Todays hangover cure (dead stuff pics)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
It was my wife's birthday this week, so we had an open house last night. I knew I was out at 5.30 to get to the site by 6.30 after picking up a friend but I still fell into bed at midnight. Needless to say I was sore headed with a mouth like a baboons backside.

I got into the high seat just before dawn with orders to 'Get that bloody big fox' for Lord and Lady... who own the estate, there were five guns along his regular route as he's taking plenty pheasants.

15102011478.jpg

After about 45 minutes of enjoying the view and sipping coffee I heard my name from behind the hedge, the owner was telling me they had seen him move and they wanted me in a high seat at the far end of the shoot, as I looked back I saw something move on the far side of the field. A quick look proved it to be a fox, so a whisper and the owner moved back... I followed with the sight and watched the most beautiful fox I have ever seen hunting mice, it moved across the field and came to 150 yards, all watched from beneath through bins, my heart was in my mouth, first shot with a new rifle bar the range and a lot weighing on it.

The it all went wrong, I heard a click - so did the fox. Idiotically I had leaned in to brace and pushed the magazine release catch, kerthunk, it hit the wooded platform. The fox trotted across the field. I followed in the vain hope with one shot up the pipe, feeling like an utter ar5e.

The fox stopped and I took in the pressure, then it ran on, stopped a yard from the hedge, 150 yards away and turned to look. I squeezed. As the rifle went into recoil I saw it drop like a house of cards and a huge 'Whooppeeee' from below the tree.

We walked over to see the Vixen, entry below right ear, exit above left. She was beautiful and I felt a bit bad but the owner was thrilled. She pulled it back to the Landrover and I took a pic, it was different now she was wet and the life had gone, but she was in great condition on a diet of mice and pheasant so it was a good job done...

15102011479.jpg

Then I was moved with instructions to take foxes until breakfast at nine then we'd have deer later. Being a good boy I watched 4 Muntjac and a Roe walk past but no fox.

15102011481.jpg

I watched a beautiful dawn and saw a buzzard glide down the ride before perching 30 yards away, keeping an eye on the same spot.

15102011480.jpg

As I'm on my hols I'm going back on Monday, to get the dog of that Vixen, and as many muntjac as I lay eyes on.

Happy days!

Edit - Sorry for those interested. Tikka T3 in .243 and Schmidt and Bender 6 X 42

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... long live the pheasants!! ...

Well, just long enough for you to shoot them too?

It's good to know that so many people can be so pleased by something as easy as the pointless destruction of a beautiful creature.

Perhaps we should make sure someone posts pictures of needless killing here every day, so that we can keep that feel-good factor right up to the point of our own extinction.

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.

It's good to know that so many people can be so pleased by something as easy as the pointless destruction of a beautiful creature.

Perhaps we should make sure someone posts pictures of needless killing here every day, so that we can keep that feel-good factor right up to the point of our own extinction.

I'm sorry, I just don't get the link to 'our own extinction.' We are working on that in far better ways than shooting creatures.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE

You were warned in advance that the thread may contain something of which you obviously dissaprove and was posted in "fair game" why read it?

Reaps72

Forager
Jul 20, 2011
West Yorkshire
Well it has to be said that it is a shame that an animal that's just trying to survive had to die!

But & its a big but, the game shoots etc are what generates the majority of the income that keep the moorlands & wild places open & accessible to the masses in the UK, no game birds no shoots, no shoots no cash & no cash no well maintained moorlands, dales or fells!
We need to accept that it's not all fluffy & green in the country & for all of wildlife's sites & wonders there is a cost!
At least it was a clean quick death, from a professional carried out with consideration & respect for the natural surroundings!
Nice work & as said a beautiful animal, shame it was causing havoc with the pheasant stocks!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I just wrote a long winded reply to this and then decided to delete it all.

I thought it was a great post and I felt like I was there in the hunt with you Rich, on the other hand though I also get what ged is saying. In an ideal world I'd wish for all creatures to live along side one another, in reality though that will never happen as long as we are here. I fish and I've taken rabbits and squirrels for the pot, I know folk who also hunt deer and understand why that has to happen. In this case the land owner has requested the culling of the fox because it's affecting him financially, I don't know which side of the fence I sit with that.

Like I said though a great post.

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Fox's are lovely looking creatures but are pests too, and if their taking stock then their loosing you money.

Lovely gun and good shooting :)

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt

If you feel so strongly about it ged, we'll be sorry to see you go.

You have obviously grown up and live(d) in an area unaffected by the destructive Charlie.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS

I sure hope your a vegan.
Good shot Rich. When I was a kid I had a dozen chickens in one night a fox killed all of them, ate one and left all the others as Ged would say ''killed NEEDLESSLY"

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Perhaps we should litter the countryside with feeders filled with game-bird-flavour soya protein so Reynard doesn't have to plunder Milady's livelihood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE