So what are you giving up for lent?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Hello all,

In my foolishness I have decided to give up meat (but not fish...or protein shakes) for lent. I'd like to try it for several reasons, in short as an exercise of self control, so that I will explore some more varied food groups, so I will appreciate meat more when I go back to it, so that I can lose a little more body fat (I'm not in bad shape at the moment but I don't look like a body builder!) and also as an experiment to see if my taste buds become more acute.

I think it will be extraordinarily hard, as I eat a wide variety of meat and game, but it's worth a try!

So what are you giving up and why?

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
I wouldn't say I'm particularly religious either, and this has nothing to do with that aside from being a conveniently placed 40 days!

xylaria

I am thinking of giving up alcohol for bit. Forgot about the christian thing of lent, i haven't wilfully stepped into a church or any form of religious building in decades, and dont plan to. However a bit abstinance is good for mental resolve, and promotes mindfulness.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Fire up the wagon, I'm exiting the stage. :sulkoff:

GH.jpg
[video=youtube;ZgT1beCmlpU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgT1beCmlpU&feature=related[/video]

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I got dragged into a chocolate abstinence thing with two lasses once. Just before Easter I asked them how they'd done. They had forgotten about it as one lasted to the first evening and the second lasted a day and a half. Anyway, I didn't think much of it until Xmas eve when my Folks gave me some chocolates. It had been my first one since Lent started and I'd forgotten what chocolate tasted like!

I think I can give up anything I want to give up IF I had a reason. The two lasses were kind of my good reasons... well not totally good!! Was it worth it?? Only for the enjoyment of that first choc on Xmas Eve, I never got far with the lasses.

Anyway this year I will give up smoking. Just one thing. Can anyone lend me a cig as I need to take it up first!! If something is good to give up for Lent it's good for any time of the year IMHO.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Still haven't completely decided but I was thinking of giving up recreational use of the internet, which would obviously include this forum. If I think of something else I'll post it here later though. Why? Well for me it is a religious thing. That said, why did Ithink of the internet? Well something I enjoy and something I haven't tried before.

I have tried the chocolate thing before also; and carbonated drinks (that was harder for me than I thought it would be) I don't smoke anyway and haven't really drank alcohol (other than an occasional glass with dinner, perhaps three or four times a year) since I was diagnsed as diabetic 14 years ago.

Last edited:

Lee Wright

Forager
Mar 9, 2009
Nottingham
I'd not considered this at all to be honest but I think it may be a good excuse to put a start date to the next thing I would like to give up, soft drinks! I gave up smoking on the 2nd of Jan, nothing to do with new years, I started a course of tablets two weeks before and that was the date I was supposed to stop!

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I was discussing this with someone recently and i suggested a few things but she said it was not a big enough thing to give up. The view was if you are not too fussed about something then it is not sufficient as a Lent abstinence thing. The trouble is if you are not religious then anything that is too much a part of your life but isn't harmful is harder to give up. Whilst giving those things up for Lent is the whole idea for those with the religion it is kind of not for those of us who are using it as a kind of fast or health lifestyle incentiviser.

Without intending to sound "holier than thou" I actually have no really harmful vices. I drink but maybe one or two days a week (at the weekend) and only a glass or two of wine or other alcoholic drink. I don't eat too many chocolates or any other snack that is full of refined sugar, only in moderation. I don't smoke, I exercise regularly and my diet is sufficiently full of fruit, veg and other healthy foodstuffs.

I do have the outdoors as a vice though but since it isn't a religious thing with me I WON'T give that up.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I was discussing this with someone recently and i suggested a few things but she said it was not a big enough thing to give up. The view was if you are not too fussed about something then it is not sufficient as a Lent abstinence thing. The trouble is if you are not religious then anything that is too much a part of your life but isn't harmful is harder to give up...

And often the things that ARE harmful are hard to give up. LOL. Religious or not.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE