Snakes and spiders and such

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rambling Man

Apr 10, 2010
SE England
Hi folks,
Assuming you were sleeping under a tarp,in a warm climate,on the ground, in an area where"things" can bite,what would be most peoples set up to keep the "biteys"out?
Please don't ask me to use a hammock... !

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
no for real now......you can get small dome shaped mozi nets, there a bit like small dome tents, this will keep out all the critters you dont want near you far enough away..........

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i found the dome shaped better as they keep out scorpions and millies you dont want them getting under the net and into your doss bag......the dissadvantage is that they are a bit more heavy to carry, and it also depends on your set up ie flat ground etc etc.......

hope this helps...

chris............................................................

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Or a wedge shaped mossie net suspended under your tarp and tucked in under whatever you are sleeping on.

I really wouldn't want to rely on that anywhere where it matters. Ants are incredibly good at finding their way through even the tiniest chinks, and you really don't want to wake up with bullet ants in your doss bag.

What's the objection to hammocking? It's the right tool for the job...

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
DD travel hammock with built in mozzie net and waterproof base laid on the ground? I used this setup in the summer with a couple of trekking poles holding up the net on a paracord ridge line. Kept the midges out a treat.

Rambling Man

Apr 10, 2010
SE England
Ah...the old hammock debate!
I have tried it but did nt get much kip,i prefer sleeping on my side and found it a tad uncomfortable.....i suppose i should try it again???
I was going along the route of tucking my mossie net under the bivy bag.....but i also quite like the idea of being "zipped"inside something,if needs be.I suppose the answer would be to sew a floor onto the mossie net,but don't have machine to hand at the moment.Was also looking at adating the Golite shangri-la 1 inner nest to rig up under the tarp....(dry gulp)more money to spend?!
The DD hammock set up on the floor makes sense.....especially if i get a taste for sleeping at heights!!!
Chris -nice idea but a bit on the heavy side for my liking.
Cheers one and all

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
DD travel hammock with built in mozzie net and waterproof base laid on the ground? I used this setup in the summer with a couple of trekking poles holding up the net on a paracord ridge line. Kept the midges out a treat.

Any hammock with a bugnet, if it's a breathable one I'd just lay it over a tarp/poncho/bivvy. IMO a non-breathable hammock is a bad compromise.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE