Tight squeeze for a fat boy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Many thanks to all those who helped me with caving technique advice at http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51132

I thought you might like to know how we fared so here is a report of our 3day 2 night trip. 24 16-17 year olds doing their DOE Award, 2 teachers, 1 tag along teacher’s husband (me) and a guide.

Camp site was at the edge of the forest. We did a long walk through secondary jungle, lots of palms and bracken to a stream where the kids cooked lunch.

Bloodied by the leeches – the jungle’s baptism by blood

P1080018.jpg

Guide eating lunch. (Top bloke)

P1080019Medium.jpg

These kids were fresh to the bush in many cases and, being young, did not listen to advice on how to pack their kit. They had difficulty remembering things despite being told a dozen times.
The lead teacher is a let-them- learn-the-hard-way believer and that was refreshing. The kids were nice and well-behaved –a couple whined and a few others felt stretched by the effort of carrying their packs but generally pleasant company

We traced the creek down stream. This was good fun. There was some exposure in the small gorges but no fixed ropes and they had to rely on vines and rattan. Its very slippery and harder than it looks

P1080028Medium.jpg

P1080031.jpg

P1080034.jpg

P1080035.jpg

P1080057.jpg

P1080055.jpg

P1080053.jpg

P1080058.jpg

P1080039Medium.jpg

P1080043.jpg

P1080045.jpg

P1080061Medium.jpg

The second night was hard as some had wet sleeping bags (strapped them on the outside while river tracing!) and wet clothes (not bothering to waterproof them!). (I’ve done dumb things like that so I can’t be harsh on them. I thank the instructors who left me in wet gear in winter – I’ve never made this mistake again.)

Day two we went to a cave. Not wild caves quite the opposite in fact, but we detoured to do adventure caving. These are caves above ground in some limestone hills.

P1090132Medium.jpg

P1090134Medium.jpg

P1090129Medium.jpg

There were some nice critters inside - Cave crickets, centipedes and a cave racer snake.

P1090126Medium.jpg

P1090125Medium.jpg

P1090074Medium-1.jpg

P1090075Medium.jpg

Nice formations too and some chambers with skylights showing the hills and forest above us.

P1090124Medium.jpg

P1090081Medium.jpg

P1090082Medium.jpg

P1090109Medium.jpg

P1090086Medium.jpg

P1090071Medium.jpg

P1090067Medium.jpg

P1090066Medium.jpg

P1090078Medium.jpg

Could I get through the tight passages I was worrying about?

Well this is me looking glum after trying.

P1090105Small.jpg

I tried on my back and with one arm and shoulder extended over my head and a few different angles of attack.

The opening was like a flattened diamond. I had space to the side but a low clearance. Had to have head on the side. Each time the lowest section stuck on my chest. Only way through was to exhale and move but I could see more tight sections ahead and figured that to reverse through a series of tight squeeze was not worth it as the guide had told me a tighter one was ahead. I’d just delay the trip.

This is what I was trying to get into

P1090092Medium.jpg

P1090104AyeeshaMedium.jpg

Psychologically it wasn’t a problem but concentrating was hard as the cave water had something that felt like sea-lice bites all over your body. Anybody have any idea what this could be?

The kids were beanpoles and had little trouble size wise. No fat or big kids The guides and teacher were all small and about 5’4” max.

Still I had a good time. Going back I was able to spend more time poking about in the cave.

P1090106Medium.jpg

P1090120Medium.jpg

Spider web. Why are they so erratic? The spider can’t see in the dark?

P1090083Medium.jpg

Thanks for your help and for reading.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Excellent.

I had a similar experience when I was an apprentice. At the end of our first year, we were sent on an "Adventure Week", doing different activities each day. One of them was caving, and we were taken to a cave near Ingleton. This cave has a feature called the Cheese Press, and even though I was the biggest in the group, I was assured that I'd fit through.
After twenty minutes of huffing, puffing, straining and swearing, I was dragged back out by the ankles and shown the long way round.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
These kids were fresh to the bush in many cases and, being young, did not listen to advice on how to pack their kit. They had difficulty remembering things despite being told a dozen times.
The lead teacher is a let-them- learn-the-hard-way believer and that was refreshing.

Thank you for sharing the great story and those pics.
makes me half-wish (those leeches!) to be there, too.

On the subject of making ones one experiences, we all did that, thinking the sun were shining out of our bum-hole and so having to re-learn the same boring stuff as a generation before us.
One really wonders how humanity made it so far, evolution-wise!

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Makes me yearn for the days of my youth - it'd be good to get the furry suit out for a bit of thrutching!

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
looks very interesting -

the first and only time i went caving i ended up causing severe damage to my knee.
not my thing these days.

great pics though mate- thanks for sharing.

andy

Beorn

Oct 27, 2009
Ulm
Locks great :You_Rock_! This is what should be done with kids and youths! We do this under the Swabian Alb, it's a bit cold, but always challenging (especially for me and my 95kg around my waist :lmao:).

Wow! I always look forward to your pictures and these are awesome!! Thanks for sharing them. I have spent a good bit of time under shelter rocks and going a little ways into caves but squeezing and forcing my way into tight passages has never been my thing...then again I'm not exactly small either. At 6 feet 3 inches, and 275 pounds I don't fit in many tight places :)

Forager
Jun 16, 2008
North East
Nice post bod
That looks like a great trip and there are some interesting creatures in those caves.
That tight squeeze would have given me the creeps though!

Dec 11, 2009
cornwall
Oh my gawd, NO NO NO NO, Just dont do it, went pot holeing at Cheddar gorge when i was in the scouts "many moons ago" until then i dont think i was claustraphobic, now just looking at pictures of it just make me feel icky, just the memory of going down hill head first through stupidly small spaces with water running all around you for what seems like forever with people in front and behind is NOT i repeat NOT fun.
Fair play to you fella.:You_Rock_

BOD

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
:lmao: Not that little centripede. These are 3-4 times bigger.

http://scienceray.com/biology/zoology/bizarre-cave-dwellers/

Still I am glad that I only encountered them. If I encountered the one below there would be a minor earthquake as I struggle to get out of the passage fast.

I've seen them before but not this time.

let David Attenborough introduce them. Fast ********

http://www.buzzhumor.com/videos/2090/Giant_Centipede_vs._Cave_Bat

Nope your right , not those!! They are a type of Scutigera i think?! Looks like a great cave system for a good old nose around.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE