Take care what you post in the mail

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
According to the link below , a hell of a lot of goods - including a lot of military items - are made in US prisons!

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2008/07/what-do-prisoners-make-victorias-secret

The Washington State prison system is one I have no knowledge of. Those references may or may not be true.

However the federal prison system only allows goods from the FPI (Federal Prison Industries) to be sold/distributed either back to the prison for use or to other government agencies. Products include anything from furniture to military uniforms to office furniture. Any profits go back into the cost of incarceration. Basically the inmates are working to pay their own costs and getting a small subsidy.

Some jails take another approach (jails being short time incarceration don't really have an industriy as such to pay their costs) Rather whaen I worked at the county jail, we charged the inmates for their incarceration. There was a $10 booking fee and a $3 per day incarceration fee. The money was deducted from whatever money they had at the time of booking and from any subsequent deposits into their inmate accounts. Obviously they weren't required to make any more deposits but if they didn't, they would be unable to make purchaces from the canteen (most inmates spend around $60 per month in the canteens)

The " ...pennies on the dollar" amount the article quotes as the inmates pay is misleading. They are allowed to take college and university course in their off duty time and being incarcerated (and legally considerred unemployed with zero income) makes them eligble for tution grants and waivers worth thousands per month.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Er you might want to look at where a lot of call centers are based in the US they have the same address as the prison they are in, the prison industry is just that you get locked up and are offered work for buttons or rewards within the prison.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Having successfully sent the GB SFA to Buckshot , I'm now going to try an Elwell axe which is quite a bit heftier.
May take it to a different PO though and lie about the contents! :pirate:
Let you know how I get on when it sells.
Cheers , Simon

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Having successfully sent the GB SFA to Buckshot , I'm now going to try an Elwell axe which is quite a bit heftier.
May take it to a different PO though and lie about the contents! :pirate:
Let you know how I get on when it sells.
Cheers , Simon

That's okay, my English teacher used to tell us, you can lie all you want, as long as it's in perfectly correct English:)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Er you might want to look at where a lot of call centers are based in the US they have the same address as the prison they are in, the prison industry is just that you get locked up and are offered work for buttons or rewards within the prison.

Call centers? Every time I ring a call center I get a voice that barely speaks english. Most are in India.

Inmates aren't offered work in the prisons (at least none of the prisons where I worked) They're assigned work after they've been classified according to risk. They can request certain work assignments if they're particularly suited to those assignments.

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
I had this about a year or so ago....the lady behind the counter asking 'whats in the package',i'd never been asked before!it was a knife well packaged going overseas but acted quickly saying it was a tool.The po in question wasn't my local one .

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Call centers? Every time I ring a call center I get a voice that barely speaks english. Most are in India.

Inmates aren't offered work in the prisons (at least none of the prisons where I worked) They're assigned work after they've been classified according to risk. They can request certain work assignments if they're particularly suited to those assignments.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/aug/08/prisoners-call-centre-fired-staff
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...-industry-of-inmate-staffed-call-centers?lite

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

I don't know about the first link as it deals with UK prisons and businesses with which I have no knowledge.

But the second link is unlikely for the reason I already gave. All our industries (the commercial industies not the prisons) have outsourced their call centers oveseas to Asia (primarily India) It's far cheaper there than anywhere here (including prisons) would be. Add to that the fact that most states have laws preventing such a plan that would take employment (jobs) from the civilian workforce to benefit a private company. The public outrage on that alone would be enormous.

Also there's no US prison that would consider giving any inmate access to a phone like that. They're far to coniving to be trusted.

However! Make no mistake that there is corruption within the system. I don't want to hijack the thread further than we have but if you're interested, PM me and I'll give you some war stories: documented ones where the officials responsible were prosecuted and change their correctional uniform for inmate uniforms after the trial.

Last edited:

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Sandy over at Jacklore has managed to clarify the situation. He has posted a couple of You tube vids of his experiences.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE