in this one though bacon does up the meat quota. :D
200g/7oz SR flour
Fresh ground black pepper
90g/3.5oz shredded beef suet
Cold water
400g/14oz back bacon rashers
150g/5.5oz chopped onions
1 tsp chopped fresh sage
1 tsp chopped fresh parsley
100g/3.5oz diced potatoes.

First make suet pastry; sift flour into bowl & grind in plenty of pepper. Add suet and mix with a knife. Add cold water, drip by drip mixing all the time to make a nice gluey dough. Now use hands to work it, binding it together to a smooth elastic dough.
Flour a surface and roll th pastry out to a long een rectangle about 25cm/10inch wide and as long as you can manage before the pastry gets too thin.
Leaveing 2.5cm/1inch clear all 'round the pastry, spread the bacon rashers over it and cover them with the onions, sage & parsley. Season with pepper (no salt) & spread the diced potato along the middle.
Roll the while thing up, sealing the edges by pressing them together.
Wrap this tightl in muslin or a clean tea towel so as to keep it's shape and boil gently in a pan of water for three hours.
Unwrap it and carve into large slabs, serve with a salad & wholegrain mustard or picalilly.
If you fancy a crispy outside you can finnish it off in a hot over after boiling 'till a golden brown.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Bubble and squeak is basically vegetable left overs mixed together then fried up Dan.

About the only rule I know for it is that it has to contain potato, anything else usually like cabbage, onions etc is fine. Some folks even include that horror of horror vegetable brussel sprouts
smiley-sick006.gif

Yeah I get the basic definition. I've tried, without success, to get mine to come out like the one I used to get at The Bull Hotel in Fairford. I was hoping for various recipes/ideas.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Allrighty Sunndog a meaty stodgy one just for you. Can't inclde pics as on my phone.
Buckinghamshire Bacon Badger.
Sadly no badger in this one though bacon does up the meat quota. :D
200g/7oz SR flour
Fresh ground black pepper
90g/3.5oz shredded beef suet
Cold water
400g/14oz back bacon rashers
150g/5.5oz chopped onions
1 tsp chopped fresh sage
1 tsp chopped fresh parsley
100g/3.5oz diced potatoes.

First make suet pastry; sift flour into bowl & grind in plenty of pepper. Add suet and mix with a knife. Add cold water, drip by drip mixing all the time to make a nice gluey dough. Now use hands to work it, binding it together to a smooth elastic dough.
Flour a surface and roll th pastry out to a long een rectangle about 25cm/10inch wide and as long as you can manage before the pastry gets too thin.
Leaveing 2.5cm/1inch clear all 'round the pastry, spread the bacon rashers over it and cover them with the onions, sage & parsley. Season with pepper (no salt) & spread the diced potato along the middle.
Roll the while thing up, sealing the edges by pressing them together.
Wrap this tightl in muslin or a clean tea towel so as to keep it's shape and boil gently in a pan of water for three hours.
Unwrap it and carve into large slabs, serve with a salad & wholegrain mustard or picalilly.
If you fancy a crispy outside you can finnish it off in a hot over after boiling 'till a golden brown.

Redeemed! :D

that sounds belting mate, esp finished in the oven. I'll have to task her indoors with that one since she does the "mix this and that" type cooking

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I like Toad in the Hole.

Put 6 or 8 links of sausage (or slices of Spam or corned dog or best of all, black pudding in a shallow tin with a bit of fat. Put it in the oven on highish and let the bangers start to cook whilst the fat gets hot. In the mean time, put 4oz plain flour and a bit of salt in a bowl and run a whisk thru' it (easier than seiving it). Break a couple of eggs into the flour and add just enough milk to get it moving, then keep beating it and adding water slowly until its the consistency of engine oil. Have a look in the oven. When the fat is smoking whip the pan out, tip the batter over the sausage or whatever and stick it back in the oven for 15 or 20 minutes until the pudding has risen and browned.
Goes well with a strong green and onion gravy.
Here's an individual I made a bit since...
attachment.php

Attachments

• TITHindividual.jpg
    TITHindividual.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 114

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Nice one Bilmo, I do like toad in the hole. Have you tried it with fish (or even fish fingers) ?
It makes a nice wee change.
That one you made looks crackin' though, feel hungry now.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I like Toad in the Hole.

Put 6 or 8 links of sausage (or slices of Spam or corned dog or best of all, black pudding in a shallow tin with a bit of fat. Put it in the oven on highish and let the bangers start to cook whilst the fat gets hot. In the mean time, put 4oz plain flour and a bit of salt in a bowl and run a whisk thru' it (easier than seiving it). Break a couple of eggs into the flour and add just enough milk to get it moving, then keep beating it and adding water slowly until its the consistency of engine oil. Have a look in the oven. When the fat is smoking whip the pan out, tip the batter over the sausage or whatever and stick it back in the oven for 15 or 20 minutes until the pudding has risen and browned.
Goes well with a strong green and onion gravy.
Here's an individual I made a bit since...
attachment.php

There was an offer on at one of the supermarkets not so long back on Aunt Bessie's batter... we've had quite a few Toad in the Holes recently thanks to that. Delicious.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE