The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
They look like common ink caps, Coprinus atramentaria

Edible but not within at least 48 hours of drinking alcohol.

Firstly the latin names have all changed. The old genus Coprinus is a fragment of its former self, containing only the shaggy inkcap Coprinus comatus, and a handful of rarities. The family Coprinaceae no longer exists, and Coprinus has been moved to Agaricaceae - it turns out to be a relative of the agaricuses, parasols and puffballs. All of the other members of that genus have been relocated to a different family - Psathyrellaceae - mainly under the two new genera Coprinellus and Coprinopsis.

Secondly, those aren't common inkcaps. They are too small and the wrong colour. They are probably unidentifiable to species from the photo, but I'd guess Coprinellus domesticus - the Firerug Inkcap.

Edibility unknown, but unlikely to be seriously poisonous.

Geoff

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Firstly the latin names have all changed. The old genus Coprinus is a fragment of its former self, containing only the shaggy inkcap Coprinus comatus, and a handful of rarities. The family Coprinaceae no longer exists, and Coprinus has been moved to Agaricaceae - it turns out to be a relative of the agaricuses, parasols and puffballs. All of the other members of that genus have been relocated to a different family - Psathyrellaceae - mainly under the two new genera Coprinellus and Coprinopsis.

Secondly, those aren't common inkcaps. They are too small and the wrong colour. They are probably unidentifiable to species from the photo, but I'd guess Coprinellus domesticus - the Firerug Inkcap.

Edibility unknown, but unlikely to be seriously poisonous.

Geoff

And that. ladies and gentlemen, is the difference between an expert like Geoff, and a dabbler like me. :)

Thanks Geoff.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Thanks for the interesting replies all. They did fall apart at the least touch. Why the no alchohol rule? some kind of reaction?

Some of the ink caps contain a compound very similar ot that used in alcohol-aversion therapy for severe alcoholics. Basically it reacts with alcohol to produce all the symptoms of a severe, nausea inducing hangover (nausea, vomiting, dizziness etc) without the fun bit beforehand. It persists in the system, hence avoidig alcohol for 48 hours either side of consuming these fungi.

I've seen it happen once, and it wan't nice. Luckily, it wasn't me.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Thanks for the interesting replies all. They did fall apart at the least touch. Why the no alchohol rule? some kind of reaction?

I was talking about the previous picture Harvestman posted. Psathyrellas are very brittle. But so are the inkcaps in your garden, which are now known to be closely related to them.

Regarding common inkcaps and alcohol - they contain a compound which prevents the liver from fully breaking down alcohol. This effect is very similar to certain antibiotics that you shouldn't take with alcohol. Not dangerous, but will make you feel pretty horrible.

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
jetudu5u.jpg

9e6ate3y.jpg

varytyme.jpg

Had a little look around for this one and came up with Russula xerampelina, but totally not sure though

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I'm not sure either, but without looking at my books I will go with Brown roll-rim, Paxillus involutus. I will be interested to see what geoff says it really is.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE