Staying awake and watching nature rise and sleep (Indian pracice?)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lush

Forager
Apr 22, 2007
Netherlands
Hi all,

It has been a long time since I was on the forum. I am here because I am looking for the name of a practice. I thought it was a practice of American indians, but I might be mistaken.

What I remember of this practice, but again, I am not sure if my memory serves me well.... is that it is practised by young adults when they are at the age of becomming an adult. They are going to sit, leaning back against a tree and just stay awake and not eat for as long as 24 hours (maybe even 72 hours). They experience nature waking up and going to sleep a few times in a row and it results in getting existential insights...

Are there ppl here that know what I am talking about? I hope it rings a bell and somebody can point me to some more information about this practice. Maybe even an organised/guided form to experience this myself..

Thanks in advance!

Martin

Lush

Forager
Apr 22, 2007
Netherlands
Hi guy's, I finally was able to find what I was looking for! Men..., I love Google search :)

My memory serves me better then I thought; it's pretty much what I described. Only..., now I have the name and can get in contact with ppl. that actually could help me prepare and maybe some aftercare if I decide to take on the challenge...

I guess it must be a really hard thing and serious too.. But very powerful and usable too. It totally depends on your attitude towards it. There are several western ppl. that help individuals through some form of guiding (as far as possible with solistic practice). I will include one random link for the ones that might be interested in finding out more...., just a starting point. Again, it's very random.. Enjoy.

Martin

p.s.: By far the best link I found is to a Dutch website. This guy has a lot of experience guiding it and also trains ppl. to learn guiding others. I am not sure if enlish is spoken in some of his vison quests. you can definatly ask. It wouldn't suprise me as this guy "has a mission". Cheers!

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Thanks for that bud.
Not many posts like this one ....😁

Sounds like an interesting concept and if I'm not mistaken that's what young Siddhartha did before enlightenment....

Either way, thanks for posting this and sharing such an interesting concept , for those who wish to explore more than just the outside world.

Sometimes​ , that peace we are looking for can only be found on the inside....

All the best!
👍👍

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
Wierd .. I just call it "getting up early and going out"

Which is exactly be what I'll be doing tomorrow. Out at 5am and sitting in a local wood waiting for dawn :)

Lush

Forager
Apr 22, 2007
Netherlands
Thanks for that bud.
Not many posts like this one ....

Sounds like an interesting concept and if I'm not mistaken that's what young Siddhartha did before enlightenment....

Either way, thanks for posting this and sharing such an interesting concept , for those who wish to explore more than just the outside world.

Sometimes​ , that peace we are looking for can only be found on the inside....

All the best!


Exactly! Thanks :) :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There's an odd(?) bonding which can go with this. My brother and I have sat, silently, and watched many sunrises and sunsets,
very close to the middle of nowhere. There are many "nowheres." We only ever spoke of it once, the very first time. I believe that we think of the few who have seen what we have seen. The Loons, the Pelicans, the Ravens. There's been no reason to discuss these things ever since.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Weird, me and son did the same for the first time last year. He was 21.
We woke up very early because some kind of non biting insect started irritating our faces. Smallish flies.
It was not a sunrise though as the sun never sets at that time of the year, but around 4 in the morning birds wake up and start doing what they do daytime.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE