Take care what you post in the mail

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Some countries use prison labor legitimately such as using products from the prison system's work programs and vocational education. Or to produce item's that the prison system needs to sustain itself (the Florida prison system uses inmate industries to produce the inmates' uniforms and an inmate farm system to supplement their diet)

Other countries view their prisons as free slave labor to be exploited.

I suspect the regulations prohibitting their carriage is so that GB doesn't inadvertantly participate in the latter. That said, it makes it illegal for us here to send you most surplus military uniforms as the issue uniforms are produced by Federal Prison Industries (as were the older military furniture items)

Not to be confused with authorized optional uniform items that are considerred upgrades and are authorized for military members' private purchace.

Really good point - one I never considered. Too many meetings at work today or perhaps I'd have thought of it.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Really good point - one I never considered. Too many meetings at work today or perhaps I'd have thought of it.

As far as I know the UK does not use prisoners as labour in post offices! Nor do I think the regs are about stopping us supporting regimes that do. We are very careful about weapons here but the idea of calling an axe a weapon just shows (to me anyway) how far away most folk are from "living naturally".
I heartily agree about the baseball bat and bicycle chain ... perhaps we should suggest these go on the list ??? :joke: I

And how is amazon going to cope? It sells Gransfors etc :confused::confused::confused:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
As far as I know the UK does not use prisoners as labour in post offices! Nor do I think the regs are about stopping us supporting regimes that do.....

They actually are likely about not supporting regimes that use prison labor as slave labor and thus unfairly compete with UK made goods (perhaps backbacks made with zero labor costs being cheaper than a UK made backback made by unionized labor?) Probably not backpacks as such but they make a good example.

That would violate both fair labor practices AND fair trade practices as well as being inhumane.

Last edited:

DaveWL

Forager
Mar 13, 2011
Cheshire, UK
I remember a time, not so very long ago, when you could send a rabbit through the post, as long as it had an address label attached by string around its neck... no other wrapping required.

I'd love to see my postie trying to force one through the letter boxes round here :)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Every time I hear about RM and their legislation I cant help but feel they are nailing their own coffin shut.
Recently I was told they would no longer accept my bows for postage as they were too long. Had been sending them with the PO for years mind.
Tried a few months back to send a carving knife, was told no knives at all. I asked about kitchen knives and they were "different"
They have draconian delivery regulations regarding leaving packages. Not the posties fault they have to stick to the rules or get sacked.
With the way we can now see our bills online rather than by post, our packages delivered on-time with a delivery window as standard from other companies I can see the end of RM which is sad. They have failed to keep up with the times and are bleeding out because of it. Its a shame it really is..

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
http://www.interparcel.com/?gclid=CL-GoI626LQCFSHHtAodCGIArQ Book online, print off the bar code, stick on your parcel and wait for your doorbell to ring and they pick your item up. I've had stoves picked up Monday and they were in New Jersey on Wednesday morning, stoves to Japan in four days etc so sod RM.

I have been using Interparcel for a good few years now to send expensive fishing rods all over the UK.
The prices are very good and the service is excellent.
Just book them and package your gear and await collection.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
The Post Office also appears to make things up as it goes along, for instance, late last year i bought myself a new tarp, only a small one to go in the bag when we go out on bimbles, but when it arrived it was a piece of junk and not as advertised at all, so i got in touch with the retailer and arranged to send it back for a refund, now it came to me in one of the heavy plastic pouches that people like DHL, Fedex etc use and had a postage label on from the Post Office that clearly stated 2PK, i.e. 2nd class post, packet.

Fortunately, when i opened the packet originally, it opened in such a away that i could reuse it, so i packaged it all up and took it down the Post Office only to be told i couldn't send it second class as it was too heavy and therefore i had to send it first class, at a considerable extra cost, my question to the chap behind the counter of "it came second class, so why cant i send it back second class?, was rebuked and i was basically told, either pay for 1st class or leave as you are holding the queue up, i begrudgingly paid up and left.

The Post Office is it's own worst enemy at times

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
The Post Office also appears to make things up as it goes along, for instance, late last year i bought myself a new tarp, only a small one to go in the bag when we go out on bimbles, but when it arrived it was a piece of junk and not as advertised at all, so i got in touch with the retailer and arranged to send it back for a refund, now it came to me in one of the heavy plastic pouches that people like DHL, Fedex etc use and had a postage label on from the Post Office that clearly stated 2PK, i.e. 2nd class post, packet.

Fortunately, when i opened the packet originally, it opened in such a away that i could reuse it, so i packaged it all up and took it down the Post Office only to be told i couldn't send it second class as it was too heavy and therefore i had to send it first class, at a considerable extra cost, my question to the chap behind the counter of "it came second class, so why cant i send it back second class?, was rebuked and i was basically told, either pay for 1st class or leave as you are holding the queue up, i begrudgingly paid up and left.

The Post Office is it's own worst enemy at times

I've sent very heavy things second class. Very odd.

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
"The Post Office" and "Royal Mail" are of course NOT the same company ...... One is selling, amongst other related and unrelated products, the services actually provided by the other (and others).

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I've tried to open that link 3 times and it's crashed my computor every time!

Sorry about that, the linked site tries to run several trackers...

pMYWh.jpg

...Perhaps that is the problem? Here is the photo and blurb.

WGq6p.jpg

“After parcel post service was introduced, at least two children were sent by the service. With stamps attached to their clothing, the children rode with railway and city carriers to their destination. The Postmaster General quickly issued a regulation forbidding the sending of children in the mail after hearing of those examples.”
- Smithsonian

:)

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Those lists make for some amusing reading. You are, for example, not allowed to post goods made in foreign prisons. What's that about?
Is not a fair bit of USA military kit made (or was it made ) in prisons? I seem to recal that helmets and buckle stampings were made in US prisons...
That could make it hard to post army surplus gear!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE