They don't understand!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
People ask me if I secretly wish there was a nuclear fall out so I could survive while others dont. At that point I step away slowly.

baz p

Nov 16, 2010
manchester
it pees me off because all i get is........"who do you think you are...ray mears..?", sorry but no i think I'm me who enjoys going out into the woodlands of our country settle down with my buddies and have a good old brew and a chin wag about all those strange people who stay at home watching other people live their lives on T.V(thats my little dig at reality T.V) instead of being part of life itself.

wow i feel good now that's of my chest, thanks for listening, and the payment for the therapy will be in your account by next week

mattweasel

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2010
hertfordshire england
My brother, a former soldier of 16 years service, said to me, "what do you want to go and sleep in the woods for?" and " At least I used to get paid for it". But I know that he really loved being in the army and being outdoors, so I think if he could he would probably join me.
My other brother keeps asking why I paid to go on a tracking course, I usually reply that I like to find and observe animals in the wild. I know this brother always watches wildlife programes on telly and I think he would really like to be with me watching the animals in the woods.

I think some people would like to do, the things the people on this forum do, but are too afraid of doing something different or unusual.

Mind you my third brother, who is a chef, was quite interested in the nettle soup I made last year, so 1 out of 3 brothers isn't bad:)

hertsboy

Forager
May 16, 2009
Watford, Hertfordshire
As a matter of fact, the people I know rather admire me for going out in the wilds to live for a few days.

Thus usual reaction I get when someone first learns that I do this is "Wow, I'd love to do that!". I never respond by saying "Why don't you, then?" Instead I say "You're welcome to come with me next time I do - I've got plent of spare gear you can use".

No-one's ever taken me up on my offer yet!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
why dont you just use a lighter?...
there is plenty of string in the parcel cupboard...
bags of salad are like a quid...
why would anyone want to kill something to eat...are you enjoying that BLT?
do you really need ten stoves?
there is lots and lots lol

Tell them you want to kill something and eat it because it struggles too hard if you try to eat it live.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yup I know the feeling and most of the time I keep it to myself. As I work in an office as well and the most common question asked is "What is bushcraft/that?" After mentioning what I do, the basic response is have you ever seen or heard of Ray Mears / Bear Grylls (simplest reply to people who may have seen them on the box) and the usual answer is no so I have to explain it and usually get an odd look and nothing else.
Most of the time its banter between me and my boss who likes proper camping on camp sites or taking a large tent with him.

Also I agree with you Xunil on the football thing, I used to like it as a kid but grew out of it and now can't stand it, even when my co-workers start talking about my brain just switches off. Now if they had proper stuff on the telly like archery or shooting that would be great.

As for my kit, there is some organisation there...honest.

You don't have an "Outdoor Life" channel there yet?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
If I find someone who does actually say they would like to do this, I try and suggest dates that this would be possible. They always seem to be busy!

I get that a lot. I used to plan trips banking on others, now i plan a trip and if others come too then great, if not i just go alone and enjoy the time to my self.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE