Softshell jackets, Why?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
I suppose softshell is not quite suited for british weather, you get too much rain. Softshells are best where there is little to no chance of rain. No point in dressing in gore-tex or the likes in dry weather, you just boil to death in your own sweat.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Definite Buffalo or polartec 300 for me at least for outdoors. The soft shell i call it for the town.
Although pertex is classed as a softshell, that one is great for the outdoors. Used a Buffalo wind shirt in the past and it was packable and great for stops

pieinthesky

Forager
Jun 29, 2014
Northants
I was reading this wondering what a soft shell jacket was.

After a quick google I realized that I have one, bought for work a few years back and rarely worn as it is uncomfortable, too warm indoors and not warm enough outdoors!

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I have an Arcteryx softshell jacket. It's the Gamma LT (IIRC). it's my go-to jacket for almost everything I do outdoors. Lightweight, very breathable and sheds light rain. It drys very quickly. Generally I'll wear a light base layer underneath. It's very comfortable and hard wearing. I've had it for quite a few years and it still looks almost good as new. If it ever falls apart I'll replace it immediately.

When im out in the hills It's my outer layer when I'm moving. Admittedly it's not very windproof, but I find a long sleeved, light baselayer underneath is adequate for all but the strongest winds.

Ultimately, it's all about finding a suitable layering system that suits the individual. And a softshell is a good investment (in my humble opinion). You'll never find a one-size-fits-all item.

A good lightweight combination for colder days is a Helly Hansen Lifa Thermal top (long sleeve) under a softshell.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
A shell is just a shell against wind (and rain if it is a hardshell), it´s not supposed to warm you. Insulation and warmth comes from the layers under the shell.
Except for buffalo Mountain shirt,special 6 etc. You wear that as a single layer.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I used to be very active in the lakes, out every weekend, often doing overnighter, even doing evenings and Friday afternoons. I remember going 18 months straight in the lakes without wearing a single hardshell waterproof layer. It did rain but miraculously not when I was free to walk or it was so little my softshell was enough. It was great as the softshells I had were infinitely more comfortable than any fleece/hardshell waterproof or windshirt alternative system.

BTW aiui simple, thin windshirts are not softshell. A softshell is insulation with wind resistance. The best ones I had were not 100% windproof neither. By best i mean the ones that worked the best for me.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Gave it another try. Just not for me that particular material softshell, wore a Helly layer and a mid layer on Monday for a walk and was cold, wind just sailed through

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I have some I wear for work, they're much better than a fleece cos at least theyre windproof to some extent.
The best one cost £8.50 on Ebay and is made by Matterhorn, its a promotional one with branding from a type of lorry taillift all over it.
Sawdust and shavings don't get caught up in it like they do in fleeces.
Some are too hot, get one thats better vented or thinner, it's just not rocket science.

Reactions: SaraR

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
As we can see from the variety of clothing items mentioned soft shell is used to cover a wide range of kit.

I seem to remember an article about it being a specific technical offering from Patagonia. A product designed to NOT be like a Buffalo or Paramo item.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE