Making my latest burner and pot stand

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 21, 2023
Harrogate
I do this almost every spring, start making a new stove for camping. I've been through lots of types - wood-gas, simple twig burners, charcoal stoves, fan-assisted twig stoves, mini twin-wall perlite-insulated rocket stoves - and last year I finally got sick of trying to get found sticks to burn in a tin can in Britain, lol, and switched to ethanol.

I bought some little aluminium tins with screw-top lids, about 55 x 20 mm., next to nowt on eBay, and stuffed one with rockwool and topped it with aluminium mesh from Halfords. I mocked up a bean can pot stand last year and had one trip out on my bike, and it worked fairly well, but I wanted to make something folding or packable, and today I finished putting it together.

Link to pics at FB: stove

I'm happy with the stand. It slots together at the corners, and packs to almost flat. The burner isn't great, but workable. Although it's probably fine to use just with the open top and gives a good heat, the flame meanders around quite a lot, and I have a silicone pot-cosy that I've scorched once already, and I'm also not 100% sure how the stand will fare either. So I just did one test with a lid on the burner with a smaller hole in the centre - it's at the bottom of the second picture at the link. A mug of water took best part of half an hour to bring to the boil, so it'll be good for a simmer setting!

Instead of taking the lid off for the high-heat setting, I'm thinking of making something like a penny stove with another lid - a hole about 1 cm. in the centre that a "penny" (or similar) can go over, and a circle of small holes for jets around that, angled inwards. These jars come with a plastic insert for an air-tight seal, but they seem to be air-tight without it, so the stove should build up a little pressure and be more resistant to the wind blowing it about.

My usual pot is actually an aluminium drink bottle (without a plastic liner as most have) that I use as a kettle, and sits down in the recesses of the stand sides, so it's held securely, but a pan would also sit on top on the corners a bit higher. If the stand doesn't melt, the open top burner might work well with a pan.

Reactions: Crac

Crac

Apr 5, 2023
North
I've made a few penny stoves.

8 jet holes is what I'd start with, I found the jet holes need a lot of space on either side. I used the width of my finger (About 20 mm). A single row works best.

0.35 mm jets is about the smallest that works without clogging up. I think I ended up with 0.50 mm drill bits after a series of build and test. You can enlarge the jet hole if the base of the flame is too high above the stove.

Reactions: CraftyWild
Apr 21, 2023
Harrogate
Hi Crac. I tried the penny stove idea with this burner, but it didn't seem to work. I put a central hole in the top about 8 mm. across and eight holes around that of about 1 mm. I gave it a bit of starter fuel and it lit at the central hole, so I thought it was going to bloom from there, but it died down and went out.

I wondered since if I didn't give it enough primer fuel and it didn't heat up enough, but I thought if one of these gets going even slowly, it'll heat itself up and bloom. Maybe not. I'll give it another try with more heat to start, perhaps. At the time, I thought I'd just got the whole design principle wrong and a penny stove has double walls or something, so I switched to using the open top to do a boil test. That seems to work well, and it might be the best and simplest solution, requiring no priming.

I made progress on the boil time, getting it down to about 12 minutes for 250 ml. (or "a decent mugful") on a cold evening with a breeze blowing, and I'm now tweaking the windshield, insulation below the burner, height of the kettle above the stove, etc., to improve that. Since I'll be wanting to boil all my found water, and rehydrating dried food, a decent mugful doesn't go far at all.

One thing I certainly got wrong with this stand is too much air. I'm used to making burners for sticks, and it's so easy to choke them if the air flow isn't good enough, but alcohol seems to be a lot more forgiving of being closed in, and needs keeping the wind off. So I'm learning I can cosy the burner and kettle up quite well with a close windshield and it just keeps going. I'm using the Fire Dragon ethanol, the liquid stuff not gel.

From what you say, it sounds like you got the pressure up and jets going well - presumably with the penny on - I didn't get as far as putting a coin on the middle hole. Thanks for the tips!

Reactions: Ozmundo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE