Tourniquet advice from a combat medic

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
For anybody unsure about anything related to CPR, or those who are trained and want to stay up to date. I would recommend signing up to the BRC website as then you will receive updates and information as well as be able to book free refresher courses.

@billycoen @Jared etc. :)

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I'm sorry that you think i'm wrong,but the information is from a front line medical professional,who had been doing the job for twenty years.Before Covid hit,the British Heart Foundation inline with the Resusitation Council put out a video starring Vinnie Jones,that stated the new guidelines of chest compressions only.
For the untrained but if you do a course you are still taught. Have done one? I'd recommend that over any YouTube video

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
You can do CPR when you’ve sweated over Resussie Annie and groaned when the print out shows you pressed too hard on a couple of your compressions or over inflated on one of your breaths and you’ve got to do it all again.

One of the trainers, who was also an examiner could stop her own heart so she knew when you were not applying sufficient pressure to stop blood flow or were pretending to feel a pulse.

Totally agree - get training!

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Nope. She would stop it and release it as part of her demo of pressure points. Before the Wizard of OZ gave me a tin heart I could slow mine down considerably and speed it up just a little.

Edited to add:
It’s not all that rare. There are Hindu ?priests? who do it as part of their rituals.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Nope. She would stop it and release it as part of her demo of pressure points. Before the Wizard of OZ gave me a tin heart I could slow mine down considerably and speed it up just a little.

Edited to add:
It’s not all that rare. There are Hindu ?priests? who do it as part of their rituals.

There are competition rifle shooters that can do it :)

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Slow the heart rate or speeding it up is one thing, anyone can do that through the breathing techniques. Noone can stop their heart, or more importantly restart it on command.

There is of course the old trick with a squash ball in the arm pit that magicians use

But you believe what you want

• Haha
Reactions: gg012 and Pattree

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Slow the heart rate or speeding it up is one thing, anyone can do that through the breathing techniques. Noone can stop their heart, or more importantly restart it on command.

There is of course the old trick with a squash ball in the arm pit that magicians use

But you believe what you want

Well, it depends what you mean by 'stop'. In my competition days I could remove one heart beat - so maybe that is 'slow'. But, you can believe what you want :)

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Well, it depends what you mean by 'stop'. In my competition days I could remove one heart beat - so maybe that is 'slow'. But, you can believe what you want :)
I don't mean anything. Pattree brought it up, by saying they know somone who can stop their heart at will while being able to analyse a students ability to find a pulse or secure a tornaque correctly.

I just don't believe it

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
TBH that's true of most CPR without an AED/defib.

If one is trained, breaths are still applied. They have to be applied for drowning.

Sorry I was being somewhat pedantic. Surely if you are a victim of drowning you are dead - as in dead without any chance of resuscitation?. I mean -cause of death - Drowned. Not near drowned and then changed their minds.

Happy to be corrected.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I don't think that's how 'drowning' is defined because we are taught (at first aid classes) to apply resuscitation following 'drowning' - but I agree, it does seem an odd terminology.

Maybe, the full term is 'dead from drowning' and drowning is just the inhalation of water.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I just don't believe it

I do not ask you to. I’m not an evangelist and I’m not selling a concept. I’m simply reporting my experience and that of many people passing through the Telford branch of Health & Safety Services ltd some 12 years ago.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I remember that one. At my training centre we had to sing Nelly the Elephant. Three years later on the refresher we had to sing two verses because the protocol had changed.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
I remember that one. At my training centre we had to sing Nelly the Elephant. Three years later on the refresher we had to sing two verses because the protocol had changed.

To be fair, two verses equates to exactly 30 compressions. That’s how I have done it since my first cpr course as a young teenager.

Reactions: Broch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE