Signal Crayfish

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I just posted on River Cottage about the signal crayfish on the F-word last night. I thought it a bit naughty not to mention the licence required to catch crayfish and also the fact that you should never (ever) put any Signal Crayfish back (perhaps if they're too small) as you are technically introducing a non-native species and can be prosecuted. That said, they looked very tasty. :D

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
scanker said:
I just posted on River Cottage about the signal crayfish on the F-word last night. I thought it a bit naughty not to mention the licence required to catch crayfish and also the fact that you should never (ever) put any Signal Crayfish back (perhaps if they're too small) as you are technically introducing a non-native species and can be prosecuted. That said, they looked very tasty. :D

Actually, he did mention you need a license... But not about returning..

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
weekend_warrior said:

Yep I heard that bit. Better yet the other half was watching & she loves prawns etc. Might get some leeway there.

Is the Medway affected by these eddible pests ?

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
So they're considered a pest but you need a licence to catch them? That seems a bit odd, I would have thought they would be happy people were pulling them out of the water...

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
dommyracer said:
So they're considered a pest but you need a licence to catch them? That seems a bit odd, I would have thought they would be happy people were pulling them out of the water...

Common sense does not apply to Government work :confused:
(Hope this is not too political for this site)

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
weekend_warrior said:

Fair enough - must have missed that. I think that EA licence is postcode dependent, but you should also have a valid rod licence too. :rolleyes:

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
scanker said:
Fair enough - must have missed that. I think that EA licence is postcode dependent, but you should also have a valid rod licence too. :rolleyes:

Rod license not required for "fixed engine" trapping. The new Bylaw allows all regions to issue licences and they are free. (used to be only Thames region before)

If you call the National Fisheries Laboratory on 01480 483968, they have a trapping booklet and can provide advice.

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Crikey. Wrong again. I'd better get the information pack! :22: At least one in that programme was caught with a rod though (or did I mis-see that as well? :rolleyes: ).

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
For most up to date, official information check out the DEFRA web site;

DEFRA - Crayfish

To clariy the new byelaw legislation I quote from the site:
NATIONAL CRAYFISH TRAPPING BYELAWS

On 1 June 2005, the Environment Agency introduced a package of crayfish Byelaws that will allow them, under certain conditions, to approve the trapping of crayfish in England and Wales. In the past only the Thames Region of the Environment Agency had the authority to allow this activity.

The hope is that the byelaws will aid in the control non-native populations, and where appropriate, commercially exploit them. They also hope that these byelaws will go some way towards protecting the remaining native crayfish populations.

If you are thinking of trapping crayfish you should bear in mind that there are a number of conditions that need to be met. Permission to trap will be dependent on local situations, in particular the presence of the native crayfish. The EA will also take into account the possible detrimental effect that trapping could have on other species, such as protected animals like otters and water voles. Many water courses go through private properties and it will be your responsibility to obtain the permission of the landowner before you commence. You should also try and ensure that the traps are inspected every 24 hours, and disinfected after use.

You should also be aware that if you reintroduce the caught crayfish into any other waters, without the required licence, you could be liable for prosecution under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 and this could result in a heavy fine.

We would strongly advise you to seek advice from your local Environment Agency Officer before you make an application.

Crayfish trapping advice packs are available from the National Fisheries Laboratory 01480 483968. Further information on these byelaws can be found on the Environment Agency website.
source: http://www.defra.gov.uk/fish/freshwater/crayfish.htm#trapping

There are various parts of England and Wales where licences are not required to keep crayfish of the species Pacifastacus leniusculus (Signal Crayfish). Further information showing postcode areas can be found on this downloadable .pdf file (30kb). Check the site for latest version (posted 03/08/06) :

Areas where licences are not required to keep species Pacifastacus leniusculus .pdf file (30kb)

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
scanker said:
Crikey. Wrong again. I'd better get the information pack! :22: At least one in that programme was caught with a rod though (or did I mis-see that as well? :rolleyes: ).

Well, it was hanging from the tip of his son's rod, after he'd been poking the crayfish with it... so, technically, yes! :D

But a fixed engine, i.e. those wire traps will pull a few more in... :D

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Am I right in presuming that you would find signal crayfish in areas with the postcodes on the above linked list and areas not on that list don't yet have a signal population?

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
scanker said:
Am I right in presuming that you would find signal crayfish in areas with the postcodes on the above linked list and areas not on that list don't yet have a signal population?

I don't think the Signal Cray is territorial or can read - as far as I can tell the buggers are everywhere. I think that the postcode bit relates to where White Clawed Crays still exist, so trapping must be much more regulated there to ensure no further reduction in White Claw numbers.

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
scanker said:
But the list is of areas where a licence is not required.

So that'll be the areas where White claw no longer exist then.. Or something like that!! :lmao: :D

I'll need to re-read it all to be sure and I can't be ar... bothered right now. :rolleyes: ;)

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
scanker said:
The licence list of postcodes is areas where you do not need a licence to keep crayfish. It means being able to take them home after catching them. The new byelaw allows individual water authorities to grant licences to trap crayfish on a location by location basis (so the postcodes indicate those areas already infested with non-native crayfish but does not mean there are no native crayfish present). They are two separate issues
The byelaw changes restrict accidental or deliberate transportation of alien crayfish and ‘crayfish plague’, whilst still allowing the legitimate trapping of the crustaceans.
Permission to trap crayfish will be dependant on the local situation in particular the presence of the native white claw crayfish.
source: Environmental Agency - Trapping

If you want to trap crayfish Signal crayfish phone the National Fisheries Laboratory (01480 483968) and ask for a 'trapping advice pack'. Fill it out (best to call and clarify any points you are not sure about) and you get the licence. Costs nothing :)

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
dommyracer said:

Yeah, you think they'd be offering free traps and encourageing the unrestricted trapping of am all over the country.

MattW

Forager
Jun 2, 2005
Warrington, UK
There are many issues regarding the trapping of signal crayfish.
While on the face of it a 'free for all' sounds great, it could actually cause more problems than it solves.
A few issues to consider:

Can you positively identify signal crayfish (and other alien invasives) as opposed to natives? (and I mean positively - including immature specimens. The f-word programme was less than helpful 'well natives are smaller and er... paler'). Juveniles are much harder to tell apart than adults as their colouring and features are much less pronounced. It is an offence to handle or otherwise molest natives.

Do you sterilise your trapping equipment? - It is fairly certain that while signals are to some extent amphibious, much of their spread has been caused by inadvertent translocation due to larval signal fry being transferred on equipment. Signal crayfish also harbour disease which is fatal to natives.

Do you know that (as noted above) you *must not* return *any* signal crayfish to the water (especially including small specimens)? Don't forget that licences are granted to help solve the invasive crayfish problem, not to produce a sustainable fishery - there is no such thing as an 'undersize' signal crayfish (however see above - can you tell the diference?).

Do you know that you must not under any circumstances translocate signal crayfish (or indeed natives)? Some brainless idiots stock their local waters with signals so that they can trap them - they deserve stringing up by their goolies.

If in any doubt, contact your local environment agency office:
http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/

Sorry to sound negative, but I have an 'interest' in this issue and would not hesitate to report anyone illegally trapping crayfish to the authorities.

Matt

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE