Suffolk Bushcraft Group Daniel Boone Challenge 20th and 21st September 2013

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Have been wondering about that. Got butter beans and yellow split peas to play with but its the overnight soak???

Been playing with cornmeal too. Cornmeal porridge I quite like. Had a crack at johnny cakes but the corse grain I have leaves these a little gritty. Will pick up some finer stuff and try again.

What did you use to cook with? Pots and pans wise

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I just soaked mine during the day, boiled for about an 1 hr, and had no problems, I took one small billy and lid, but could of done with an extra smaller one, I did cook the Pancakes on the griddle, that I use at the Meet, but will prob get a small pan for the challenge.

I used medium corn meal, and that was ok, will be trying more corn meal things, the pop corn was interesting tho.. and took the granulated molasses, so did not need a tin or bottle

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Liking the idea of a small pan/skillet of some sort. But want something light but sturdy. Cast iron options seem too heavy.

I picked up some molasses the other day but not tried it yet. Hope to try a few things out this weekend.

One cook pot definitely makes it bit more difficult.
Especially if you are also relying on that pot to be receptacle for filtering water into, cooking in and making brews.
I'm thinking a billy can, a mess tin (probably be the crusader one as the lid works as a frying pan) and metal cup.
Its a really tough challenge I've made with this boone challenge aint it :)
Oh well gets the grey matter working.

Stu food looks good and interesting you didnt use mucb water. Too busy for brewin up?

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
One cook pot definitely makes it bit more difficult.
Especially if you are also relying on that pot to be receptacle for filtering water into, cooking in and making brews.
I'm thinking a billy can, a mess tin (probably be the crusader one as the lid works as a frying pan) and metal cup.
Its a really tough challenge I've made with this boone challenge aint it :)
Oh well gets the grey matter working.

Stu food looks good and interesting you didnt use mucb water. Too busy for brewin up?

It was hard with the one small billy I have to admit, say it that I did use the griddle that I take for the communial fire at group meets, aprt from taking part in the actvities of the group meet,

I ate drunk and slept as the Boone Challenge... saying that you def dont drink as much if your busy... and thought I was going to get through a lot more water... but will try to carry about 4 ltrs, the filtering water part will not be a problem as there is a tap within 600m of the main woodland, and thats only about 1.5K from the second woodland, across feilds so no big sheaks if you run out..

I dont think that the Challenge is HArd as such , but you need to prepare for it, most Bushcrafters/wild campers should be able to do it, as its only two nights, the biggest thing is getting organised so you dont run out of things like water/wood at the wrong time, and what to eat,

To many people these days do wild camping/bush craft the easy way with a big water carrier, and of course with teh advent of Boil in the bag and the technology of lighters, and jetboils we can soon lose sight of the basic skill of camping.. I know this is going to cause comments... If the boone challenge is not for you then please dont comment and unless your willing to take part in the callenge, in the sprit of it.....

I also had a Quick peek at the second wood that we will be using and it does not have as much wood on the floor as the one that we use... so I will have to say to people NO large fires while in the secondary woodland... saying that it should still be warmish that time of year.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Ah its all good fun aint it.
And it tests the skills

YOur right there, it is good fun, takes me back about 25+ years a go when I used to do it all the time :)..... yeah Hopefully I'll be getting some of those lost skills back..... its about time

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
LOL , Backwoods man badge I remeber that..

I do bushcraft, backwoods....:) for many reasons, but teh main reason is to get away from the moden day, and Boonie... has given me a new lease as such, and I am realy enjoying it.. :) may be out this weekend as well :)

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Last edited:
Thats Mr Kephart.
Not the right time frame but a good inspiration.
The Rogers Rangers food list is a good un. Not sure about rum though rather have stags breath or port....
Finished food quiver tonight/last night (I'm on night shift so to me its still Wednesday and I'm a tad confused)
And a wee pouch for flint n steel t stop its blasted rattling

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
He has a good series of info. He usually speaks to camera but for some reason we got irritating 'brush, brush' singing :)

Nothing new in the list I don't think but handy to see it in one place with a few links above on how to make some stuff.

I'm a whisky rather than Rum drinker by choice.

Tried trail bread on a suggestion by MOT. Early results are good but need to let it air dry fully and try it again. Tastes better than hard tack so far.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Tried trail bread on a suggestion by MOT. Early results are good but need to let it air dry fully and try it again. Tastes better than hard tack so far.

As far as breads go Ive tended to stick with bannock mix made at home, then just add flavours as I fancy them , ie friut/herbs/spice/meat..., took chese the other month and it melted, must ad mit it was that appelwood smoke :) so maybe try some chedder next.

I ve found a recipe for accorn soup, that I want to try...... I ve now started to look at NAtive Indian foods as well :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Thats Mr Kephart.
Not the right time frame but a good inspiration.
The Rogers Rangers food list is a good un. Not sure about rum though rather have stags breath or port....
Finished food quiver tonight/last night (I'm on night shift so to me its still Wednesday and I'm a tad confused)
And a wee pouch for flint n steel t stop its blasted rattling

been a busy bunny :).. cant wait to see your pics...

I'll have a look at the Rangers foods, think I may have already seen it, Kephart is a bit late but foods would not have changed much.. so as you say good info..

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
With less then a month to go, hows everyone's preparation going, lets get this thread going again,

I am now opening up the challenge to others. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE