The “Isn't Life Great” thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
My best friend is coming home from a six month trip, visiting her relatives in New Zealand this weekend. I've missed her so much, it's been like a missing wheel.
I'm going to be baking a huge chocolate cake to celebrate her return. We both love chocolate cake, It's our secret vice... so shhh, don't tell anyone!

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
For the past couple of weeks or so I've had that cold that's been doing the rounds and taking forever to shift.
But mummy's little soldier is feeling better now, so I went out for a walk on the Downs, and decided to go barefoot...

52652547704_29ac6e83af_z.jpg

'You have a woman's foot! I'll swear those pair of dainties have never had to plug a leaking hole in a boat full of sailors, tossing about on the ocean, as sharks circle about!'

Reactions: Brizzlebush

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
First forage of the year.
A nice little wild side salad of rocket, sorrel tiny garlic and young cleaver shoots. Some good cheese, oatcakes and home made red onion chutney.

Reactions: Brizzlebush

bearbait

Yesterday I came across my first finding, this year, of frogspawn. It was in a very small pool up around 630m (~2,100 feet) in the Black Mountains in the Brecon Beacons NP (U.K.). I came across 3 or 4 more lumps in small pools around 700m a little later in the afternoon. I've been keeping an eye out for them for the last week or two. Make love while the sun shines, must be their motto!

Didn't see any of the wee beasties, though...

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Seatown - So back a bit down the coast. West Bay has the fabulous Station Kitchen however...
Kewl. I’m looking for new places to explore on two wheels, when the weather has warmed a little. The coasts, north and south, are my usual targets for exploration with a nice lunch stop, and I can incorporate a nice countryside hoon at the same time.

Reactions: TeeDee

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have always favoured West Bay, oddly enough. Every inch of the Dorset coast is worth exploring, but I love West Bay.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Returning home from my friend's house the other evening about 7.30pm, I had a wonderful view of the crescent moon and the two planets, one was venus, and I've forgotten what the other was. It was a beautiful sight....got it, jupiter.
A chap was walking his dog, and we started discussing the sight, and he reckoned it was the space station.....which of course is stationary in the night sky isnt it? :) no way would he believe it was two planets He was adamant I was wrong!
I had to give in and agree with his misconception in the end so as not to start an argument, but it gave me giggles all the way home.
I have been able to watch this alignment from my bedroom window the last few nights, and watch the "space station " for hours at a time.

Last edited:

bearbait

For a while I watched the moon, Jupiter and Venus all aligned last night too, from the South Coast (Hastings). It was as the sun was going down and, as the clear blue sky became steadily darker and darker in the west, the moon and the two planets got brighter and brighter. And the other stars started popping out of the firmament too and gradually became noticed. A very crowded sky! Totally brill!

A bit of a Google or Bing search finds some nice pix of the alignment.

Reactions: Woody girl and Tony

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I have been busily knitting a woolen tank top with the wool I got from the charity shop for the past two days, and finished it tonight. Phew! A marathon session, and a record for me, but I must admit it was quick to knit with large needles and fairly thick aran wool, with no fancy stitches.
It fits perfectly, and I'm very happy to have something new to wear, and keep me cosy on spring days when it's too warm for a full sweater, but too cool without something other than a shirt. I think have enough left for a pair of matching short socks.
Crafting my own clothes is very satisfying, especially when it is making use of others unwanted stuff.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Finaly warm and dry enough to reproof the flysheet on my vintage tent,
One raised bed prepared for its top up of soil conditioner and looking neat and tidy again.
Sweetcorn sown into pots, along with several herbs and flowers.
Hanging baskets for the front door planted up with plug plants and undercover to grow on and adorn the front of the house in a few months time.
Decluttering friend delivered a ewebank sweeper that she didn't want, so more electric able to be saved there.
Best bit,
Rescued 4 massive bumble bees from another friends conservatory that had been overwintering and woken up. Now free to raise a brood.

Reactions: Winnet and SaraR

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE