The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Okay then Geoff, I expect that this isn't possible to species, but I have this down as Hygrocybe nigrescens, Blackening wax cap. Not conical enough for H. conica. Plausible?

15119068191_10c0b09ef7_b.jpg

Thanks for confirming my opinions above. It makes a nice change. :)

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Okay then Geoff, I expect that this isn't possible to species, but I have this down as Hygrocybe nigrescens, Blackening wax cap. Not conical enough for H. conica. Plausible?

Bloody waxcaps.

The correct latin name of Blackening Waxcap is H. conica. H. nigrescens is an old synonym, not a different species. Or did you mean H. nitrata (Nitrous waxcap)? As for what that is - I suspect it is H. conica, regardless of how conical it is.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Bloody waxcaps.

The correct latin name of Blackening Waxcap is H. conica. H. nigrescens is an old synonym, not a different species. Or did you mean H. nitrata (Nitrous waxcap)? As for what that is - I suspect it is H. conica, regardless of how conical it is.

My out of date book again Geoff. I was comparing to Conical wax cap, but I distrust my book, so I will go with what you said.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
You need the latest Collins guide by Stefan Buczacki.

Ta for that. I hate out of date taxonomy and my old copy of Phillips is now very dated.

As I'm in a good area for waxcaps you will probably see more requests about them from me, so I apologise in advance and understand that they cannot be done reliably from a picture.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
That one is not easy at all. It might be a Cortinarius of some sort. But to be honest I've spent the whole evening trying to identify both my own finds and those posted by people on various sites and I'm pretty mushroomed out - and that one looks like hard work. It's been a very busy start to the mushroom season. :)

Apr 12, 2014
Scotland, Fife
That one is not easy at all. It might be a Cortinarius of some sort. But to be honest I've spent the whole evening trying to identify both my own finds and those posted by people on various sites and I'm pretty mushroomed out - and that one looks like hard work. It's been a very busy start to the mushroom season. :)
Thanks Geoff. That will be why I spent a few hours wracking my brain over it to no avail then, not an easy subject this but the deeper you delve the more interesting it gets. :)

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
found on an anciant stone step...

This isn't helping. No species of fungi grow "on stone". One or two manage to grow on mortar, but not stone. How near was the nearest tree? How deep was the organic material...? How far from the edge of the step was it...? Was there any decaying wood around?

Apr 12, 2014
Scotland, Fife
This isn't helping. No species of fungi grow "on stone". One or two manage to grow on mortar, but not stone. How near was the nearest tree? How deep was the organic material...? How far from the edge of the step was it...? Was there any decaying wood around?
The nearest tree is a large horse chestnut about twelve meters from the steps and opposite them about two meters away is an old victorian timber boathouse which does have some rotten planks. The soil it was growing on was roughly three millimetres deep and it was about five centimetres from the edge of the step.

Sorry for being vague before but I hope you have the info you need now :)

Cheers

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
I bought this the other day on the strngth of your recommendation; brilliant book and hugely better than any pocket guide, but still small enough to use in the field; thanks :)

I've got the hardback (had to buy it when if first came out), which is a bit heavy for use in the field. I might have to buy a copy of the paperback.

Not all the illustrations are brilliant, but it has the major advantage of having pretty much everything you are likely to find in it, at least as a mention in the text and probably a picture. One or two mistakes have crept in though (e.g. the pictures of Xerocomus chrysonemus and chrysenteron are labelled as each other on p397, and the same has happened with Cortinarius mucifluoides and anomalus on p339). Still, it's the best book available for the likes of you and me (i.e. it isn't £200 and does have pictures in!)

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
The nearest tree is a large horse chestnut about twelve meters from the steps and opposite them about two meters away is an old victorian timber boathouse which does have some rotten planks. The soil it was growing on was roughly three millimetres deep and it was about five centimetres from the edge of the step.

Sorry for being vague before but I hope you have the info you need now :)

Cheers

I'm afraid I still have no idea...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE