The Big Green Gathering

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

archiet

Jan 6, 2005
London
Hi there,

My girlfriend is trying to convince me to go to the Big Green Gathering. Sounds a bit too hippy-ish for my liking and can't imagine what I'll do with myself for 5 days there.

It's in somerset near Cheddar.

I was wondering if people know of any places nearby that are easily accessible for walks etc.. I know cheddar gorge is close but what about nice accessible woodlands etc.

thanks for any help!

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Hi - The BGG is a really good event in its own right. Its not a bushcraft event so don't expect to find all that much.
It is an all green powered event - no generators on site (Exept for the police !!!)
There are losts of interesting crafts going on - green woodwork, wood fired pottery, timber framing, chainsaw sculpture (er not sure how green that is)
There are also a number plant and tree experts there and alot on permaculture and sustainable living. - Some of these folk live permanently in the woods/off the land, so there are lessons to be learned.
There is also lots of tat for sail, you can usually find kelly kettles, knives, axes, billhooks etc (Tools for self reliance -one of my favorates are usually running a forge). Albion canvas are there - they can make pretty much any tent/tarp/teepee/yurt you care for. My woodburner came from "parp industries" who usually have a stand.
So yes - I feel there is alot to be learned.
You can of course just go and enjoy yourself, take in the circus, caberet, groovy movie and dance to bands till dawn.
There has been a massive increase in 12v soundsystems, so no shortage of music.
The green gathering is where i recieved my first lesson in "wildfire" - bow drill nowadays. (before the instructor got scared off by rampant vegetarians for skinning a bunny :( )
There will be lots of lots of hippies. Hippies Sir, thousands of em !
But among them lurk fellow BCUK members, true craftsmen/women and plantlore explerts (Witches ?? :eek: )
Go and enjoy - five days is a bit long, things really kick off friday night, so getting down there thursday evening is a good plan. I am hoping to go just a bit skint ATM :(
Enjoy

Rich

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Roving Rich said:
(Witches ?? :eek: )

Rich

Now, now-witches are merely followers of the Old Religion that biggoted christians of old couldn't barbie... ;)

Can't see how 12 v batteries are very green. Do they know how they get the sulphuric acid? And as for baying mobs attacking their fellows for skinning a bunny defies belief! Are they that narrow minded in their fanatacism? Sounds ok though :)

archiet

Jan 6, 2005
London
thanks for the comments. If I go I have to really go for the 5 days as my girlfriends doing stall there and I can get a lift up.

I couldn't face 5 days of yoga and yoghurt weaving but the craft side of things looks more interesting.

Still, if anyone knows anything nearby (woods etc) that would be really good to know.

Cheers

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Not that much Woodland around, But the Mendips are great walking - Is more Moorland and Heath than forest.
I recommend :
Burrington Combe -
Burrington Combe - Multimap
Park by Ellick far, and walk up Blackdown to the trig point (easiest via middle ellick farm) across and back down into burrington gorge. Or on the North side over to burrington itself.
I recomend you take i good map and compass, its pretty bleak and there are hundreds of paths.
Or
Velvet Bottom
SW a bit Black rock to Ubbley waren - a very strange landscape with weird flora -
and ancient opencast mining at ubbley warren.

Or
Ebbor Gorge

Start at Priddy (good Pub ;) ) and head down through ebbor gorge to arrive at wookey hole. Ebbor gorge is lovely, mossy fern filled woodland gorge, keep an eye out for adders.

I hope that helps

Now if you have any spare tickets for the BGG....... :D

cheers
Rich

archiet

Jan 6, 2005
London
thanks for that.

I'll be going to the gathering. just handy to know that when the tofu-monkeys get too much I might be able to escape. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE