Suffolk Bushcraft Group Daniel Boone Challenge 20th and 21st September 2013

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
What would Daniel Boone have done if it was raining all day?
I believe that if he didn't really need to do something he would sit under his tarp and mend or whittle something..

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
What would Daniel Boone have done if it was raining all day?
I believe that if he didn't really need to do something he would sit under his tarp and mend or whittle something..

Yep I would of thought so.... some may find it hard unless they have the trapings of modern life

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Well I think I am there...

DSC_0145.jpg

1. Tarp, Bed Roll, extra Blanket.
2. Small Billy
3. Enamel Mug
4. Tin for cooking
5. Wooden Spoon
6. Haversack
7. Svord Peasant Knife
8. Seath Knife
9. Tomahawk
10. Scafe and Wooly Hat
11. Water Bottle
12. Tinder Bag
13.Food Quiver
14. Candle Lantern/spare candles/tapers..
15. Spice Box
16, First Aid kit and Hand Gel
17, Possibilitys bag
18. Pipe
19. Head Torch for Emergency's
20 Ridge Line.

Now just got to get it all in the haversack and the pouches... :)

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
A hell of a lot will be learned on this challenge, best ways to carry kit, whats needed, whats not. Backpack, haversack, bedroll, Hudson bay pack. It looks like everyone has different ideas and that is a good thing. We will be able to discuss the pros and cons of the types of carry and kit. The idea of relearning these relatively lost techniques, really appeals to me.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Yeah I am beginning to think that as well, and wondering about, I am wondering about keeping the group together rather then splitting them now... what do you guys think,

Still using the two woods tho

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
It's only a small group, 6 or 7. Will each challenger be responsible for their own small cook fire, or should there be just one group cook fire. Personally I like the idea of one group and one fire. Simply for less scarring, but this may not be possible, with everyone trying to cook their own meals. Another thing to learn from, the logistics of group/individual fires, space for tarps, etc.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
We can decide on the Friday when we meet, I have to say what I have learnt/refound, since looking into the Boonie thing has really griped me and find it very interesting, so being able to talk about skills and ideas and passing it on an practicing them sounds fun to me :)

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Looks like there will be plenty of jawing around the fire then.:) And I really need to get my fire skills up. Maybe one group would be better for this one then, as we will all be able to see and comment how things are done. Sam wants to try my bow drill set, and I'm no expert at it. Any one can have a go if they like.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
lets see what the others say, its going to be an interesting weekend :), I must admit my Bow drill is not well practiced at all, I tend to use flint and steel all the time now...

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
I had a bit of a test pack last night.

Bed roll is Czech bed roll with extra double wool blanket in there which is folded up like a sleep mat in the base for now. This then has the twin German poncho tarps wrapped round. Looks pretty much as Stu's pic. Not small but smaller than its first outing when I used a CCF mat which made it even bigger. I do have line and pegs to put in.

I have belt with knife, possibles pouch and first aid kit.

US canteen water bottle

Pack so far is as follows (from memory :) )
Small buck saw
Candle lantern with spare couple on candles
Pouch with toothbrush and soap, bandana as towel, plus knife oil and cleaning cloth.
Leather gloves for fire
Brew kit - I still need to add some condensed milk (not boone but want to try it) as well as milk powder.
Trail bread
Bar of chocolate for snacks and boiled chocolate
Bag with a few veg and stock cubes
Pouch with bannock mix, cornmeal, sugar, almonds, dried cranberries, dried peaches, jerky
Tinder pouch
Spoon
Swedish kuksa
Swedish mess tin
Bacon joint and soaked beans to add

Cannot think what else :)
But comments welcome

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
I've tried bow drill once and got smoke but no ember.

Flint and steel is my preferred, but I need to practice the bow :)

For the challenge groups seems easiest. But for the social gathering one group would be nice. So I'm torn I have to say.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE