Swedish Snow Smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Ive got a few both button full front and the smock type i find the smock type smaller than the button front ones,the three smock ones i have two are same size one defo smaller,though i find all of them a bit snug on the shoulders if i have a few light layers underneath.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I used to prefer the smock type, but recently i have swayed over to full button, reasons, the smock type heavier material,tighter fit(well to me) harder to get on and off,feels more restrictive, were as the full button(bit of pain to remove all buttons when your modding) but after is lighter material but still tough,more comfy, same size pockets/hood,packs smaller,still was wind proof all my personnel opinions. oh and i only open a couple of buttons and pull it over my head,but its does seem to come on and off easier probably down to fabric weight.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
just finished (mostly) pimping my smock. dyed, cut down to size, added full buttons of antler, and added reindeer leather trim and cuffs.

20120701151655.jpg

By wanderingpict at 2012-07-01
20120701151742.jpg

20120701151818.jpg

20120701151852.jpg

20120701151904.jpg

20120701151916.jpg

20120701151928.jpg

20120701152015.jpg

kato

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2006
NW England
Great job on the smock dreadhead :)
I have a couple of these smocks I've dyed one burgundy and added leather cord and toggles to the hood.
I wonder if they will wax well?

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Great mod's Dreadhead, here was me moaning about changing the button's,that's some sewing youve done! Kato ive waxed a few of mine with the Fjallhaven wax block,takes ok but does stiffen then up some what.

Dreadhead

cheers guys im lovin it. i reckon ill end up going for the fjallraven greenland wax too at somepoint however its holding up in the rain just fine so far so a couple of weeks of testing before i wax it so i can see the difference :)

Dreadhead

i could send you the drawcord that came with mine if you like. and then all you would have to do is take a long peice of material say 2 inches wide and sew it around the inside or outside however you want to do it so it creates a long pocket/sleeve. leave two openings at the front and thread the cord through should be a simple job. let me know if you want the proper drawcord

martsim73

Jul 30, 2012
Wimborne, Dorset
I know this was posted a long time ago Pignut, but is there any chance you could take a quick photo of the extended cuffs as this is a mod I need to do but don't know how/where to start. Although I ordered a xl sized smock I find the arms a little short and the cuffs ridiculously tight.

Many thanks.... A great thread!

Martin :)

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nice work Dreadhead! I have two of the smock style ones, pretty much brand new. One is sized "medium troll", and while the sleeves are long enought to fit a gibbon the cuffs are tight. My plan is to simply cut the sleeves down to non-simian proportions and add tabs, almost certainly button. And then add a front chest pocket (probably the "Snowwalker" style) and a fur ruff. New buttons -- duffle style since that works best with mittens -- is a must as well, and probably hood size adjustment cords.

The other one may end up dyed OG and used as a summer anorak. Again chest pocket, new buttons, and sane cuffs somehow. Greenland wax.

Dreadhead

awesome i look forward to seeing those! i know what you mean about the cuffs thats why i cut them off and took out the pleats then sewd on huuuge leather cuffs for wearing big mitts. and with a retention strap to keep them tight when not wearing gloves. it works for me

martsim73

Jul 30, 2012
Wimborne, Dorset
I'm worried though that if I cut the cuffs off, my sleeves will be halfway up my forearms. I'm quite broad with a 52" chest but my arms aren't long as others might suggest in relation to the arms of their smocks. I might need to get another smock just to cut up for material to add to the current smock.

The largest I can find (smock that is!) is an xl... Which apparently is what I have. I could do with a XXL really in the pull on smock style. Does anyone know of a stockist for this XXL size? Do they exist at this size?

I've worn it often in its present guise with the cuffs open, and love it.... What would the cost be to get something in the same style to be made in ventile with slightly wider shoulders and cuffs? Could this be a project for someone in the textiles knowhow??? With their obvious popularity on here, is this a design to be developed with our attached mods and a batch produced professionally? Is this even viable or am I just day dreaming?

Your thoughts, help and discussion would be most welcome... :D

Martin

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Just to revive an old thread instead of starting a new one.

This my second smock I've modded. It started life as the overhead version, but I didn't like that so I added a zip, added a wind flap to cover the zip, put poppers on the flap, changed the buttons, and added a tab with a button hole for the cuff. Then I dyed it, but its not what I envisioned; I had used dylon, antique grey, to try and get a Return of the Jedi thing going on, but its come out a washy greeny/bluey colour. I will re-think that before waterproofing it.

Snow Smock with zip.jpgSnow Smock.jpgSAM_0167.jpgSAM_0166.jpgSAM_0165.jpgSAM_0164.jpg

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I dyed it, but its not what I envisioned; I had used dylon, antique grey,

How many sachets did you use? I've dyed a smock with the antique grey (two for mine) and it was a lot darker than yours, so if you used a single sachet it might be worth over-dying it with a second. I take it that the last two shots are the same but with one under natural and the other under artificial light?

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
The shots were taken in the same room, the bulbs had warmed a bit more and I changed sides. I wanted just a hint of a greeny grey colour, and used one sachet, but put in a wool blanket as well to add bulk to help lighten the dye when it took. I had visons of this

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE