Swedish Snow Smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RobvG

Sep 16, 2011
Eindhoven
I've just bought one of these from a local army surplus, it was already dyed green. It cost me £25 which i didn't mind paying as it was already dyed. They had a few in so if anyones interested send me a few measurements and i can pop in and see what they've got.....and of course you pay the postage.

Well if you could, please! It's the over the head type right? If you could see if they got it in M (without so many bloody holes) I'd be chuffed!

I forgot about this thread. I have my fur ruff now thanks to pignut. :) I have yet to attach it but been looking at ways of doing so. If it is detachable it would make the smock easier to wash. But it wouldn't look as nice sitting on the hood, I could do popper buttons as Pignut suggests.

Anyone else attached a ruff?

I fidn the smock too big to use as a general daily smock, even with the small size. Portable tent!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Has anyone found a good supplier of these in reasonable condition?? Also looking for the matching trousers?

Which suppliers have you guys had good service with?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'm looking for an XXL Version of this if anyone knows where i can get onr please??

The XL is just a wee tad to tight.

England Ram

Tenderfoot
Dec 5, 2011
Derby
Just finished my full frontal button up one.
cost £15 from ebay.
Dyed in black (£5) , took off all the buttons and pull cords before I dyed it. Sewed on large black buttons(£2) and replaced the pull cords with black parra cord(£3). just waiting for some pull toggles(£2) for the cords and I wil be set. Total outlay of £27, not bad.

Waterproofing I will use fabsil, I know someone else who has one and they used fabsil and it works fantastic. I will be using it on my dutch polycotton smock as well.

Mine was enormous, even after a boil wash, even too big with all under layers on etc, so I took it in by about 6 inches at the back and it fits perfect. Probably went from an xxxxL to an XL which being a 38/40" chest is spot on with underlayers.
Taking it in was much easier than I thought, just followed the rear crease and pinned it where I wanted it, tried it on a few times adjusting to fit, then did a running stich up the back, misssing out the pull cord bit, then sewed the flap of material over at the bottom so it lays flat against my back.

I dont know how to post pictures on here, once I know how Ill post some.

Simon1

Nomad
Nov 17, 2005
Maidstone area in kent
Hi All,
Thought i'd post some more photos of my smock, since i've done some more mods!!!! I got my good old mum to put a draw cord in the middle, I have made some antler buttons, which I thought looked pretty good, and I have put a faux fur coller around the hood!!!! Hope you enjoy the photos!!!!
IMGP3950.jpg

IMGP3952.jpg
IMGP3953.jpg

IMGP3954.jpg

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
i ordered a size small and it arrived today. really didnt plan on it being this size! its 28" or 70cm pit to pit.anyone got a small and confirm this is definitly the smallest size? tis 3 times the size of me!

once iv got it dyed im thinking of cutting it down to size any tips? was thinking of cutting it down the centre, taking a few inches off each side then adding leather seams down each edge to make it a full button up smock. and then would probably need to cut some out the back too. the hood may prove a problem... blaah textiles aint really my thing. just wanted to confirm the size before i get the dye and scissors out!

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
Hi Hamish,
Don't need one of these, but quite fancy one.
Not sure what 70cm pit to pit actually looks like tho'
What size are you mate?
Height, Weight, Chest etc...
A pic, wearing would also be great..

Cheers
Chris

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Hey Chris measure a top that fits pit to pit should give you an idea. im usually a 34" chest so usually go for small or medium sizes but i swear this thing is like an XL. heres a couple of pictures to show you how wide it comes out. id say im short around 5'7ish?

20120531163911.jpg

By wanderingpict at 2012-05-31
20120531163859.jpg

By wanderingpict at 2012-05-31

dont suppose somebody with a medium could measure theirs pit to pit? just want to make sure this is definitly a small before cutting it up!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE