Signal Crayfish

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Good points there Matt. I also read yesterday about the specifics of the trap - you shouldn't just throw in any trap - there are dimensions and devices to avoid inadvertently trapping other specimens such as otters.

MattW

Forager
Jun 2, 2005
Warrington, UK
scanker said:
Good points there Matt. I also read yesterday about the specifics of the trap - you shouldn't just throw in any trap - there are dimensions and devices to avoid inadvertently trapping other specimens such as otters.

Quite right Scanker - I'd forgotten that.
Many otters are killed each year in legal and illegal fish and eel traps.

Matt

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Quite right Matt. The 'trapping advice pack' they send covers this and more.

Here in France it is illegal (heavy penalties) to move them anywhere. It's OK to catch them (with a licence, traps are limited, depends on department) but you have to kill them on the spot before transportation.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
tetra_neon said:
I am heading to Jamtland, Sweden in Sept. with 3 others and we were thinking about carrying a trap each

for example: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CRAYFISH-NET-...ryZ72648QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

for when we get fed up of eating the char/pike/perch etc.

Does anyone have any tips for catching in swedish inland waters?
tetra_neon, personally I would go for a plastic trap as net ones tend to catch on snags easily and keep a better shape. Something like one of these;

Skanemjarden

American site with details of use and efficiency of this model:

BLUEBOY Crayfish Trap

or the one I use;

Trappy Crayfish Trap

The cylindrical shape with bottom weights means it nearly always sits properly on the bottom, whereas square profile may not. Also the are less prone to snagging etc. It also has a bait box inside which means the bait lasts longer. You will need some cord for setting.

You can buy it here in the UK from;

Solway - Cylindrical Crayfish Trap

Costs £15.50 &p+p

But I would wait and buy some over there were they sell for around 90 - 99 SEK (£6 - £7) Most decent angling shops sell them in Sweden. For example;

Regal Sportsfisk - Kräftmjärde ”Trappy”

The crayfish season in Sweden starts around August 8, and continues for about six weeks. I am pretty sure you need a fishing licence for the appropriate region.

For specific info on fishing in Jämtlands region check out this site (with English too);

Fiske i Jämtlands län

English Page;

Fishing In Jämtland

The PRINT-OUTS Section offers excellent leaflets and maps of specific areas.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE