Tatonka Pyramid, A future Bushcraft Classic?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
This is a 'first impressions' reveiw of the new 'Pyramid Tarp' sent to us by Tatonka, it was written for the news section of the front page but some technical problems are preventing it from going up for the time being.

Tatonka Pyramid, A future Bushcraft Classic?

Tatonka a company already renowned for producing exceptionally high quality tarps, has a new model which has the potential to become a future bushcraft classic…. the Pyramid Tarp.

P1010414.jpg

It’s actually two large diamond shaped tarps that zip together to create a very stable pyramid tent, its design allows for a great deal of functionality.

As a tent you can either cut a single pole to erect the pyramid or suspend the apex from a tree limb using the hanging loop at the top, which provides maximum interior space. Tatonka also sells an optional 180cm aluminum pole which neatly packs within itself like a Russian doll to form a compact 45cm tube.

It’s very spacious inside with a 220cm x 220cm floor and an apex 180cm high, so it can sleep up to 3 people with kit and provided you do so one at a time, you can get dressed standing up.

If you just need a tarp or your hammocking, the pyramid unzips down the center to form 2 separate ‘off center diamond’ shape tarps each of which are 220cm x 220cm (that’s 370cm of ‘point to point’ ridge line coverage) which is just large enough to keep the rain out of your hammock.

P1010421.jpg

Negative points:

• The little Velcro tabs that secure the double flaps which cover the zips are a little inadequate; in persistent driving rain the first flap blows open and tends to let in a little water.

• The pyramid tent has seven guy line points (orange guys lines supplied), but they are in nonsensical positions. Any attempt to attach taught lines to them pulls the pyramid into a weird and untidy asymmetrical shape; drum tight in some places whilst sagging and flapping in others. It’s a bit of a moot point though really, as we found that using all the 12 pegging out points around the skirt in good soil, the pyramid remains stable even in extremely high winds, which makes the guy lines fairly redundant.

• Unfortunately one of the two tarps has a triangular window in the side, which is a nice feature in the tent but makes it unsuitable for use horizontally over a hammock etc, it still functions well as an open front ‘half pyramid’ for sleeping in front of a fire, where the window behind may help keep the smoke at bay (it has a little awning you can leave it open without letting in rain). Personally we feel that it would more functional without the window.

Positive points:

• German Build quality, over built with lots of reinforced stitching, it’s sure to last.

• A very adaptable design, which performs multiple roles in a wide variety of environments.

• No fewer than 16 tension point loops for peg and guy line attachment, plus 6 steel eyelets in the corners.

• Built from 185T polyester polyurethane and Supplied with 8 high quality pegs and 5 orange guy lines.

• Lots of floor space inside, enough headroom to stand up in the middle if your not more than 5’ 10”

• Very quick and simple to erect as a pyramid tent

• Weight with bag, pegs and guy lines, 1.5kg

• The Price……… £70

• Tatonka also make an optional 180cm pole for the pyramid tarp for £20 and a waterproof floor which buttons into the pyramid tarp for £40

Summery
A few small problems such as the window and the guy line positions, but very good design overall. A German built do-it-all shelter for £70, you can’t really go wrong.

P1010422.jpg

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Now this looks/sounds right interesting! And for a great blummin price too!:) I look forward to a full test/review of this piece of kit!

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Thanks for posting that review. I've looked at these a few time online now and wondered what I've been missing as to why they are not already widely used. Though not been brave enough to pay out quite that much to find out if I have or not.

In your second picture, is that the 2 bottom sides of the pyramid facing the camera?

If so wouldn't it be possible to zip the windowed section onto the far sides to create a larger windbreak from that direction? Albeit with the window in.

Also if that's possible it should also be possible to then tie cords through the pegging points on the bottom edges ( of the zip attached second half ), run them under the hammock and through the corresponding peg holes on the opposite side, then draw the whole thing closed underneath from inside the hammock. Creating a nice coccoon from even horizontal rain or changesome wind directions.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
:confused: Sorry Glen, I'm having real trouble visualising what your asking

In your second picture, is that the 2 bottom sides of the pyramid facing the camera?

Um, well as I look at the image, only one of the four sides of the pyramid is facing the camera.

There is really only one side of a pyramid which I would describe as 'the bottom', which would be the square side at its base:

240px-Pyramid.svg.png

In the first image, the dark grey flap you can see running up the left hand edge to the apex covers the zip, a second covered zip runs along the opposing edge (with cannot be seen in the image) these zips converge at the apex.

Each tarp forms 2 of the sides of the pyramid, the floor which is a separate item forms the base.

If the sides of the pyramid were aligned with the cardinal points, with the logo side (the side facing the camera in the image) facing north, then:

Tarp one (with logo) would form the North and West faces

Tarp two (with the window) would form the South and East faces

If so wouldn't it be possible to zip the windowed section onto the far sides to create a larger windbreak from that direction? Albeit with the window in.

Don’t really understand this bit, all sides (except for the base) of the pyramid are equal, the side with the window is attached in the image you refer to, but the window is facing in the opposite direction to the camera.

this image from globetrotter might make things clearer:
ms_1570111a.jpg

Also if that's possible it should also be possible to then tie cords through the pegging points on the bottom edges ( of the zip attached second half ), run them under the hammock and through the corresponding peg holes on the opposite side, then draw the whole thing closed underneath from inside the hammock. Creating a nice coccoon from even horizontal rain or changesome wind directions

Possibly, I'm not sure it would work so well in practice, worth and experiment though.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
:confused: Sorry Glen, I'm having real trouble visualising what your asking

Possible because I was presuming it was pitched rotated 90 degrees to the way it actually is?

Whereas from your reply it looks, to me now, that your using from ( when pitched as a pyramid what then would be ) the apex, on the left, to ( what would be ) the centre of the sides that attached to the base, as the ridge line. eg its symmetrical about ridge with one panel either side, I was thinking it was pitched with one panel either sides of the pegged out points with the apex furthest away from the camera.

So configured that way if you attached the second half it would enclose both sides of the head, or foot, end of the hammock, that has interesting possibilities too.

The way I was presuming it was hung, so as to use the other 2 corners as the ridge line points, which would give both zippered sections on one side of the ridgeline, hence then thinking of using the other panel there as an extra windbreak on one side. Though like that it would either be very fiddly setup to keep it the extra section taught or possibly have to come back under the tarp

There is really only one side of a pyramid which I would describe as 'the bottom', which would be the square side at its base:

I was taking any of the sides that would normally connect to the base as the bottom connecting ) edges, of the separated tarps. ie not the ones that normally run up to the apex.

Hope I've not confused everyone too much ;)

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Ah I see what you mean now, sorry Glen, my mistake.

for some reason when you refered to 'the second picture', I was still visualising the first image :11doh:

yes the two edges of the tarp facing the camera form the two of the perimeter edges of the pyramid when the other tarp is attached, the zipped edges are on the opposite side.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've just managed to get one of these after ringing round for a while.

It turns out that Tatonka have stopped making them which has surprised all the retailers, as they have had nothing but happy customers with them.

Well I've just bought the last one that "Up and Under" had in stock so if you've been putting off getting one of these you'd better start ringing round now.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
correct me if i am wrong, but does the army not already have something like this already? used mainly in the artic with small squads?? or am i thinking of a diamond shape?:confused:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I don't know, I haven't come across those so I can't say.

I wanted this as a light use anywhere option.

I've had a couple of occasions lately where there hasn't even been a fence or a wall to set up a tarp with so this looked good as a stand alone with the extra of being tarp-able.

correct me if i am wrong, but does the army not already have something like this already? used mainly in the artic with small squads?? or am i thinking of a diamond shape?:confused:

As far as I'm aware they did use these up until the late 70's. The americans used them as well. They were individual tent sheets that combined to make various sized shelters. Latterly single man goretex hooped bivi's, 4 man hooped tents (based on commercial models) and insulated larger tents all replaced the tent sheets.

Trenches were dug in the snow and the tents erected inside and cammo nets then covered the trenches...

I think the modern equivelent of the zeltbahn would be the Norwegian insulated cammo blanket that can be combined with another to make a tunnel tent, it was reviewed on here a while back but all went quiet.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Sorry for going off topic just answering zelt issues. Ive seen zeltbahn's used at reenactment camps ive had a couple myself(you need 4 for a tent) they work very well, and are made of a cotton canvas material, the down side of the old military zelts is you needed to put a helmet on the top where the centre pole came through to stop the rain getting in, ive still got a 50's dated one but i use it as a poncho.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London

I think the modern equivelent of the zeltbahn would be the Norwegian insulated cammo blanket that can be combined with another to make a tunnel tent, it was reviewed on here a while back but all went quiet.

Sounds like the Jerven Multimate https://jerven-com.secure.flexiweb.no/page/7366/

Fancied one of those even more but not found a reason to justify the not inconsiderable expense.

Edit : Anybody recognise this chap?
https://jerven-com.secure.flexiweb..../Image/Produktbilder/cache/254886_183_137.jpg

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Well I've just bought the last one that "Up and Under" had in stock so if you've been putting off getting one of these you'd better start ringing round now.

Thanks for letting us know, I've never quite been able to dismiss the wrap round idea above so I've just put a last chance order in from the GenuineArmySurplus website, whether they actually have them in stock remains to be seen.

I figure for a tent base I can rip the bottom out of a £5 two man dome tent I have lying around doing nothing. It's about 2mX2m but I'm not too bothered about fixing it to the Pyramid as I'll probably add an Ikea mosquito net at some point and tuck that under the base to seal it.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
.....Well I've just bought the last one that "Up and Under" had in stock so if you've been putting off getting one of these you'd better start ringing round now.

Thank you Wayland,

I'd never seen these before, and after reading up, saw that it is quite unique and versatile, so bought the Tarp Pyramid, Groundsheet and Pole.

Had it not been for your 'heads up' I would have never have known of this kit, or would have found out about it after they'd all been sold.

Hmmm! A folding woodstove similar to the Kifaru Para Stove would be perfect, making it the Pyromid! (o:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Glad to be of service. :D

I'd filed the idea away in the dusty recesses of the lump I use for a memory until I saw SimonM's Laavu light at a recent meet.

Didn't like the price of the Laavu Light but remembered this was about the same size.

Tried Lurch then Tamarack and they gave me the bad news. I'm just glad I didn't wait any longer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE