The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
I'd really appreciate help with identification of those below. Unless otherwise stated (1, 9, 10), all are coastal grassland/scrub. The hole in the blade is 13mm.

1. Deciduous woodland, dry cap, peelable surface:

----

----

----

____

____

____

____

____
9. Deciduous woodland

____
10. Deciduous woodland

We aren't going to eat any of these, so no liability issues!

Last edited:

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Long day, brief response:

1: yellow stainer
2: waxcap (can't be naffed to look it up)
3: dunno
4: meadow waxcap
5: blewit, looks like a wood blewit
6:waxcap
7: meadow waxcap
8: blackening waxcap
9: oyster mushroom
10: candlesnuff fungus

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
Thanks for for taking the time to help a novice, Geoff. I do look in the books but find features of different species overlapping with some specimens; gets confusing.

Long day, brief response:

1: yellow stainer Xav - didn't stain while I was there so I f it wasn't for the subtle, browny scales on the cap, I'd have mistaken this for a Wood mushroom (which apparently also stain?! What!)

2: waxcap (can't be naffed to look it up) - Xav: could it be Hygrophorus reai (Marie Cap)?
3: dunno
4: meadow waxcap
5: blewit, looks like a wood blewit Xav - phew, what I thunk
6:waxcap -Xav- thought it might be a goblet waxcap (decurrent gills, etc.)
7: meadow waxcap
8: blackening waxcap Xav - good, that's what I thought, though I also thought it might be Hygrocybe nigrescens as you can see in the extra pic, the gills are free, not sinuate (but I am not familiar with sinuate gills...!)
9: oyster mushroom
10: candlesnuff fungus

Last edited:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
An amazing crop of shaggy incaps. Sorry for the dodgy night time phone pics. The biggest were about a foot high.

59af8a869c5f3d42003d24a228408112.jpg

TallTom

Forager
Mar 23, 2014
Surrey
Hello all, I have attempted to look these up but not had any luck. I'm assuming the first two are the same type in different stages of growth.

6ec4ba1fbee2515e7a919c66b020cfa5.jpg

7a390bb424a2081fadccf98736eaa888.jpg

This one found on rotting bark chippings
0bc1ecdf20dc4dccee2f973fa3f05950.jpg

This one at the base of a dead deciduous tree.
62f970e4128cd96cae1f85532c84ad23.jpg

Thanks in advance

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I would say that last one is Fairies Bonnet, aka Trooping Crumble Cap Coprinus (as was) disseminatus. The scientific name has probably changed due to a revision of the group.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
1 is probably Gymnopus confluens
2 and 4 are either Coprinellus disseminatus (Fairy inkcap) or Psathyrella pygmaea, which are very similar and sometimes grow together.
I don't know what 3 is and it has got to that point in the autumn where I'm a bit mushroomed out and can't be naffed to try to identify stuff that isn't going to be edible! Last foraging customers today.

Also, if anyone is interested, I'm going to be on the Breakfast Show on BBC Radio Kent on Wednesday, with live outside broadcasts throughout the show. They are going to set me some sort of fungi foraging challenge, apparently, and I'm going to have to try to complete it with a reporter in tow. Might be on BBC South Today too. Fun way to end the season. :)

Last edited:

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Hi Geoff, good luck with the radio event.

Is it possible to get the fungus below any further than Stropharia sp? This is the only shot I have of it. Taken in an old walled garden that has been overgrown with bramble and nettle, but which was recently cleared.
15710244488_4e4f78bf06_b.jpg

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
Hi Geoff, good luck with the radio event.

Is it possible to get the fungus below any further than Stropharia sp? This is the only shot I have of it. Taken in an old walled garden that has been overgrown with bramble and nettle, but which was recently cleared.
15710244488_4e4f78bf06_b.jpg
Reminded me of Clitocybe odura (aniseed toadstool)

TallTom

Forager
Mar 23, 2014
Surrey
1 is probably Gymnopus confluens
2 and 4 are either Coprinellus disseminatus (Fairy inkcap) or Psathyrella pygmaea, which are very similar and sometimes grow together.
I don't know what 3 is and it has got to that point in the autumn where I'm a bit mushroomed out and can't be naffed to try to identify stuff that isn't going to be edible! Last foraging customers today.

Also, if anyone is interested, I'm going to be on the Breakfast Show on BBC Radio Kent on Wednesday, with live outside broadcasts throughout the show. They are going to set me some sort of fungi foraging challenge, apparently, and I'm going to have to try to complete it with a reporter in tow. Might be on BBC South Today too. Fun way to end the season. :)
Thanks Geoff and good luck with the show.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Here's a challenge for you then Geoff. Is this Bolbitius vitellinus, or something else? As you can see from the picture, this is a very small fungus, maximum 1cm across in the cap.

15744005187_197d13791f_b.jpg

Dec 9, 2014
Ireland
Just going back to that previous post. One is actually likely to be gymnopilus hybridus. The one in two different stages growth is actually psathyrella multipedata, not coprinus disseminatus.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE