Tatonka Pyramid, A future Bushcraft Classic?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Tent.jpg

Well I tried my Pyramid out again this week.

Very windy spot for camping but I set it up out in the open because I wanted this shot for my website.

I was actually quite surprised how well it stood up to the wind considering there were no guys.

The oddly placed guying points Stuart mentioned are actually loops for tying back the door flaps and no use at all as guy points.

Someone asked about internal pictures so I shot a couple off before it started to get dark. I haven't got it fully set up in these but you can get an idea of the space.

Inside-Tent.jpg

I modified the pole with a small hole drilled through so I can push a skewer through to hold my lantern.

Tent-Pole-Mod.jpg

retrohiker

Jul 2, 2005
Ohio, USA
Love this type of design for a shelter. Simple and effective. How's it compare to a Black Diamond Megamid (or Golite Hex/ShangriLa)? Other than being able to unzip it into two parts, it appears to be about the same size and geometry (maybe a little taller). I've already got numerous tarps for hammock and bivi arrangements so that feature isn't too important to me.
I've come to prefer floorless shelters since I don't have to worry about muddy boots and such - also the ability to cook without worrying about a nylon floor! The ease of putting it up in a driving rain puts it over the top in my opinion.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've come to prefer floorless shelters since I don't have to worry about muddy boots and such - also the ability to cook without worrying about a nylon floor! The ease of putting it up in a driving rain puts it over the top in my opinion.

I agree on the floorless advantages.

As to the rain pitching, how is to take down in adverse condtions? Me and my SO once had to do take the Tentipi 5 down in a strong wind: I released the tensioning straps until it fell over, at which point she dove down on top of it...

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I had to take it down in high wind before dawn and with a 200 -300' drop about 20 yards down wind I was a little concerned.

I dropped the pole first so it was still fully guyed out, zipped up the door and chucked my bergen on top.

It wasn't going anywhere after that so I could just pull out the pegs, clip the top loop to the bergen and then lift the pack to let the tent stream out in the wind.

All I had to do then was roll it up from bottom to top, unclip it and put it back in the dry bag.

The pole is easy enough once you get used to the Russian doll thing.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I had to take it down in high wind before dawn and with a 200 -300' drop about 20 yards down wind I was a little concerned.

Ok, worked ok with SOP then. Was it windy enough that you needed rocks on the bottom of the tent? I once had to go out in an early fall mountain blizzard at 2 AM and look for rocks (in order to keep a tentipi 5 from lifting from the ground). Follow the strong natural lines, remember which is front and back, do not randomly walk around the terrain. I might have died if I had lost track of the tent, since it was wet snow and high winds; in sleeping bags with bivys we would have made it ok if the tent had "Gone With the Wind", but with just clothes it would have been iffy.

The pole is easy enough once you get used to the Russian doll thing.

Ahh that kind. Haven't seen them since 70-80's era Fjällräven tents (I should have picked up one of their pyramids a decade ago when I could have snapped up one cheaply). I much prefer the "nunchak style" poles, having battled the stovepipe for various Swedish army tents under "light dicipline" at -40 C.

Question: are you concerned about weakening the pole by drilling the hole? I've been thinking about friction lock style stuff to do the same duty with no damage to the pole.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Its not mine, I wouldn't sell mine at any price!

The quoted prices for 'new' are far higher than I paid, and the pole is different, mine nest inside one another, below.

31c58WMGaFL._AA280_.jpg

LM J

Nomad
Nov 26, 2008
Cumbria
I'd be interested in something like your Mountain Laurel pentagon, Lamper. I had a Golite tipi hexagon that I found that little bit to claustrophobic of a morning.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
I'd be interested in something like your Mountain Laurel pentagon, Lamper. I had a Golite tipi hexagon that I found that little bit to claustrophobic of a morning.

Its apparently a little low, but there are some videos and stuff about....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIxFHdl6Rds - walk around video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZJtZYrCl5I - pitched in Cairngorm National Park
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK00oHVGxxY - Pitching Video

Reviews
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi...ums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=18548
http://kenknight.posterous.com/i-thought-id-share-a-few-more-photos-of-my-ne

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE