So I've just weighed my kit..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

billymitchell90

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2013
Scotland, Dundee
Just weighed my kit MINUS a litre of water, some chicken and some rice.. And I'm at 10.1 kg. What you guys think? This good? This bad? Always room for improvement I guess..

I mean there are a few things I probably could take away like the 2 little books I have, The 2 small torches (just use head torch), 1 very small tarp (1m x 1m I think). I don't have best of gear but I like what I have.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Just weighed my kit MINUS a litre of water, some chicken and some rice.. And I'm at 10.1 kg. What you guys think? This good? This bad? Always room for improvement I guess..

I mean there are a few things I probably could take away like the 2 little books I have, The 2 small torches (just use head torch), 1 very small tarp (1m x 1m I think). I don't have best of gear but I like what I have.

The kit weight is relative to kit contents. Generally 10kg is a nice weight to aim for if trying to go lightweight. However if you have basically nothing in back except sleeping bag and tent then 10kg is a lot if you get what I mean.

Have you made a kit list with individual weights? You should check out http://www.lighterpack.com It's a great way to keep an eye, improve or just share lists with each other. You can obviously use a speadsheet etc but this is much easier/more visual.

I have a new WIP list in my signature :)

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I was starting to look at lightening my kit back in February which no doubt I would obsess over. Then someone on here made a comment on how much extra fat most of us carry which made me think. I went on a diet and so far I'm down 28 Lbs (12.7 kgs)

Spending £100's to lighten by a few ounces? In most cases this is a fools game.

Depends too on how far you are carrying that kit for. If I was aiming at 30 miles a day I would want to carry less than 10kg. If I was walking a couple miles from my car then twice or more is no big deal.

However If I was planning a trek at altitude where my lungs would scream at every extra ounce it would be very different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Spending £100's to lighten by a few ounces? In most cases this is a fools game.

Depends on if you can afford it or not. And who really spends £100's to shed a "few ounces"? More often than not its because they like the bit of equipment or clothing and the lighter weight is just a bonus. The more expensive gear lightens far more than a few ounce.

Also to each his own as some people (including myself) find enjoyment in trying new kit and optimizing current. It's as much a part of the hobby as actually been outdoors.

If you're able to lighten your kit without losing any functionality, why not?

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
No it's not as much a part of the hobby as being outdoors!

Knowledge weighs nothing.

Not necessarily about money either. Often more durable, better quality kit is not the lightest. A number of folks on here like "retro"

Each to their own. My point is that throwing money at an already light pack that never goes more than 100 yards from a car is purely a waste of resource.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
No it's not as much a part of the hobby as being outdoors!

Who are you to say that it isn't? It's a personal thing and enjoyment is different for everybody. As I said "some people" enjoy it and for some its as much as part of the hobby is as been outdoors. It may not be for you and you're entitled to your own opinion and your own enjoyment the same as others are.

Knowledge weighs nothing.

Not necessarily about money either.

It's you who brought money into it in first place?

You can still get some really nice lightweight kit on a budget so the cost is irrelevant. If somebody wants to lighten their weight and enjoys optimizing kit, who are you to say its wrong or not part of their hobby?

A number of folks on here like "retro"

Each to their own.

Exactly my point.

Everybody has their own preferences and enjoys different aspects.

My point is that throwing money at an already light pack that never goes more than 100 yards from a car is purely a waste of resource.

You're making an assumption.

Who's to say OP or other people in general only go 100 yrds from car?

A lot of people have 2 styles of kit, one for woods, local places or locations not far from car and another where they're going to be doing long treks. For example I have a much heavier more durable kit that I use for woods but also have separate for longer treks like the newer one |I'm putting together for this summer.

However you are wholeheartedly correct about losing body weight and that is one of my goals this year :) (I just find it easier to lose weight on kit first lol)

Last edited:

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
gentlemen you both need to calm down both of you have a point of view lets not have a battle at this time of the morning my own view for myself is I'm disabled if i could afford lightweight gear no matter how far i had to walk thats what i would go with as it suits my circumstances so really it every person to there own thing regards dave

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
gentlemen you both need to calm down both of you have a point of view lets not have a battle at this time of the morning my own view for myself is I'm disabled if i could afford lightweight gear no matter how far i had to walk thats what i would go with as it suits my circumstances so really it every person to there own thing regards dave

Which was exactly the point I was making.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I think you are both right. I use lightweight for the mountains and i use a fat pack when i go to a meet as i like my creature comforts. Ive spent a lot lightening the load but then the bulk of my trips are up mountains so it pays its dues. If i saw someone with an 8kg pack going 100 yards from their car i would laugh at them a lot :D (kit testing aside)

There doesnt need to be battleground between ultralight and more robust kit. It all works and if the person toting it can lift their pack and get to where they need to go then alls good.

what i hate is both camps rubbishing the other.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Same here. Take everything for a 2 week cross country walk (except food) in 1 55l rucksack quite happily. Also, very happy to load up the car with Lavuu (12kg) frontier stove (10kg) camp bed (14kg) kitchen box (??kg) etc etc etc...

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
I tend to use the most appropriate kit for the job at hand, if I have it, but I am a gear *****. So for family camping it's heavy robust kit, for the woods if I'm not travelling far then it's comfort not weight, if it's wild camping then the lighter the better. Where I can, I double up the usage to keep the cost down, but I think part of the joy, for me, is collecting, testing and researching kit. Life is all about compromise. On my recent trip to Abergwesyn, my kit weight was 14Kg, but that included water, food and half of my sons kit, I think what drives my kit weight is actually pack size ie the lighter weight gear tends to take up less volume and I'm more focused on only taking what I need. I try not to obsess about weight, when I was in the army we would carry ridiculous amounts of heavy kit, think 100 lbs plus, so 14Kg now for me is luxury. Finally what works for me, works for me and everyone has there own take on needs and wants and what works for them.

billymitchell90

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2013
Scotland, Dundee
The kit weight is relative to kit contents. Generally 10kg is a nice weight to aim for if trying to go lightweight. However if you have basically nothing in back except sleeping bag and tent then 10kg is a lot if you get what I mean.

Have you made a kit list with individual weights? You should check out http://www.lighterpack.com It's a great way to keep an eye, improve or just share lists with each other. You can obviously use a speadsheet etc but this is much easier/more visual.

I have a new WIP list in my signature :)

Ill have to do this when I get a bit more of time. I mean I have everything I need in it ( I think )

billymitchell90

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2013
Scotland, Dundee
Quick rundown on what I have in my bag.

Sleeping Bag (4 season BUT was very cheap doubt it actually would do 4 seasons)
Self inflating mat
DD Hammock
Tarp x2
Para cord

Gas canister
Stove head
Cruisader Cup
Spork
Water Bottle (Empty at time of weighing it)
Cup

2 x Small torches
1 x Headlight
first aid kit
fire starting kit
another wee tub with cup of soups ,green tea, salt,pepper, sweeteners, tinfoil, etc
2 tiny books (the book of knots and living off the land)
Folding saw
Knife
scarf, gloves and a wooly jumper
and a wee bit of loo roll!
Its all packed away so thats me trying to remember from what I put in but thats everything I need (I think anyway)

what you guys think? got too much? not enough?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE