Todays hangover cure (dead stuff pics)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
I also dont understand the arguement as in these people are protecting nature, im pretty sure nature looked after itself damn well before man came along, if anything alls weve done is destroy it!

Not going to address the rest of your post as I find it very hard not to sound very argumentative when typing, but I can assure you I write what follows in a conversational not an aggressive tone!

What you say is true, man has undoubtedly caused much damage to the land, however that is exactly why it now does need to be managed. In a sense you cannot effect an eco system in such a dramatic and drastic way and then just leave it and expect it to return to its original form over night. It would take a very long time for much of the countryside to return to 'exactly what it was' if we simply left it. It therefore stands to reason that one of the reasons a fox may need to be shot is because we, as a race, have removed its natural predator and therefore must continue the job of its predator in a more artificial format.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
. People want to kill things.

Oh dear,

"People" enjoy hunting,fishing and putting meat in their own freezer, "People" have been doing it for quite a few years now Ged, thousands and thousands of years before the

arrival of supermarkets and the friendly corner shop, it is heavily stamped in our DNA (mine anyway, and i'm proud to admit it)

If you don't agree with it, don't do it and don't read the threads.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
the thing i find most interesting about this thread is that fact that everyone seems to be arguing the same point "is it or isn't it ok to shoot a fox". IMHO no-one seems to have addressed what's actually happened here. so i will, "what're people's opinions of the celebration/glorification of killing, for example, publishing photo's of a dead fox alongside the rifle that was used to kill it?"

stuart

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... "People" enjoy hunting,fishing and putting meat in their own freezer, "People" have been doing it for quite a few years now Ged, thousands and thousands of years before the arrival of supermarkets and the friendly corner shop...

Next birthday I will be in my sixtieth year. Please try not to treat me like a child.

People didn't have to import a species from Mongolia just to shoot it. People don't have to poison, trap and shoot our native and seriously endangered birds of prey to prevent them from wiping out the imported birds so that they can keep their little empires coining it in. They don't have to do it to survive. And apparently they either don't care or don't have the wit to figure out that when they routinely kill the biggest and strongest foxes they are weeding the best genes out of the pool, leaving the weaker examples to do the best they can in a genetically impoverished population. Not exactly straight from the handbook, is it?

If you don't agree with it, don't do it and don't read the threads.

Sticking my head in the sand has never been one of my defining characteristics.

People, including me, eat meat. I have no problem with that. The problems start when we go against Mother Nature. The more of us there are, the bigger the problems when we do that.

At the time that I was born, there were less than three billion people on Earth. The human race was about a million years old. In that million years, about four billion people had walked the face of our planet.

In the fifty-odd years since I was born, more people have been born than had ever lived before. Half the people that have ever lived are alive today. In my half-century, the world's population more than doubled. That's scary enoug, but what's scarier is that on current forecasts the next doubling will take only about a dozen years. The race is still only about a million years old, and if we keep this up, it won't be getting a great deal older before something pretty unpleasant happens to remind us who's boss.

No more than the pheasant or the fox, we are all children of Mother Nature. As anyone here should know, she's the boss. And she treats her children very harshly.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Next birthday I will be in my sixtieth year. Please try not to treat me like a child.

People didn't have to import a species from Mongolia just to shoot it. People don't have to poison, trap and shoot our native and seriously endangered birds of prey to prevent them from wiping out the imported birds so that they can keep their little empires coining it in. They don't have to do it to survive. And apparently they either don't care or don't have the wit to figure out that when they routinely kill the biggest and strongest foxes they are weeding the best genes out of the pool, leaving the weaker examples to do the best they can in a genetically impoverished population. Not exactly straight from the handbook, is it?

Sticking my head in the sand has never been one of my defining characteristics.

People, including me, eat meat. I have no problem with that. The problems start when we go against Mother Nature. The more of us there are, the bigger the problems when we do that.

At the time that I was born, there were less than three billion people on Earth. The human race was about a million years old. In that million years, about four billion people had walked the face of our planet.

In the fifty-odd years since I was born, more people have been born than had ever lived before. Half the people that have ever lived are alive today. In my half-century, the world's population more than doubled. That's scary enoug, but what's scarier is that on current forecasts the next doubling will take only about a dozen years. The race is still only about a million years old, and if we keep this up, it won't be getting a great deal older before something pretty unpleasant happens to remind us who's boss.

No more than the pheasant or the fox, we are all children of Mother Nature. As anyone here should know, she's the boss. And she treats her children very harshly.

Good grief,

All very deep and a bit too rich for my blood, we are going way off topic now Ged and you are waxing lyrical.

Think we both know which side of the fence we are on, and i respect you for admitting to being a carnivore, albeit a hypocritical one.

Enjoy your anally electrocuted chicken on Sunday, i will not be posting on this thread again.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
the thing i find most interesting about this thread is that fact that everyone seems to be arguing the same point "is it or isn't it ok to shoot a fox". IMHO no-one seems to have addressed what's actually happened here. so i will, "what're people's opinions of the celebration/glorification of killing, for example, publishing photo's of a dead fox alongside the rifle that was used to kill it?"

Well I think from my previous post you'll see that my point goes a bit further than "is it or isn't it ok to shoot" something. As far as I'm concerned by all means take satisfaction that you didn't allow an animal to suffer. But the line I draw stops well short of killing things for sport, which is what started this thread. Perhaps I could accept that the fox wasn't itself killed for sport, although I can't see that a solid case was made. But it is sport which underpins it. Of course it makes no difference to the fox in question, it can't pass on any more of its genes now.

As for the celebration/glorification angle, I've seen a lot worse than the OP in that regard and even Dougster was good enough to admit that he felt a bit bad.
You won't need me to tell you what I think about it.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Ho Hum, time for the thread closer to come :D

You lot can be very amusing at times, if someone had said to me that Dougster has posted a thread about shooting a fox I'd have predicted the people, the sides taken and the way the thread goes down hill and the whole time I'd have been thinking to myself that those who don't like this sort of thing should not read the threads. If you have no interest or do not agree with shooting animals then don't look at the threads, what's the point in posting on a thread that you don't like? To a point I can see that there's opinions shared etc but those opinions in this case take the thread way beyond a guy sharing something that he did at the weekend, if it's not your thing then leave threads like this alone so that those that have an appreciation can enjoy the thread rather than defending something they should not need to. It all seems daft to me and it really can get irritating from a moderating point of view, the mods and admin are like stuck records......IF YOU DO NOT LIKE THE SUBJECT DON'T READ THE THREAD :D

I'll close this because it's gone off track, not because the OP did anything wrong at all, in fact I think some of you are very rude people

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE