The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Wow, part of me is impressed that I sort of know a slime mold when I see one, the other half is completely astonished that they get to that size.

Thanks everyone.

Thetillerman71

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 9, 2012
Gloucester
Those cramp balls are well worth harvesting as a tinder as they will take a spark from a firesteel and smoulder like a bricket. If you make a birds nest around one and blow into it instant fire

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Raw ? Or cooked ? Mmmm can feel a tasting coming on..... cheers yall

sent using my sausage thumb

Cooked. Various species of slime mould are eaten by native american Indians who call them "Caca de Luna" (literally "moon****.") This species is one of those they eat, although only when small, apparently. I've not tried it, but I have eaten one of the others (tubiferia ferruginosa, or "strawberry slime.") They are like little balloons containing milk. The other edible one (AFAIK) is the Dog Vomit Slime Mold (Fuligo septica.)

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Found this the other day (lighter for scale), thought it was a really old football at first then when I moved it a big cloud of spores came out.

20120327_181230.jpg
Just wondered what it was - I guess its some sort of puffball but Ive never seen anything that big before (its nearly head sized).

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Can anyone I.D. these please-

mush 1.jpgmush 2.jpgmush 3.jpg

Very gold and very shiney, looked like they'd been sprayed gold.
Found growing on some sweepings from a stable yard that had been dumped in a field.

thanks

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I suspect the 'grows on horse manure' might be a clue.

Finally got some rain here. Hopefully this means a nice crop of St George's mushrooms shortly, and maybe a few morels. :)

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
I suspect the 'grows on horse manure' might be a clue.

Finally got some rain here. Hopefully this means a nice crop of St George's mushrooms shortly, and maybe a few morels. :)

Lots of rain here too. I was out yesterday with the Sussex Fungi Group. No morels, but plenty of "Spring Knight" (Melanoleuca cognata). This is a new edible for me. Not bad, for a melanoleuca...

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Found yesterday (by harvestman) on a huge pile of wood chippings at mine... Possibly Pluteus cervinus?

Vphnx.jpg

Stratts

Forager
Nov 2, 2010
Yaxley, Peterborough
Do these look like field blewits guys? My food for free book says Oct to Dec which has thrown me a bit.

They were in a grass field and part of a horseshoe ring of some larger ones that had gone a bit soggy.

Defo have a purple/blue tinge to the stem though and no real smell to them

Cheers

Photo0662.jpg

Photo0661.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE