Stropping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I've got a belt which has always been too stiff to be comfortable and it dawned on me that I could use it as a strop. Which side should I use and how often should I use it?

I have a repair to do on a damaged carving knife so its from start to finish this time!

Thanks in advance

Leo

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Use the flesh side as often as it needs to be used to maintain the edge that you want.

Whether you use it hanging from a hook and pull it tight, or glue it to a board, is up to you....
... as will the the addition of a stropping compound - blue smurf poo, solvol metal polish or toothpaste all are fine abrasives though you may not want to use anything and just let the leather work it's magic.

A good technique will pay dividends - careful turning of the blade to avoid rolling the edge and not the "swipeswipeswipe" that barbers use.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Flesh is the inside of the animal.

Generally speaking, I find it holds the compound better than the skin side which can allow it to slide off the leather and "gives" just enough to micro convex the edge of your knife.

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE