The “Isn't Life Great” thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Went to a live concert last night. A harpist called Lily Neill; absolutely brilliant. I've never heard the harp played so creatively - Irish folk, classical, rag time, Scandinavian, and a whole lot more - inspiring. There's nothing like live music to lift the soul :)

If you're interested, look her up, and, if you get the chance, go to see her live!

bearbait

It's been very nice, uplifting even, to get up into the hills and mountains in the snow (mid-Wales) in the last 2 or 3 days and find a decent number of tracks of species that I rarely see up in those places, e.g. Hare, Fox and, I assume, Grouse - including sign of their wings as they land or take off. Ace!

The photo is of, I think Golden Plover (not identified from the sign, I hasten to add, but that they flew off as I got near). It looks like they were meeting in little groups for a natter.IMG_20221211_131042.jpg

Reactions: Kadushu and Broch

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I've realy been a miser with electric. Using my preps instead of the mains, and getting used to living somewhat differently.
It's paid off beautifully. Had my quarterly bill today and I'm actually £234 in credit!
I had paid some up front, about half what I calculated I would normaly use at the old rates
Now I am not worried about using the central heating over this cold snap.
Whoopee!
Gold medal miser!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Went for a walk this evening to look at everybody's Xmas lights.
As I got to a dark bit, with no houses or street lights, I saw a shooting star.
It was so breathtaking, Better than any artificial lights.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Had the fuel tank filled for the oil-fired central heating furnace last week. Shopping for all sorts of good quality food and drink. Very appealing, considering how poor my appetite actually is. I can see +21C on a thermometer counter-height, in the kitchen.

The grocery store bakery is such tasteless crap, I might even have to start to bake my own bread again. For the time being, I'm trying the frozen/refrig dough offerings.

It means all that much more today as the temp has been dropping steadily from noon yesterday. The expected blast of -40C Siberian air is sliding southeast into western Canada today and most of next week. My furnace will be pumping hard to get through this one.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Nothing special, but I'm working from home this morning.
Well, I say 'working' but what I've actually been doing for the last hour or so is sit here in the study, looking out across the back garden and in the trees at the bottom there's been several redwings, a pair of goldcrests, a redpoll, several long tailed tits, some coal tits, and what looked like a greenfinch but I keep trying to con myself if was actually a siskin (but either way it was good to see).
All very nice, because in about an hour I've got leave to go for a work's Christmas lunch, and we all know how awkward, lumpen, and pregnant that can be.

• Haha
Reactions: Toddy and Broch

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
We're not done yet with the cold. House is warm, full of food & drink. It is -20C in my deep freezer downstairs. It is -30C outside my window. My old cat, Rumpuss, was rescued from outdoor conditons like this last year.

Reactions: Toddy and Kadushu

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
At last, our local shop has butterscotch angel delight in, and its on special offer too.
I've only been able to get strawberry(too sweet nowadays) and chocolate, for months.
I've got myself six packets....I'm set for a while now. I love butterscotch flavour, and I never share it. A whole bowl for me...bliss! (Pig, more like it!!)

Reactions: Winnet

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Brunch with a friend in an Alice in wonderland themed tea shop.
It had a woodburner each end , and we managed to get a table next to one of them.
Bacon, egg, beans, fried tomato, and hash brown, with a cuppa, first meal I haven't cooked myself since January 2020. :)
Staff were incredibly nice, even if the prices made my wallet sting!
I may even go back on pensioner day with 20% off next Tuesday.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Found a lovely new hammocking spot today with a cracking view...

52629104623_81cb84ac27_z.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE