Starting own vegetable plot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Scrubcutter - no need to consider yourself a killjoy, your actually bang on the money!

:You_Rock_

The housing estate is fairly new, built on the land that Warrington's old Carrington Wire Works used to be and ground contamination has crossed my mind.

Raised beds and the introduction of new soil in some areas should forestall any problems.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Hi folks.

We have just recently inherited half an allotment its approximate size is 40 ft x 15ft (old money) 12mts x 4.5mts new money. The plan is to grow all out own veggies and salad stuff for the future. We have a nice sized garden at the house and swmbo has just taken delivery of her early birthday present and 8ft X 6 ft greenhouse. This is going into a north east facing garden in the summer it will be in full sun from around 10:30 and has it on it until maybe 5:00 pm, so first question is will this be ok? we are complete novices only ever growing evergreen shrubs etc.

Secondly does anyone know of any good web resources for information and tips etc forums such as BCUKs would be helpful too. I am not the green fingered half so any information relayed will be very much appreciated.

manys thanks

Andy

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
As we had to give up our allotment, we started a new veg bed in the back garden.

garden1.jpg

so far only a few small shoots and some transplanted stuff...

chileanpine.jpg

This is a monkey puzzle seed we got from the botanics.. took ages to germinate..

http://www.allotments-uk.com/ is a good site for tips etc

http://www.fedaga.org.uk/ in Edinburgh

http://www.kitchengarden.co.uk/

scallywag

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 22, 2008
Europe
I wish a had more motivation to grow plants and stuff. I used to grow some in the past. Nothing fancy,just carrots, cucumbers, parsnips&parsley, radishes, strawberries, raspberries and currants. Now everything is gone, a was too lazy to be bothered. I'm left with the lawn and hedge (still a lot of work, darn!). Keeping my fingers crossed for you to have fun with the it!

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Lucky old me finally came to the head of the queue for an allotment here in mid-Wales last year. I bought a half share in an old rather heavdy duty rotavator to dig it up after using a petrol powered strimmer to clear it. As ever the first couple of years will be a struggle against rocks and weeds, especially the deep rooted perennials.

I like to go for the untrendy solution so have not gone for deep raised beds, but will be doing it the old fashioned way with long cultivated strips. Just put in my first early spuds and some Broad Beans, to be followed by Cabbage, Carrot and two further varieties of potato to keep supplies going throughout the year. Garlic and Onions went in last autumn/winter. My wife has a penchant for pumpkins and I have a lovely hot and raised spot for them. I may resurrect the polytunnel in the home garden after last years disaster and put a few Chilis in - they have previously done well but the weather last year was pitiful - together with the usual salads. Why do I always forget and have far too much all at once ?

Eventually I would like to move the polytunnel down to the allotment but not until there is water on tap.

The other allotments are the usual mix of brilliantly done, making some effort and frankly forgotten. Perhaps the oddest site is the allotment on which somebody appears to =be keeping a rather large horse while they go shopping in town. Not massively unusual around here as I have seen others outside the pub and local library too.

Now we get to play the game of guessing when the frosts have definitely passed.

Good luck !

Richard

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
I hope this doesn't read as off-putting. Whatever you choose, make sure the soil is good and not contaminated; a look at the historic use of the site will give some clues.

You have a good point there. Our house was built on virgin meadows in the 20s but still there is one patch in our garden where nothing will grow for more than about two years before dying. We think it is the site of a previous owners shed. Heaven knows what he was doing in it but there's something nasty in the ground alright.

But razed beds should preempt any problems you mite have, so good luck.

And I've found this site to be an excellent resource when ever I wont to find out the basics of how to grow something unfamiliar. If you ignore the occasional adverts that is.
http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/fruit_veg_mini_project_october_1_runner_bean.asp

Good luck and good gardening :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE