Squirrels

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
Anybody tried them, eating them that is?

I'm sure this'll be a can of worms but it's part of the whole bushcraft life.

I've recently discovered I can quite easily get squirrels in "my" wood, it's over run with them!

I've heard they're good eating but they say that about rabbits and I dislike the taste of rabbit - no matter how it's cooked. Do squirrels taste the same / similar?

If I try it, I'd assume you prepare them pretty much the same as you would a rabbit, is that right?

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
It's the age old q. What does "xxx" taste like..."xxx" of course! They are gamey but not as strong as rabbit. Not as succulent as pigeon, not as dry as pheasant. Not dissimilar to hedgehog.

To prepare, if you want the faff, prep as for rabbit. There is some meat on the front legs and chest but very little. Cook VERY well- squirrels can carry some nasty diseases (but so can birds). To have without the effort, skin the back half, open up and gut, chop off the back legs across the spine. I like 'em.

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
Can't say I've ever tried hedgehog, but from your description I think I've got an idea taste-wise.

I always thought of rabbit as tasting somewhere between chicken, duck and turkey - so I'm guessing similar to chicken but not so chickeny lol.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I`ve tried it a few times NR and I quite like it, but I like rabbit aswell. Very similar in taste if you ask me.
Like widu said though, it`s a lot of hassle for not much meat.

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
Something sounds very wrong about that shewie :lmao: Wild squirrel marinaded in macdonalds sweet chilli sauce :rolleyes: Doesn't sound bad though :D

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Definitely worth a try; I prefere it to rabbit. If you have plenty though just use the rear legs; it's where 90% of the meat is and makes skinning/prepping much quicker.

I once started making a collection of good recipes for squirrel; I'll search it out sometime. Main rule is do not overcook or it will go dry. If you're grilling or cooking on an open fire baste it regularly. Added to a curry or put into a mixed game pie are my favourites. But lightly grilled with a sweet chilli dipping sauce makes a good starter :)

One last point, if you're in a town area, be aware that greys eat anything including songbird chicks and waste food!!

gunslinger

Nomad
Sep 5, 2008
Devon
I have eaten loads of them stewed or roasted with a bit of streaky bacon on top as the are a bit dry.
There is not much meat on them so its really back legs ,but as I have skinned it ,I use it all. Budget 2 per person for a decent portion.

My daughter when we lived in London used to go to school with a packed lunch containing cold squizzer. I thought the other kids would think she was a bit strange, but a lot of them tried it, and were ever after asking her when her dad was going to cook some more.

Rabbit tastes nothing like chicken at all but squirrel is very similar, my theory is that its down to the different diets but I am no expert.

Go for it IMO a very underestimated food source.

GS

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE