The “Isn't Life Great” thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Vastly reduced braising steak from the shop, parsnips potato and carrots from the garden, an onion from my pantry and a slow cooker, altogether a wonderful tasty supper for the next few days. Can get on with other things and still have a no effort meal when I want it. I do love my slow cooker!
I don't normally eat much meat, but I'm always up for a bargain.
This morning was a golden autumnal morning with the sun shining on the beech trees making the opposite side of the valley look as if it was on fire. Tonight I can hear the stags bolving, owls hooting and a fox screeching away eerily.
All is well, and I'm tucked up in bed with a good book, full belly, and a hot water bottle, all nice and cosy.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I buy all the good foods and drink that Rumpuss-cat and I could want or need. Shopping again tomorrow for the fresh stuff.
Need to, might be -25C by next Sunday. I think we are ready.

Despite always picking the best, my bank account continues to grow! Nice to have the choice about buying this or that, at the end of the day, I haven't spent anything.

A couple of winters ago, I adopted the plan to "Eat The Freezer." As hard as I try, I have yet to see the back of it. I've discovered some frozen foods that I really like to eat (onion rings and spiced curly fries), fresh bags take a lot of space.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
The other morning I wanted a different environment from my office so went to the coast (Gwbert, Nr Cardigan) and sat in the car working on some self improvement stuff, it was lovely.

IMG_0042.jpeg

Then we met up with friends near Chippenham for fireworks... Lots of nostalgia

IMG_0107.jpeg

Jeff Edwards

Jul 9, 2018
West Midlands
After a 3 year wait, covid, heart attacks 2 and cardiac arrests 3, I have had my spinal surgery and can start a slow medically monitored recovery. They get you out of bed really quick then make you continually lie down.
Who knows I may even be able to make the wintet moot.
Missed you guys.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Just sipping the last of a bottle of wine produced at the end of our street in France after a good meal to celebrate my 81st birthday. Grateful to have lived so long in good enough health to have been able to walk round the village with my wife of 60 years without any mobility issues. Too many blessings to count but none of them taken for granted and well aware that many not so fortunate.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Just sipping the last of a bottle of wine produced at the end of our street in France after a good meal to celebrate my 81st birthday. Grateful to have lived so long in good enough health to have been able to walk round the village with my wife of 60 years without any mobility issues. Too many blessings to count but none of them taken for granted and well aware that many not so fortunate.

Congratulations and many happy returns :)

Reactions: oldtimer

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
After a 3 year wait, covid, heart attacks 2 and cardiac arrests 3, I have had my spinal surgery and can start a slow medically monitored recovery. They get you out of bed really quick then make you continually lie down.
Who knows I may even be able to make the wintet moot.
Missed you guys.
Good to hear mate, glad you're on the road to recovery, even if it's slower than you'd like.
Congrats old man!! I hope I live to be there one day! 60 years, I hope to be there as well, we're only on 26 at the moment!

Reactions: Toddy and oldtimer

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Sun is shining, the jackery is charging nicely, and washing is drying on the line. House is almost 20° despite no central heating, and I've made a warming chorizo and tomato stew in the slow cooker for tonight.
The fire is laid ready for later if needed, and I'm packing blue barrels with dated tins for the future.
I've put bubble wrap on my toilet and bathroom windows, and the front and back door glass too, makes a real difference, even on double glazing.
All in all, a fairly normal productive day. ...oh, and I discovered my rohan winter jeans in the bottom of the wardrobe instead of the drawers where I swore I put them, so now I'm ready for the cold weather.

Ira

Sep 15, 2021
Kensington
The other morning I was crossing Putney bridge and noticed there were about twenty to thirty Commorants diving for fish on the downstream side of the bridge, the fast flowing outgoing tide seemed to be bringing Flounder up from the bottom near the bridges pontoons and the birds were taking advantage of the easy pickings by sitting in the calmer water there and having a feast, almost every bird diving was coming up with one of the distinctive flatfish, some of which were quite large.

Reactions: Toddy

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I woke up again.
What a gift
This reminds me of Ted, an old boy who frequented the same local as me when I was barely old enough to be in a pub. He was a veteran of the First World War and regarded every day of his life as a bonus many of his friends never had. He was probably about the same age as I am now when he came in to the pub one day and said," I really thought I was about to die at last during the night, but I didn't, so I'll have a Guiness, please." What a role model.

Reactions: Brizzlebush and Ira

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Today, I made a home made caramel chocolate rice pudding, served with a touch of cinnamon sugar, and fresh blueberries on top.
Sounds like a real mish mash..which it was, but absolutely delicious.
I'm experimenting with different flavoured rice puddings in my slow cooker. I love rice pudding this time of year. Real comfort food.
Had fun playing hide and seek with a pheasant in the garden practicing my stalking round the raised beds.
Silly thing though that if he couldn't see me, he was safe. Nearly caught him with my bare hands a couple of times, but I just wasn't quick enough on the slippery grass. Goodness knows what the neighbours would have thought if they could have seen me!

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I went to one of the HMO’s that I look after to investigate a report of a very blocked loo.
Never the most pleasant of tasks but I quickly removed the whole unit from its position to discover the drain connector seal had flipped at right angles inside the waste pipe thus creating a major obstruction. An interesting mix of items clogging the pipe greeted me:drool:
A quick trip to Travis to collect a replacement fitting resulted in a working receptacle and happy tenants.
I love a proper working WC!:finger:
S

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Had a great swim last night, sea is getting colder but ignoring that we had big swells, rain and lightening across the horizon, there were 5 of us having a laugh, getting bumped by fish and my headlamp stayed on :)
One of those experiences we'll remember and talk about in years to come...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE