What have you done for the Environment Today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I heard bracken and ferns are good at soaking up water. Considering I live with a steep rear garden and a garage that bubbles up groundwater after really heavy rain I'm not taking out the bracken we've got growing above the house. Even though I hate the stuff it's staying. Mind you it's died back when the heavy rains come so how much will it still take up?

I'm coming to the opinion we need to work with nature. Which is why I'm looking at a plant based option to slow the rainwater down and hopefully save our garage from flooding. Although I might just go interventionist and put a French drain in as a quicker solution. I do like the idea of a natural solution if possible.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Not done it today, but done it for the last 12 years.. I’m virtually chemical free.
Only natural soap & plant based cleaners used for everything.
Yes. My wife is a stickler for this too.
I am a happy husband when handed the white vinegar spray and told to clean the shower & facilities. Keeps our septic tank healthy as well.
S

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I heard bracken and ferns are good at soaking up water. Considering I live with a steep rear garden and a garage that bubbles up groundwater after really heavy rain I'm not taking out the bracken we've got growing above the house. Even though I hate the stuff it's staying. Mind you it's died back when the heavy rains come so how much will it still take up?

I'm coming to the opinion we need to work with nature. Which is why I'm looking at a plant based option to slow the rainwater down and hopefully save our garage from flooding. Although I might just go interventionist and put a French drain in as a quicker solution. I do like the idea of a natural solution if possible.
I have a number of French drains in strategic places. My house sits on a watershed so I have a choice two separate directions where water can be directed.
In one direction I dug a pond and all water running towards this keeps it a sensible level until high summer when it dries out.
Oh no I hear, BUT this means dragonfly larvae do not eat the newt population. Keeps a good balance.
Other direction is into a ditch system within which hide the grass snakes.
Renewing the runs, which are made of foot long clay pipes all full of silt which restricts their purpose, was a major but rewarding task.
I mainly use 75mm perforated blue flexible pipe from the local land-drainage contractors and 20mm shingle.
Getting this ground water away from our 1859 house was one of the most noticeable changes. What were ringing wet walls became dry walls in five months!
S

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I understand you can get geotechnical fabric to wrap around the drain helps to reduce silting. You build the drain with the perforated pipe resting on it in the trench. Gravel over pipe then the rest of the fabric over the top with more gravel or gravel then turf if hiding it. That's one design of French drain I saw.

Reactions: swyn

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Signed and shared this -probably worth everyone here doing the same.

France has at least banned the big 5

Last edited:
Reactions: nigelp

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Litter picked a local Footpath and wooded area.

God bless all those individuals all too lethargic to take their rubbish home with them. They must be exhausted.

• Haha
Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
There's a guy in the nearby town who's an anti litter activist. He's picked up litter somewhere in the town every day for several years. He's used the information to resort litter issues to the council. He's even taken the council to court a few times over his claim they're not doing the legal requirements on that. Lost all his court cases but he's not planning on stopping.

One road he picked up 8 large sacks of rubbish one day, then the next went back and collected 4 bags that had been dumped since his pick up cleaned the street up. I'm sorry but he should be getting a gong in the next honours list for trying to be the change in his area like that. Instead they'll give it to a footballer, actor or reality TV show star I guess.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Mostly a muse - but maybe this could ( should ) become a running thread?

I saw this long running thread :- https://bushcraftuk.com/community/threads/what-did-you-buy-today.70299/

And I just thought , well, that's very commercial isn't it? I mean , its in essence about being a Consumer.

Now I'm not on a massive rant about people buying stuff ( been more than guilty of that myself ) but as I get older I now ask myself ( and this may sound kooky ) about what sort of relationship I want with the item I'm buying??? Does it have too much packaging ? if I buy it I am now RESPONSIBLE for the actual recycling and disposal of that - etc.

So as we are all Bushcrafter's I'd like to pose a new question - WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR THE ENVIRONMENT TODAY??

Could be as simple as picking up litter or rubbish on a local walk , but hopefully is could be something more interesting as planting trees , organising a community rubbish collection , cutting back invasive non-native species etc.
burnt a pile of car tyres. absolute eyesore. looks really nice now . :)

Last edited:

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Did a bit of clearing up after some attempted bushcrafters had done their work in some woodland on Dartmoor... few bits of cordage, some pegs, a couple tealights discarded, big scorch mark... further along my walk I picked up a discarded military spade cover, few bits of plastic here and there..
Bit of a shame really. This wasn't some "lads" out pitching a tent, burning whatever they can find and leave their beer cans strewn about, this was someone trying their hand at some sort of simple life wild camping/bushcrafting...

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Planted more willow , collected up some plastic river rubbish.

Looking around my local area and thinking what can I do next to leave this better than it is currently?

Reactions: Broch

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
If everyone thought similarly we’d live in a wonderful world.

I picked up 3 other peoples’ dog eggs today who thought they would just leave them there for everyone else to enjoy.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: TeeDee and Broch

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I surveyed two sites today where the owners are intending to manage for habitat improvement, biodiversity, and wildlife. One is 8 acres of wet pasture that will be converted to wetland and carr as well as scrub and small woodland planting. It will be a fantastic site.

Reactions: TeeDee

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Carefully avoided starting up the strimmer to clear the drive. Avoided starting the car and not gone shopping.
Done the washing up for a children’s birthday party using stainless steel scourer and a bamboo brush.

I’m attempting the “1 less” challenge. 1 less trip out in the car this week.

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
You Sir - are a step above me. Wow.

My dog sometimes has a dodgy tummy so I go prepared, the efforts we have had to go to to clean up after him when he was a puppy especially were ridiculous, but just couldn’t stand the idea of leaving it for others to deal with.

Drives me up the wall when people leave solid and easily-pick-up-able ones there. Thankfully as I go prepared just in case, I have no shortage of bags to tidy up after the selfish folks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE