The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Can't determine this one? Suillus variegatus?
4e9745d8-1ed5-8ee6.jpg

4e9745d8-1eef-0cbb.jpg

4e9745d8-1f0b-7f44.jpg

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk 2

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
"Try walking old railway cuttings that are now paths, :thumbup:
Growing by willow and hawthorn on ashy soil..."

I will do thankee sir *doffs cap*

Suillus variegatus? Naa, no pores... looks more like some kind of Trichloma or Hyphloma to me, but like all good shroom ID requests, the shroomery is the place to ask for not so common fungi.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I can't even tell whether it has gills or tubes from those photos.
Sorry for poor pics, this phone doesn't have macro and my dog stood on the best specimen. It had gills, not overly crowded. A mushroomy smell. No discolouration after slicing. Solid stalk. Growing on a clay soil stoney banking, under pine, but equally mixed wood.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
"Try walking old railway cuttings that are now paths, :thumbup:
Growing by willow and hawthorn on ashy soil..."

I will do thankee sir *doffs cap*

Suillus variegatus? Naa, no pores... looks more like some kind of Trichloma or Hyphloma to me, but like all good shroom ID requests, the shroomery is the place to ask for not so common fungi.

An tips hat in return :thumbup:

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I'll chat with my foraging buddy... He pickles hedgehog mushrooms, and they are very nice indeedy.

If pickling, it's advised to clean them well, blanch and only use the best vinegar or oil you can manage. Some would say to add pepper corns and half dozen garlic cloves to the oil together with 2/3 bay leaves. Well sealed jar. Once opened, keep in fridge an use quickly. It also says, the remaining oil makes a good salad dressing :thumbup:

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
How odd... I'm having a slice of hand cut bread with some jews ear pickle juice now :)

Nom, nom :)

I think he uses some water to keep the sharpness down/flavour in. I'll ask him at some stage soon.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Sounds interesting, not got round to trying Jews lug oyles yet.. Let alone Jews lug oyle oil :D
They reckon it gets its name from Judas Iscariot, who was said to have been hung from an Elder.. I prefer Wood Ear, but then I'm heathen :p and as it grows on totha trees aswell ;)

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Sorry for poor pics, this phone doesn't have macro and my dog stood on the best specimen. It had gills,

Not a Suillus then...

not overly crowded. A mushroomy smell. No discolouration after slicing. Solid stalk. Growing on a clay soil stoney banking, under pine, but equally mixed wood.

Did it exude milk? Is that white spot on the cap milk?

There's a few different things coming through now. I saw a russula today, and some large brown things I couldn't identify.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
If pickling, it's advised to clean them well, blanch and only use the best vinegar or oil you can manage. Some would say to add pepper corns and half dozen garlic cloves to the oil together with 2/3 bay leaves. Well sealed jar. Once opened, keep in fridge an use quickly. It also says, the remaining oil makes a good salad dressing :thumbup:

So no pickling in vinegar then?

mercurykev

Forager
Sep 6, 2011
Musselburgh
Out on a bike ride today I happened across what I'm pretty sure are my first discovered St George's mushrooms. Found by the roadside growing in little clumps, on grass and near beech trees. They definitely have a distinctive smell, I'd say it was mealy, and Rodger Phillips entry looks to confirm my suspicions.

Specimens cleaned up and on a plate:

7234601586_a9ce59a760_z.jpg

A couple in situ:

7234598728_e7cdb75ba3_z.jpg

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
Anyone know what kind of mushroomsi these are please? Found them, spookily enough, growing in one of my grow bags for the tomatoes? I've got loads of other bags of the same type and no other shrooms anywhere, quite strange.

xghd7o.jpg

2zqx9h0.jpg

s2d2zl.jpg

2yx10kk.jpg

If better quality pics are needed I'll break out the tripod, these are re-sized but hopefully they're clear enough, the mushroom pictured is kinda rounded like a button shroom but the others are flattening out and are a day or so older if that helps?

Cheers

Si

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
A bit tricky, I think. They look a bit like St George's, but I'm not sure about the habitat. What do they smell like?

Also, a spore print would help.
Stems seem wide for George?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE