Smallest meths burner?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
I'm hunting around for a small meths burner - ideally something that can live inside my bushcooker as a backup. I guess I could make one out of a tin can, but would prefer something with a screw top so that I can travel with it charged up.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Tobes

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I would say a red bull home made burner. You can soon work out how much meths to use to boil the required amount, you only need to carry a small bottle of meths then.
Dave

conall

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2009
southampton
If you can get your hands on one of the older silvo/brasso cleaning tins with the screw cap you can make a trangia copy :rolleyes:

conall

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2009
southampton
or you could like I have done and make a gram weenie copy with an empty can of my mrs deodant cans with a concave neck on them. :lmao:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The Tatonka burner's are awesome, don't know if it'll fit inside a bushcooker though.

I don't mind measuring up tomorrow if you give me the inside diameter of the stove.

EDIT:

The Tatonka measures 75mm x 55mm

I've heard super light weight hikers suggest using the foil cup from a tea light. Doesnt get much lighter or smaller than that, although not sure how many refills you'd need to boil a mug!
Personally I also use the Tatonka, which fits inside most of my combos. Also have the stand which is a good lightweight option, although you need to slightly rebend the legs to put a crusader on there...

http://www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk/acatalog/Tatonka.html#aTT017

burnerstand.jpg

huntsmanbob

Jul 9, 2009
norwich
In my hobo stove outfit i use trangia burner nice long burn time easy to control, if you want some thing small and light coke/bull cans are the way to go.:) :) :)

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Have a look at an antique shop they often have small tins that could be used as a burner.

another idea, I used to use a US army cooker called a "wood alcohol stove" it was literally a tin of meths type fuel and you lit it, no fancy burner jets, just a tin like this:
(mine didn't even have the mesh)
KIT_SPIRT_COOKER.JPG

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Thanks again all. I've just picked up a Highlander burner for £5 - it's smaller than the Trangia, and fits easily inside a bushcooker. Will give it a try tomorrow.

Tobes

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Maybe not the smallest, but I have just bought (and used) a whitebox stove which sits inside my Bushbuddy for storage/transport and uses the bushbuddy as a windshield when in use. Works a treat and weighs next to nothing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE