Tin can woodgas stove.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

conall

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2009
southampton
Instructions for a woodgas stove.

Stumbled across a paper on down draught gassifier and have been tinkering around with them for a while, I expect this has been covered before but what the hey :) here goes.

I used 2 tins to make this, the stove is a large grapefruit tin from tesco but you can also get same size tin with new potatoes in it just get what your going to eat 
And the burner which goes inside the stove was a small sweetcorn tin. Total cost less than £1.

1) The outer stove:-
place the sweetcorn tin on top of grapefruit tin & mark around the circumference & cut out using a Stanley knife “be careful of sharp edges at this point please!” then mark and drill 11 6mm holes at 1.5 cm spaces around the base of grapefruit tin.

2) The burner:-
Drill 8 6mm holes at equal spaces just below the opening of the sweetcorn can about 8mm down, these will be the burner holes. Drill 8 6mm holes around the base again spaced equally these where about a 1cm up, this will be where the gas is drawn out from and up the side to be ignited. Turn over tin and drill a load of holes in the base, I managed 29, this will be the grate and also give a good supply of oxygen for the stove.

3) Assembly of stove:-
If all has gone to plan slide the burner into the outer stove tin.

4)
Place small pieces of wood into the burner and light. I used BBQ lighter fluid for this test but have also light my smaller stove by using tinder and kindling on top of it so you don’t need to take accelerant with you to light this stove 

As soon as it charcoals on the top, the woodgas will start to be drawn down inside the tin and up the inner chamber out to the burner holes. Stick you pot on top and away you go cooking or boiling 

This stove needs so little fuel to cook on and I have discovered if the wood is all about the same length and placed vertically down into the burner it will burn for a lot longer. This stove is really efficient and clean. Hardly any soot or smoke and very little ash left at the end.

As mentioned earlier I have made a smaller one using a dog food tin and the burner from a household can of polish more holes for the burner but smaller ones 16 of 2.3mm but still all other holes 6mm.

I have almost perfect combustion with this one as you can see from the nearly blue flames produced. I take this one with me and I have made a small alcohol stove that fits inside the burner as a second stove, I only need to take 120ml of alcohol which is nothing really.

Hope this has been useful to you.
P.S can post or email my alcohol stove if you want 

P.P.S Don't think the pictures have attached with text, any suggestions on how to paste photos in would be appreciated :)

conall

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2009
southampton
Darn it! Didnt think the photos attached :-( tried pasting it from word document....can't seem to get the flipping photos pasted onto this post. how do others get their pics up?

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Well here's my go :- scribed around bean tin on top of soup can cut through and peeled back with needle nose pliers, drilled tins and pushed together. The pot stand is a pinapple ring tin with the top cut off ( tin opener ) and using the bean tin scribed and cut out a hole in the bottom then used " church key " can opener for air slots. The billy's just a stainless tea pot ( charity shop )

1-1.jpg

1a.jpg

2-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

quite a good wood gas effect
cheers all Danny

conall

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2009
southampton
cool those pics are nearly the same just hole sizes different, this is the link for the stove burning with a pot stand made from a metal coat hanger :)

vrrapz.jpg

Will post images for other projects here so hopefully they can be viewed.

Big thank you to those that helped me with sorting out the posting of photos :)

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
cool those pics are nearly the same just hole sizes different, this is the link for the stove burning with a pot stand made from a metal coat hanger :)

Will post images for other projects here so hopefully they can be viewed.

Big thank you to those that helped me with sorting out the posting of photos :)

The only thing you need to do now is work out how to reduce the size :)

Graham

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE