The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Hi Geoff, here's one I'd like an opinion on. I make this Fomitopsis pinicola, growing on a wooden post, probably a softwood. Not one I know so I'm looking for confirmation or otherwise.

16661299212_a72743b30b_b.jpg

16455020667_bff348c9d7_b.jpg

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Going to answer my own question. I'm definite that this is Fomitopsis pinicola now. Found four specimens, confirmed presence of a resinous upper surface crust, seen weeping pores on a younger specimen, not really anything else it can be.

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
Oversight on my part. I have come on holiday without my fungus books. Found a group of these under a beech hedge. The larger specimen is about 5 inches in diameter and the spore print Is whitish (on smaller cap)
20150407_183618.jpg20150407_183543.jpg

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Oversight on my part. I have come on holiday without my fungus books. Found a group of these under a beech hedge. The larger specimen is about 5 inches in diameter and the spore print Is whitish (on smaller cap)
View attachment 35291View attachment 35292

Well, it's St George's time, but that doesn't look like the stem of a St George's Mushroom. What did they smell like?

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Found a few patches of these guys a few days ago in town..

Seem to be thriving quite well in the wet on the wood chips.

Name..??

That's what I thought it was as well, but unless you have a professional with you or a good field guide then if in doubt leave it out. But this I can tell you it is from the boletus family those which have pores instead of gills. I was a member of the SFG Staffordshire Fungi Group. Hope this helps.

An idea on this think it's a field mushroom? Thanks in advance
87f9d0e124aaeef927d84d5c59bf944f.jpg
9e2a8d4d1de8141b1deac17b1da25389.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This is not a field Mushroom as a field mushroom has a white to greyish cap, no cracking on the cap and the gills are pink when young, then they change to brown then dark brown. The stipe or stem is white and ringed. Be careful get a decent field guide. Recommended Blacks Nature Guides. Mushrooms & Toadstools of Great Britain and Europe. Hope this helps.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
How to tell mushrooms from toadstools quickly and accurately?

No such distinction exists. They are the same thing.

If you mean how to tell edible fungi from inedible/dangerous ones, then again there is no simple hard and fast rule. You either know your fungi and know which species are safe to eat and how to recognise them reliably, or you don't eat wild fungi. 'Shortcut' rules will get you into difficulties.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
attachment.php
attachment.php

Witches egg stinkhorn family, would be harvstmans guess, and I think its probably correct.

Doesnt smell now though. Surrounded by orange jelly, hard centre. Supposed to be edible at this young stage, think i'll pass though. :)

Whats I find odd, is them just rolling around the ground, on the path, not connected to anything.

Attachments

• P1000180.jpg
    P1000180.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 107
  • P1000181.jpg
    P1000181.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 106
Jul 16, 2015
United Kingdom
right be gentle on me (first post)
Here is the background on this mushroom, I have built a raised bed at the top of the garden this year and it was a bit larger than i thought (too much doing not enough thinking) its about 8*4 foot and 2 foot high, so when it came time to fill it i realized the error of my ways, after chatting to a lady that lives at the other end of the street (who has ponies) she offered me as much horse poo as i wanted, after an evenings work i got about 2 cubic meters of the stuff and poured it all in, followed by 600 liters of peat moss and 250 of topsoil, all rotavated in together and probably 100 worms from my wormary and we are done. Now i admit that when loading the poo into bags i noticed a lot of white spores but though no more about it at the time.

That got us in a position where we was good enough to plant things, off to the garden center load up with veg and were up and running, time to relax and have a beer or go fishing..

Its been about a month and the veg is doing great, but a few days ago i noticed some fungus growing out from underneath the side of the raised bed, followed shortly after by what can only be a bloom of mushrooms coming though the soil at one ond of the bed (there now starting to pop up all over the place).

I think that they are "shaggy ink caps" they are white with a shaggy top and grow quite rapidly, it seems to take 2 to 3 days for the mushroom to sprout through the soil, then blossom into am attractive looking mushroom before disintegrating into an inky jet black mess.

If anyone could ID these as Shaggy ink caps i would be delighted as i use to pick these when i was in the army and they was lovely, but having not foraged for years i thought i would ask some experts, happy to take more photo's if needed, thanks, Paul

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w603wm4oejf1eqv/shroom1.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qphldkf4i2enf4c/shroom3.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ogolntvaogvg9mh/shrrom2.jpg?dl=0

Coudnt work out how to host the images and embed them but you can right click and open in a new tab (i think)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE