to all Scout leaders

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

big_daddy_merc

Forager
Apr 9, 2007
chesterfield
i've been asked to get involved with the Scouts about 3-4 times now in the past few months, but i'm not sure what i would be doing and what it would involve, i know i'm not going to be Scout leader as soon as i get there, but where do you start in the Scouts?

cheers
Simon

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
big_daddy_merc said:
i've been asked to get involved with the Scouts about 3-4 times now in the past few months, but i'm not sure what i would be doing and what it would involve, i know i'm not going to be Scout leader as soon as i get there, but where do you start in the Scouts?
cheers
Simon

That depends. were you being asked by a specific Group to help out?

There are 2 sorts of adult support at a group level - uniformed Leaders and helpers; both have to be CRB (Criminal Records Beauru) checked, and there is an extensive training programme that uniformed leaders have to complete. What you do and where you start is probably entirely up to what level of time and effort you're willing to commit; and what section* you'll be working with.

Oh, by the way... don't believe anyone who says that it's just an hour or so a week!

* Sections are (in rough terms):
Beavers (6-8)
Cubs (8-10)
Scouts (10-14)
Explorers (14-18)
Network (18-25)

big_daddy_merc

Forager
Apr 9, 2007
chesterfield
thanks for the info guys, i've been asked by three people now and 2 asked me about becoming a uniformed leader as they are leaders of another group not too far away, but i'm not sure if i'm cut out for that as there's a big difference between going with just my 2 kids into the field and taking a scout group out, think i'll have to do some thinking about this

Steve27752

Settler
May 7, 2007
Berkshire, U.K.
Simon,
My son moved up from Beavers to Cubs last year, and when my shifts allow I go allong as a non uniformed adult helper and help out at the meetings.
I also help out at the Cub camps, last weekend the Cubs camped out for two nights. On this occassion, I did not stay overnight I arrived at about 7.15 in the mornings and helped with breakfasts, the rest of the days were packed full of activities building fires, camp fire cooking or tracking or just team games. I went home after the campfire, at about 21.30.
Unless you have a lot of time available you may be better going along as a helper. Uniformed or not.
The Leaders are a really dedicated bunch of people.
Steve :)

Bosun

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 30, 2003
Gloucester, UK
Simon

Have a look at http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/library/hqdocs/facts/ (scroll down to the "Adult Support" section). There's shed loads of information on there - including role descriptions for the various types of leader (so you could find out what you may be letting yourself in for).

I've been an Assistant Scout Leader (ASL) for about four years now - since my son joined Beavers. He's now with me in the Scout Troop - much to his annoyance.

We've just had a brilliant weekend in Snowdonia with our District's Explorer Scouts, and I'm quite keen to introduce out young people to bushcraft, etc.

I'd recommend going along to a couple of meetings and see what goes on before you commit to anything, but I can recommend involvement at any level.

It's only two hours a week. There, I've said it :)

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
I Think with going into uniform you can still put as little as a couple of hours a week in I Do! You may feel more part of the team and get more training as well .If you enjoy the challenge and frustration of working with young people go for it you will have fun :lmao: :lmao:

TAZ

Tenderfoot
Aug 3, 2004
Farnborough, Hampshire
You could always start as a non-uniformed helper and take it in stages from there. :cool: .I am an Explorer leader but I have a good team with me who make it feel like I hardly do anything (till the end of year chase-ups!). It's a big step but remember, it is voluntary, if you don't like it you can walk away.

big_daddy_merc

Forager
Apr 9, 2007
chesterfield
cheers guys, i think i have a lot to read and think about over it. one of our friends we go hiking with once a months a leader( and was the first person to ask me) so i think i'll have a good chat with them to see whats going off in the area and maybe tag along to a few of there meets as well :cool:

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
As you say go along and see what they want but remember they should ask what you want and offer you support.

You could just help at camps or at section meetings a couple of times a year but the same always applies all help is thankfully recieved.
Here is a quote from a letter I am about print 60 copies of to hand out my group asking for various help.
Your help will always be appreciated however large or small a contribution you make.

If you help :You_Rock_

big_daddy_merc

Forager
Apr 9, 2007
chesterfield
well i've gone and done it, my youngest got invested friday into cubs, and guess what the three of them did.
only went and told the leaders i was thinking of helping:eek:
any how they told me that they are short on helpers for the Scout group( which is what i wanted to do anyway) and my oldest daughter has been wanting to join Scouts for ages, so we are going monday night to see how we go:D

the leaders almost jumped on me when i said i'm into bushcraft as they also need some-one with some knowlage of it to help in some badges, i though they were going to tie my up so i wouldn't get away :lmao:

once again guys thanks for all the advice it has been a real help and i'm sure it will in the future too:beerchug: :beerchug:
never know may see you at camp one day:D

big_daddy_merc

Forager
Apr 9, 2007
chesterfield
well first night over and done with:D , had a bit of nerves but that didn't last long as i got stuck in almost from the start, also been asked if i could help with a camp in the next few weeks doing bushcrafty type of things, so i think it's safe to say i could be going back.
i think once we all get to know each other we'll be ok, i can see what you mean though about it being very rewarding working with the kids

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
If you can get the "Cool!" factor, showing them something they might never have seen before, then you're more than halfway there.

If you can show them that THEY can do it themselves - you're there; and the expression on their faces at that point makes the times (and they will exist) when you wish you'd never started not seem so bad.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
We made nettle soup last week and the Kids loved it.
I was chuffed that I got the pickiest eater I have ever seen to try it. He didnt like it but that didn't matter he actaually tried it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11:D

It can be rewarding.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE